Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #126
gothicusmaximus

"Double Dare" by Bauhaus- a friend of mine had their 'best of'. I later went out and bought it for myself.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #127
DepthsofSpace

Really I started out listening to some indy punk groups, and then numetal groups like Linkin Park. I remember though a brief touch with a group in the form of my father watching VH1. Some guy with aviators, open leather jacket singing and something about 'Empire down'. Yeah, had no idea what that was at the time, but I remeber thinking it was rather interesting. Didn't go anywhere with it... From there I discovered this rather dark and forbooding numetal group with a female front (name not needed, right?). From there it was into Symphonic metal, and some neo-mideveil. I just loved anything with a 'Gothic' (note, not Goth) feel to it. Then I went back to the 'oldies' and ahhhh...

Pure bliss... SoM, SatB, the Cure...

Finally, I am home...
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #128
silverbaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon!
Really? Dang, the song I've had for years that I downloaded had it listed as the Sisters, but that was way before I downloaded more of their stuff. I never made that distinction that his and Andrew's voices were different.

Dunno why I never bothered to look up the soundtrack info.
Lol. I had that problem too for a long time. That and thinking "I Touch Myself" and "Bette Davis Eyes" were both by Blondie (damn people don't even bother to get the correct information for their own downloads).
silverbaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #129
Ashlyea

I had always been generally interested in what the subculture was (listened to bands that weren't exactly goth, like Evanescence) and several sites that I had been looking at spoke about some of the older bands like Bauhaus and Siouxsie.

The first song I believe that really got me interested was "Face to Face" by Siouxsie and the Banshees after a brief search on YouTube.
Ashlyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #130
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-broken-harlequin
OK I thought it was the first song to inspire you to be goth.
In that case It would have to be... You spin me right round by Marilyn Manson.
That's not Manson. That's a band named Dope. They did that song for the re-make of American Psycho.

As for me...something by KMFDM or Depeche Mode. I really don't remember. There really wasn't a defining moment for me.
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:56 PM   #131
Duane

Boys don't cry by The Cure. Without hearing this song, not only would I not have decided to live this lifestyle, but I would've given up on playing guitar.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #132
Xombie

Dark Entries, Bauhaus. My friend was trying to send me that file for two months before it finally went through. It was so worth it.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #133
DepthsofSpace

Now that I think of it:

The Boatman's Call - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

That's the first one I owned and listen too...

Goffs think you have to rip off the wings of a butterfly to show your love.

Goths know that love has already broken the wings of a butterfly on a wheel.
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:27 PM   #134
crimsonjoy

Gee, if I remember correctly, the first truly dark band I saw was Bauhaus performing "Bela Lugosi's Dead" in that movie "The Hunger". It was the most wonderful thing I had ever seen, bringing together my love of music with my love of vampires.
crimsonjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #135
Kanedawg

I started really getting into music at age ten, which was a LONG time ago. :^) My first non-Beatle and non-soundtrack that I recall, on these big black round things that we used to call "records," was an original copy of the first Doors album for like 25 cents from a yard sale. I remember having stomach flu and comforting myself with the song "The End." El oh well! (Will spare further details on that story.) So the argument might be made that The Doors were kind of pre-goth. Later I would get into all other sorts of stuff including more clearly defined "goth." And now the definition has changed it seems to entail more hardcore stuff.
Kanedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #136
Draconysius

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon!
Really? Dang, the song I've had for years that I downloaded had it listed as the Sisters, but that was way before I downloaded more of their stuff. I never made that distinction that his and Andrew's voices were different.

Dunno why I never bothered to look up the soundtrack info.
Yeah, you probably got it off Limewire, where people tend to mistag a lot of things. I downloaded "Andy Warhol" by David Bowie and the filename said Bauhaus. So... Soulseek is always the better option.
Draconysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #137
lostintranslation

I truly can't remember the first song, but I know that my first goth influence CD I ever owned was Black Heart Retrospective, which is a mix CD by The Suicide Girls, whom I adore. I think just about every song on that CD is amazing.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM   #138
(heartofflames)

Not sure....I believe it was Abney Park's Sacarlidge.

Charlotte: You're probably just having a mid-life crisis. Did you buy a Porsche yet?
(heartofflames) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:13 PM   #139
IsolatedReptile

It was Dark Entries for me. I had been on a message board, asked where to start with "Goth" music, and was led to Bauhaus first. I had listened to the song over and over again hundreds of times (literally over the course of weeks) mesmerized by the sound and feeling behind it. Eventually, it led me to discover Sisters Of Mercy, Siouxsie, Joy Division, and others, which in turn have led me to many things non-goth such as Sonic Youth, Magazine, and Pixies.
IsolatedReptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #140
NachtSorcier

There are actually two songs that I consider to be my "gateway" into the Land of Goth: "Boys Don't Cry" by the Cure and one more for "Bela Lugosi's Dead".

I listened to "Bela" for the first time and I swear my mouth must've gaped open. I thought, "Yes, I've finally found some music I can listen to without vomiting."

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote