Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
Smile

Animal Cruelty or Just Fun?

Go on yahoo dot com and click on "more featured". It's on the bottom right hand corner of the box under "featured".

Click on "at the Zoo" (it's at the bottom of the page), click on "Multiple Photos" and go to pic #169.

I think what they're doing to those bears is wrong...

BTW, sorry for not posting a URL link, it doesn't show up for some reason.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.

Last edited by Smile; 08-12-2007 at 07:14 AM. Reason: the url won't show up
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 AM   #2
Tha Duckman

To be honest, I can't be arsed to look trough 168 fucking images just to get to it.
Tha Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
TopHaggardDoll

Mmmmm....no.....it isn't good.

Unfortunately....things like this happen and it's not just about stopping animal cruelty...it's about changing a culture.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #4
Tha Duckman

Ah, so it's one of THOSE pictures.

You know what's worse than the fact that bad shit happens as a result of culture? The fact that other people INSIST on changing other peoples cultures! FUCK, leave 'em the Hell alone, man! I wouldn't go out and kick a rabbit, but if it's a cultural thing and you're in yr own country, fuck, work the Hell away. I don't like people dicking with how I live MY God damn life, so balls to that.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:05 AM   #5
TopHaggardDoll

I wasn't insisting on changing a culture. I was trying to state that changing a whole culture is impossible and fucking stupid.

When you're in their country, if you don't like some shit that they do....don't pay to go and watch them do it. That's all you can do really.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Tha Duckman

Exactly. "Duh, you know what will REALLY piss these people off and make them stop doing dumb shit, duh!?!? If we GIVE them MONEY, and then go and tell people they're NOT VERY NICE, DUH!!!"

Fuck, people are retards...
Old 08-12-2007, 08:13 AM   #7
Tha Duckman

On that note, I wonder if you can get retarded animals. Like a gecko with Downs or something...
Old 08-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Splintered

Here's the photo:
http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/rids...h07yl5mmqnkQ--
Old 08-12-2007, 12:50 PM   #9
Godslayer Jillian

There's no difference between a stupid activity protected by 'culture' than a stupid belief protected by 'religion'.
This is wrong and retrograde.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Duckman
Ah, so it's one of THOSE pictures.

You know what's worse than the fact that bad shit happens as a result of culture? The fact that other people INSIST on changing other peoples cultures! FUCK, leave 'em the Hell alone, man! I wouldn't go out and kick a rabbit, but if it's a cultural thing and you're in yr own country, fuck, work the Hell away. I don't like people dicking with how I live MY God damn life, so balls to that.
What if the particular cultural custom under focus is barbaric? Would you argue that the authorities shouldn't intervene in honour killings and the like? After all it's a cultural custom. What if it happens in the USA or England? Should we allow it to go on because to stop it is to interfere in someone else's culture?

I don't like people dicking in on my life either, but if I was hurting a person/animal then as a human being I couldn't blame them for it.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
What if the particular cultural custom under focus is barbaric? Would you argue that the authorities shouldn't intervene in honour killings and the like? After all it's a cultural custom. What if it happens in the USA or England? Should we allow it to go on because to stop it is to interfere in someone else's culture?

I don't like people dicking in on my life either, but if I was hurting a person/animal then as a human being I couldn't blame them for it.
There are things that are wrong to us, I don't agree with what those people are doing but the USA and Britain can't police the whole God damn world.

If you're breaking the law in your country and they arrest you, fair enough. If you go into someone elses country and break the laws of the country you're in and they arrest you, fair enough.

In that picture and in that country they are not breaking any laws and you can't have random police officers or soldiers going into that country trying to change their laws and their customs. It doesn't work.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:55 PM   #12
Apathy's_Child

Of course not, but Duckman was basically saying it's never ok to interfere with someone else's culture. I'm not sure I can agree with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
If you're breaking the law in your country and they arrest you, fair enough. If you go into someone elses country and break the laws of the country you're in and they arrest you, fair enough.
So you don't agree with organisations like Amnesty trying to help people imprisoned in other countries for things like slagging off the government? You don't think they should be campaigning to stop people being stoned to death for things like adultery? What you're saying sounds very nice and tolerant but sometimes people WANT help and I think they should be entitled to it as our fellow human beings. It doesn't mean we're blasting into their countries and ordering people around and it doesn't mean I'm in favour of policing the world, that's overly PC bullshit. It just means I don't think "it's their culture" makes it defensible. The left seems to be more concerned with defending inhumane customs under the heading of tolerance than actually helping the people suffering under them nowadays.

Old 08-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #13
Ishkabibble

Even if it is a law or part of a culture, you have your own brain and your own opinions. If you really do think that it's wrong to treat animals like that, well of course you won't go out and let them wrestle.
Heck, if you do think it's correct, then do it. It's your criteria that's in play when such things are going on. People have the quality of choosing between what they think is right or wrong.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:23 PM   #14
TopHaggardDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child
Of course not, but Duckman was basically saying it's never ok to interfere with someone else's culture. I'm not sure I can agree with that.

