Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 04-23-2008, 10:19 PM   #51
KontanKarite

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I'm following a long American tradition. When things go south, go north!

Are you implying that the American people CAN'T change anything about their country?

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 PM   #52
killer_asian_Dax

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Are you implying that the American people CAN'T change anything about their country?

I'm not going to speak for her in answering your question, but what I pulled from her comment is not so much that the American people can't, but it's that they won't.

From what I've noticed the American people have grown lazy. They've come to believe that despite how much things suck, there's nothing they can do to change it. They've forgotten that they can make a difference. That it all starts with 1. I'm sure this has much to do with government conditioning through the media and other sources, but I could be wrong.

So depending on the person's personal feelings, the next best thing would just be to remove themself completely, physically from the situation/problem.

"People get the government they deserve."

Through their own inaction, this is what they've received.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:47 AM   #53
KontanKarite

I agree, Dax. I agree.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:50 AM   #54
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
I just find that dear Hillary and I follow different moral codes. Sort of like Ghandi and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
But you don't know anything about Hillary's actual moral code, she could be naive and puppeted. I don't think so, but you don't really know. And calling people "dear" condescendingly is transparently young. I'm just pointing out to you--very few grown women do that.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM   #55
blackwater1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombiesNTea
Obama is purchased by the Nuclear, Banking, and Investment industries so I don't know what you're talking about. And his platform is virtually the same as hers. He just speaks more eloquently, while she's a cold-hearted bitch.

He's another bought and sold politician, with a comfy candy coating.
OK, I looked up Obama's major donors. They're the same as Hillary's. Point taken.
blackwater1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 PM   #56
raggedyanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_asian_Dax
I'm not going to speak for her in answering your question, but what I pulled from her comment is not so much that the American people can't, but it's that they won't.

From what I've noticed the American people have grown lazy. They've come to believe that despite how much things suck, there's nothing they can do to change it. They've forgotten that they can make a difference. That it all starts with 1. I'm sure this has much to do with government conditioning through the media and other sources, but I could be wrong.

So depending on the person's personal feelings, the next best thing would just be to remove themself completely, physically from the situation/problem.

"People get the government they deserve."

Through their own inaction, this is what they've received.
Exactly! It's not that we've forgotten, but we've been discouraged. It's a bit hard to get excited about an election when it's beung run like a reality TV show. I think that Obama is, at least, the sanest of the candidates. Sadly I'm too young to vote.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 PM   #57
ArtificialOne

Third party!

Go robots!

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
http://www.myspace.com/lifeasartificial
ArtificialOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:18 AM   #58
CptSternn

They should open up the race to third parties as well as allow multiple candidates from each party. They do that here in Ireland and the UK. You can have 2-5 candidates in an election - ALL from the same party. That way if you don't like one, you can pick another.

Our elections here we get like 10-15 people we can vote for, and many are all in the same party. Personally, I think it makes things better as you really have a better group to choose from.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:40 AM   #59
ArtificialOne

It used to be that way here up until the 60's when the country became more polarized.

I would very much like to see more parties and more candidates as that would open the field to having the govt truly represent the diverse view of the populace so to speak.

“More persons, on the whole, are humbugged by believing in nothing, than by believing too much”
P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #60
KontanKarite

Like a Ron Paul that was pro-choice. :-/

Old 05-10-2008, 09:01 PM   #61
ArtificialOne

I hear some people saying that the media is a de facto propaganda wing of the govt. I think that's false. I do though believe they very much push their own political agendas and put major spin on topics. One of my major gripes in the last week with them is context. Sure if you say "four people were gunned down by police today" that sounds horrible, but if you say "the police shot four known mass murdering rapists" it sounds allot different. Thing is most of the media doesn't give context in their short blurbs and people don't stick around to hear the rest of the story. So most people walk away very upset and with false ideas of what happened. You can see how that would lead to false ideas and what not..

P.T. Barnum

Vist me:
Old 05-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #62
ZombieG

I'm not really ecstatic to see any of the candidates become the next president. The least of the worst is Obama, but the circumstances involving this election in the broad perspective already hint at it being a joke in the end. Why the train stops with Hillary, I'm not entirely sure. Even Obama has admitted the difference between his and Hillary's platform are mostly rhetorical or minuscule otherwise.

I'm just going to write-in Solid Snake.
ZombieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:40 AM   #63
Mir

I hope that after this long, protracted battle for nomination, Republicans win it in the end. Make them both look stupid.

Why do I say that? Because it doesn't matter who wins. Nothing is going to change whatsoever. Elections are in place to indulge the illusion of choice.

Still, I'd really wish for more people to vote for parties other than the Republican and the Democrats though.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #64
ArtificialOne

I'd like to see a pro technology party. The reps are to proffit oriented and the dems are filled with crazy eco zealots.

P.T. Barnum

Vist me: