Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Amunet

Thumbs down Does anyone else hate politics as much as I do?

It's not that I don't want to know what's going on in the world of people making decisions for me... It's that honestly, none of us know what's really going on. We know what we're told via media and politicians, etc.

And everyone seems to think that we still have a say when it comes to voting?! What kind of bullshit is that. I try to explain this to people, but I feel like I'm beating my head against a wall.
I was raised pretty moderately in politics. I mean, I'm from NH originally, which is fucking conservative as hell, and now I live in mass, which is the most fucking liberal state in this asshole of the world.

if I'm going to vote for someone, its not gonna be because of their party, but because they are doing the right thing, and are proving it with their actions. (Which is hardly ever)

This isn't a new song and dance either... We all know that politicians are the top bullshitters of all bullshitters, but I just don't understand how even in our tiny little spot in the world, we let people lie to our faces, and BELIEVED them, even when it was obvious. Are people really that fucking blind?

So I digress.

I don't involve myself in a losing battle with politics because I observe how people are, and we'll never change, we'll never think for ourselves, we'll always hand over responsibility to anyone who will take it out of our hands.

Sorry for ranting, I just have a huge issue with governments, politicians, and world orders, because none of them work. We've all been living in failed systems for so long, that now it's "okay" to turn away and pretend like everything will be taken care of for us.

I'm tired of people making my decisions. Fuck that.
Amunet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet View Post
I'm tired of people making my decisions. Fuck that.
Who the fuck do they think they are, interfering with your economy like that?
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Who the fuck do they think they are, interfering with your economy like that?
our economy wouldn't be in the shitter if people had taken personal responsibility a long time ago. There's no getting around it now, I'm just tired of hearing about how one candidate is better than the other. Mass just had these fucking elections with Scott Brown and Whats her face for Ted Kennedy's seat and I just think that people place way too much value on voting for equally fucked up people. Politicians are not to be trusted. Ever.
They do not keep their promises, they do not care about the betterment of society. It's personal gain, power, money, authority, status... and honestly, I don't give a fuck about their agendas. We should be concerned about our agenda as an entire race of beings, not as a country or an ethnicity, or an individual. But like I said, no one wants to get their hands dirty, no one wants to correct the mistakes that have been made, so we end up in this shithole of a life because everyone is so goddamn apathetic.

I'm just as guilty JCC, it's just that I recognize it now, and I'm trying to fix shit even if it's a losing battle.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
PortraitOfSanity

It's not politicians who are ruining this country . It's "woe-is-me for having to stay informed" idiots like yourself who stand by and whine about not giving a fuck, and then stand by and whine about how the country's going down the shitter and noone did anything about it. This country is full of you people. Look what happens in the U.K when the government cuts benefits, there's fucking riots in the fucking streets and buildings getting burned. Here people just roll over and take it in the ass.

You disgust me. Grow some fucking balls (figuratively, of course) and get with it.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #5
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity View Post
It's not politicians who are ruining this country . It's "woe-is-me for having to stay informed" idiots like yourself who stand by and whine about not giving a fuck, and then stand by and whine about how the country's going down the shitter and noone did anything about it. This country is full of you people. Look what happens in the U.K when the government cuts benefits, there's fucking riots in the fucking streets and buildings getting burned. Here people just roll over and take it in the ass.

You disgust me. Grow some fucking balls (figuratively, of course) and get with it.
I'm sorry if you misinterpreted my rant for "woe-is me" because I'm not pitying myself, or anyone for that matter, I'm merely stating that politics are fucking stupid, and all it is now is a show at who can toot their own horn the loudest...
Politicians don't give a shit about you or I, our government doesn't give a shit, and it just feeds into everyone living like cattle. No one does shit to help anyone else, and in your words... everyone here just takes it in the ass, and although I'm a fuckin champ, I'm not gonna let someone else dictate my behavior because they can't even control theirs. It's like elementary school all over, Politics=School ground Temper Tantrums.