So you don't agree with organisations like Amnesty trying to help people imprisoned in other countries for things like slagging off the government? You don't think they should be campaigning to stop people being stoned to death for things like adultery? What you're saying sounds very nice and tolerant but sometimes people WANT help and I think they should be entitled to it as our fellow human beings. It doesn't mean we're blasting into their countries and ordering people around and it doesn't mean I'm in favour of policing the world, that's overly PC bullshit. It just means I don't think "it's their culture" makes it defensible. The left seems to be more concerned with defending inhumane customs under the heading of tolerance than actually helping the people suffering under them nowadays.

I'm not defending inhumane customs or people being shot for saying they hate their dictator but in the world over there are so many different ways of living and opinions you can't just change all of them, one size doesn't fit all.

Yes, give them help if they ask....sometimes they don't though. Like when they tried to ban the burqa in The Netherlands to try and free Muslim women, there was a huge uproar from Muslim women who chose to wear them. I know alot of us see that as a "barbaric" custom.

There are just some things you can't change, i'm not stating that you should leave people to rot or whatever. I just think we should take a harder look at some things before going...oh that's barbaric!
On the subject of animal cruelty, we treat animals just as badly in the meat industry here.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Apathy's_Child

Sure. And if someone posted pictures from our intensive farming facilities, I'm sure we'd all be shaking our heads and saying "how disgusting"

Old 08-12-2007, 02:28 PM   #16
Ishkabibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHaggardDoll
On the subject of animal cruelty, we treat animals just as badly in the meat industry here.
Number one reason there are so many vegans/vegetarians in the world.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #17
Clockwork

AH NO, THEYS BEARS IS WARING CAPES!!!

Ehem. Hey, it's not cool, but as we aren't exactly saints ourselves, I'm not going to be casting any stones.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:17 PM   #18
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
i fail to see what is so wrong with bears being dressed up and put up for show......the circus is a popular thing in the west too...

.....ehm, or did i just not get something?
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
Metztli

It's not the thing with animals dressing up to entertain. It's more or less the fact that people make animals fight for their own entertainment. Just like pitbull fighting. People use that as a reason to gain money, or to have fun.

I work in an animal shelter, and there are about a dozen or so pitbulls there, because they've been rescued from those inhumane people that can't resist harming animals for entertainment.

And it's actually true that no body asks for help, partly because they are afraid that they would be imprisoned by their authorities. No one can help that, but that country, right?

The only way for people that can actually help free those poor people overseas is to either join the military and fight for their rights like we are doing in Iraq [although in my opinion, we should back out accordingly so they can get used to their freedom]. Or join the Peace Corps.
Metztli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #20
Don't Look Behind You

join the military? Hasen't history shown that war (which INCLUEDES KILLING PEOPLE and destroying the environment) never solves anything?
Fighting for someone else's rights? Make sure they WANT you to fight for their rights, first, okay? Or do you want them to then have a civil war?

Also, as long as the animals don't get seriously hurt, i don't see any need to go barging into another culture with a different set of values and establishing one's own. Values are something develped over centuries and can't be changed just like that. It would need a long development process and will on the part of the people who's values are "to be changed".
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
Pale Empress

On first view of this picture I see 2 bears being forced to fight for entertainment, on second view you see that their mouths are tied closed and they have gloves on which will keep claws away.

If you saw a picture of 2 boxers in a ring you wouldn't think twice about being bothered by it. The only difference being is that the boxers chose that way of life themselves, they go out of their way to hurt others for pleasure/money and so on, whereas these bears haven't.

Are they actually hurting each other? The audience consisting of adults and children are all smiling. As long as they are well looked after, fed etc then if that is how they live then leave them to it. (obviously I don't mean that with everything in life)

Have you ever been to a dodgy zoo, dogs home, slaughter house, animal abusers homes in this country? That's where things need to change - when it is obvious that abuse is happening.
Pale Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:24 AM   #22
Don't Look Behind You

good point.
It is easier to go and try to "fight for the rights" of people/animals in other countries, but is not so pleasant to see and do something agaisnt the abuse going on next door.
If you want to do something good for the world then bring your own word in order before you march into other countries.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #23
thedoll

I honestly didnt see the two bears fighting at all, but maybe its just me.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:20 AM   #24
Pale Empress

The bears aren't 'fighting', not when you look closely.

People are too quick to jump to assumptions.
Pale Empress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #25
LaBelleDameSansMerci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Look Behind You
Or do you want them to then have a civil war?
That was one good thing about Saddam.. he kept the different sects from killing each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Empress
Have you ever been to a dodgy zoo, dogs home, slaughter house, animal abusers homes in this country?
My aunt took in her neighbour's dog because it was being abused. It buried pieces of deer and such in their garden. My uncle kept digging up deer legs in the spring.
Like a tea-tray in the sky.

LaBelleDameSansMerci is offline   Reply With Quote