I'm not asking for a pity party, I'm just saying what's on my mind, and when I hear people going on and on about fucking candidates and voting and all that democracy bullcrap I feel nauseous because it doesn't fucking matter what any of us has to say about how shit is run, they do what they want, and everyone IS taking it in the ass versus saying FUCK YOU and doing something different. It's pathetic.
You should be disgusted, but not at me for knowing the problems because I'm sure you know it just as much as me.

In a nutshell.... I don't vote. I don't give a shit about politics, because they have no value anymore, even though everyone likes to pretend that they still have a fucking say.

Welcome to reality.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
JCC

Quote:
our economy wouldn't be in the shitter if people had taken personal responsibility a long time ago.
Any attempts to stifle a global recession born of dirty business deals and greed would require more politics, not less. Precisely why do you think the economy is 'in the shitter', and how do you propose that it is removed from aforementioned shitter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amunet
There's no getting around it now, I'm just tired of hearing about how one candidate is better than the other. Mass just had these fucking elections with Scott Brown and Whats her face for Ted Kennedy's seat and I just think that people place way too much value on voting for equally fucked up people. Politicians are not to be trusted. Ever.
I used to think that politicians were all representatives of a faceless evil that is entirely corrupt too. It's remarkable how many people do, really; we don't know why we've abandoned politics, we just do. It's easy to look at the current political playing field and conclude that all politicians are venal and self-serving, but politics isn't the kind of field that attracts people that are without ideology. If people want that kind of power, business is much more welcoming. Politics is a difficult life; people dedicate years to reaching the most insignificant of posts. The real issue isn't that politicians don't care or that politicians are all the same, the problem is that the electorate doesn't give a shit about politics so real policies get left in the dust as charisma storms past right into positions of power.

Quote:
They do not keep their promises, they do not care about the betterment of society. It's personal gain, power, money, authority, status... and honestly, I don't give a fuck about their agendas. We should be concerned about our agenda as an entire race of beings, not as a country or an ethnicity, or an individual. But like I said, no one wants to get their hands dirty, no one wants to correct the mistakes that have been made, so we end up in this shithole of a life because everyone is so goddamn apathetic.
Politics is the same as anything else, some people will have the collective interest at heart and some will have individual interests at heart. The solution isn't to get pissy and turn your back on the system altogether: what's your alternative?

Quote:
Politicians don't give a shit about you or I, our government doesn't give a shit, and it just feeds into everyone living like cattle. No one does shit to help anyone else, and in your words... everyone here just takes it in the ass, and although I'm a fuckin champ, I'm not gonna let someone else dictate my behavior because they can't even control theirs. It's like elementary school all over, Politics=School ground Temper Tantrums.
Don't say things like that, if Rage Against the Machine read it they'll make another album.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Amunet

touche JCC... I do understand that not everyone is going to share my disdain for politics, and that is fine, and you were right about the following statement:
Quote:
Politics is the same as anything else, some people will have the collective interest at heart and some will have individual interests at heart. The solution isn't to get pissy and turn your back on the system altogether: what's your alternative?
I think a lot of my dislike is fed by the crap we all deal with everyday, for example, the health care shit... People die because insurance companies turn people away who cannot afford health care (like myself although I work 40 hours a week, more explanation later if you'd care for one)

Did you know that A kid who had a heart condition for some reason (uh hem a pre-existing condition) couldn't qualify for health care covered by his insurance provider, and he was told he had to get heart surgery or he would die.... so long story short, Trent Reznor found out and tried to donate every penny required for this child's surgery and the insurance company WOULD NOT ACCEPT the donation because they would not profit from it. Needless to say, this child died... There's even a whole story on it on the kids sister webpage. A Spanish family... Velasquez or something of the sort (his name eric) I have to find it later...

Anywho this is one of a million instances in the health care area alone. I lose faith because we as people just take it instead of doing something about it. I would love to throw some shit in people's faces. I wish there was a way to make our government actually listen to us. It's the middle class that suffers the most. I work hard, I work often and I still am behind in everything.

Tell me that you don't feel that something needs to change.

As for an alternative, I don't know honestly, I am one person, I don't know what to do, but I want to do something... These are just things I think about...

I know there would be chaos without rules, I know that we need some semblance of order, but the way we're doing things is ineffective and corrupt, and no amount of campaigning bullshit spewing from their mouths is going to change anything.

Oh, and LOL

Quote:
Don't say things like that, if Rage Against the Machine read it they'll make another album.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
JCC

Healthcare reform is politics.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #9
Amunet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Healthcare reform is politics.
I know it is... but one of the reasons I don't care for politics would be because they don't change these things that are so important, they talk about it a whole lot, but nothing ever happens....

Health Care Reform is a joke, I would probably shit a brick if something actually happened to better that system alone. ( like blowing up all of the insurance companies and their bank accounts... that would work I think lol)
Old 01-26-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
PortraitOfSanity

It's hard to spin people around when they're so misinformed. Look at Massachusetts. You guys just voted a Republican who's firmly against health care reform into a seat held for 20+ years by the biggest Senatorial advocate for health care reform since WW2... And the state is always pro health care reform in polls. You guys need more Micks to move back.

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #11
JCC

Quote:
It's hard to spin people around when they're so misinformed. Look at Massachusetts. You guys just voted a Republican who's firmly against health care reform into a seat held for 20+ years by the biggest Senatorial advocate for health care reform since WW2... And the state is always pro health care reform in polls. You guys need more Micks to move back.
This. It's why the 'politicians are all the same' mantra of apathy fucks the people over, despite how satisfying it may be to draw that conclusion.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #12
Amunet

Quote:
well my last name is Murphy so I'm one Mick accounted for

and by the way, I did not vote any shithead into the senate... Fuck. That.

Massachusetts is the most fucking corrupt place next to DC that I've personally been at the disadvantage of knowing.

but you see what i was trying to say now right POS?

I get so angry about the "situation" (no guido plug intended) we're all in that i rant about it. I don't mean to come across as a whiny bitch but well I am a female, and our emotions do tend to be overbearing. lol. whatever. I just wish that I could personally take on responsibility and do something to change how we all live. Obviously that's not possible, but one can wish.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:48 PM   #13
PortraitOfSanity

I've lived in Boston for pretty good periods of time, and believe me, it's hardly even on the scale of the most corrupt cities in the U.S. Even Chicago, which is pretty notorious for it, pales in comparison to places like Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas.

-Mr. Filth
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Amunet

Quote:
I've lived in Boston for pretty good periods of time, and believe me, it's hardly even on the scale of the most corrupt cities in the U.S. Even Chicago, which is pretty notorious for it, pales in comparison to places like Mississippi, Arkansas and Texas.
well then I'm thankful I don't live in any of those places. Don't get me wrong, NH has it's shit too, but it seems like there are more people there who are "honorable" if that is even an applicable word at all anymore...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM   #15
Still Jack

I didn't really bother replying to this thread because JCC and PoS had already said what I was thinking of.

Until I came across this little gem:

Quote:
In a nutshell.... I don't vote. I don't give a shit about politics, because they have no value anymore, even though everyone likes to pretend that they still have a fucking say.
How the fuck can you not vote and still maintain a clean conscience? I presume you are aware that in some countries people don't have a vote at all, get killed for voting, or get their hands cut off for voting. IF you are granted such a gratuitous liberty, for absolutely zero effort, I strongly suggest you take that opportunity, however small it may seem to you, to at least have your say.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #16
sibyl vane.

I don't think you really hate politics. You just hate it when things get fucked up. You're not anything special in that respect. Take an interest & do what you can to change things instead of just deciding everything sucks.
sibyl vane. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #17
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
How the fuck can you not vote and still maintain a clean conscience? I presume you are aware that in some countries people don't have a vote at all, get killed for voting, or get their hands cut off for voting. IF you are granted such a gratuitous liberty, for absolutely zero effort, I strongly suggest you take that opportunity, however small it may seem to you, to at least have your say.
How the fuck can people not spend superfluously and still maintain a clean conscience? I presume you are aware that in some countries people barely have possessions at all, get killed for profit, or get their hands cut off for stealing to survive. IF we are granted such a gratuitous liberty, for absolutely zero effort, I strongly suggest you take that opportunity, however superfluous it may seem to you, to hoard useless stuff.

....?

There's many reasons to vote, dude, but saying you should because you can is stupid.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post

There's many reasons to vote, dude, but saying you should because you can is stupid.
Very much agreed.

There are many times when I have abstained from voting because I do not believe in choosing the lesser of two evils- I choose neither.

When I do not vote, though, it is still a vote of no-confidence in our government.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Alan

Here's a question for those who don't question the legitimacy of voting.
In America, is voting for a third party as enraging to you as not voting at all? (Hint: they're equally useless)
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
JethroAranas

choosing whom to vote between two equally useless politician is more of like taking a risk. You choose and if it wins, just see what he can do. people has the power to vote and to evict someone out of position.
JethroAranas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #21
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac View Post
Very much agreed.

There are many times when I have abstained from voting because I do not believe in choosing the lesser of two evils- I choose neither.

When I do not vote, though, it is still a vote of no-confidence in our government.
Ditto, I didn't like our NDP candidate last election, and I don't like the Liberals and I will never ever vote Conservative so I ended up not voting. Apparently doesn't make a difference seeing as how our conservative prime minister who over 60% of the country did NOT vote for keeps shutting down Parliament willy nilly.

That said, its not like voting is the only political action you can ever take. Its not the most you can do, its really the least you can do.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #22
KissMeDeadly

I think that TV campaigning should be illegal, as should public appearance. I think that you should only be able to campaign via radio, text, and the Internet. This would cut down on the "Vote for me; I'm handsome, eat beans and make sweet consensual American loving with my wife" kind of campaign. Of course, there should also be something that keeps candidates from talking about their personal life, which should not matter. They should only be allowed to talk about their politcal views and policies, how they would change things, etc.

There should also be severe backlash if their promises aren't kept. Riots, children being kicked in the chest, you know, general chaos.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 10:56 PM   #23
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Actually, I didn't really think about that for long enough. Yeah, you're right, voting just for the sake of voting gets unwanted candidates in office, something we saw with the BNP in Britain.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 AM   #24
Naked Lunch

Washing the pesticides off fruit with………..more toxic chemicals
Naked Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 AM   #25
Amunet

I'm glad that more people started to post in this topic... and some of you echoed what I believe. Still Jack, to address your first comment, I'm going to tell you a little more about my position,

When I turned 18, it was in an election year, Bush term 2... The ONLY thing I was excited about was voting because I legally could and that was an exciting chapter of adulthood for me...
needless to say, I voted for the person who other people were convincing me was the best candidate and because I was lacking in the knowledge about either candidates enough to make an informed decision, I voted for a person who I wouldn't have voted for again if I had it all to do over.

Bottom line is, I don't believe in voting for someone just because I can, but because I know enough about them as a person to trust them to lead our country in the best way humanly possible.

I do understand that in other countries they have no right to vote, and I have several close friends and family fighting for our freedom as we speak.

Like someone had mentioned, I do not want to vote for the lesser of two evils, I would rather shoot myself in the fucking head, to be frank.

and obviously you thought about it after too and understand that people (especially young people who don't keep themselves informed) should not vote just because they have the right to. If you are voting because you truly believe that the candidate is the best for the job, based on their character and past actions, then by all means use that freedom.

But this isn't necessarily about voting itself. I don't like what politics represent anymore, campaigning means bashing the other person, slandering, lies, deceit... Nothing is honorable anymore.

I don't honestly believe that we even have a say anymore anyways, I really think that we have minimal input when it comes to who holds office or a seat in congress, etc...

I thank you all for your input, I think it's refreshing that you care about this topic enough to discuss it, thus proving this crowd is much more intelligent than most.

I have no confidence in the way things are as of now, I try my best to help with what I can, and I hope you all do the same.