Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-28-2006, 02:36 PM   #1426
spookypurple

Definitely worth watching!

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:09 AM   #1427
†Enchanted-Nightmares†

Talking

The last movie I watched is "Tim Burton's - The Nightmare Before Christmas." love it, love it, love it <3
†Enchanted-Nightmares† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #1428
Beowulf

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by †Enchanted-Nightmares†
The last movie I watched is "Tim Burton's - The Nightmare Before Christmas." love it, love it, love it <3

†Enchanted-Nightmares†,

That is a brilliant film, Tim Burton is one of my all time favourite directors.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 11:46 AM   #1429
Beowulf

Witchfinder General (1967, Directed by Michael Reeves)

This film has Vincent Price play one of his most sinister roles...
Matthew Hopkins, Witchfinder General.

"England is torn in civil strife as the Royalists battle the Parliamentary Party for control. This conflict distracts people from rational thought and allows unscrupulous men to gain local power by exploiting village superstitions. One of these men is Matthew Hopkins, who tours the land offering his services as a persecutor of witches. Aided by his sadistic accomplice John Stearne, he travels from city to city and wrenches confessions from "witches" in order to line his pockets and gain sexual favors. When Hopkins persecutes a priest, he incurs the wrath of Richard Marshall, who is engaged to the priest's niece. Risking treason by leaving his military duties, Marshall relentlessly pursues the evil Hopkins and his minion Stearne. IMDB"

What makes his character sinister is that the story is based on actual events in England during the seventeenth century, which is the most chilling aspect to this film.

"...Surely one of the most revolting horror pictures to be released by a major studio in the sixties." - Stephen King, Danse Macabre

For more info (click here)

There is also an interesting review of the film by a historian, which makes interesting reading as it is based on real events. (click here)

Old 03-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #1430
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Witchfinder General (1967, Directed by Michael Reeves)

This film has Vincent Price play one of his most sinister roles...
Matthew Hopkins, Witchfinder General.

"England is torn in civil strife as the Royalists battle the Parliamentary Party for control. This conflict distracts people from rational thought and allows unscrupulous men to gain local power by exploiting village superstitions. One of these men is Matthew Hopkins, who tours the land offering his services as a persecutor of witches. Aided by his sadistic accomplice John Stearne, he travels from city to city and wrenches confessions from "witches" in order to line his pockets and gain sexual favors. When Hopkins persecutes a priest, he incurs the wrath of Richard Marshall, who is engaged to the priest's niece. Risking treason by leaving his military duties, Marshall relentlessly pursues the evil Hopkins and his minion Stearne. IMDB"

What makes his character sinister is that the story is based on actual events in England during the seventeenth century, which is the most chilling aspect to this film.

"...Surely one of the most revolting horror pictures to be released by a major studio in the sixties." - Stephen King, Danse Macabre

For more info (click here)

There is also an interesting review of the film by a historian, which makes interesting reading as it is based on real events. (click here)
BEOWULF: Sounds like a cool flick. I've seen Vincent Price flicks before, but not this one. This is the 1st time I've heard of it. I believe there was an old Black Metal band or Sludge Metal band--can't remember which--from the late 1980s by that name.
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 01:28 PM   #1431
Beowulf

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
BEOWULF: Sounds like a cool flick. I've seen Vincent Price flicks before, but not this one. This is the 1st time I've heard of it. I believe there was an old Black Metal band or Sludge Metal band--can't remember which--from the late 1980s by that name.
Hi Pathogen,

Witchfinder General is an excellent horror film, because its one of the few that does horrify, watch this film and you see why. As for the band with the same monicker, they are a NWOBHM (New Wave of British Heavy Metal) band.

"Witchfinder General was one of the few NWOBHM bands to go straight for the early-Sabbath sound, a style that would become popular many years later. Both albums are amongst the best NWOBHM albums ever, particularly Death Penalty where the Sabbath style is most evident. The band gained notoriety not only for the great albums but the excellent album covers, both featuring topless women under the guise of tortured would-be witches. The lineup for Death Penalty shown below is different than what was credited on the album (which credits Ditchfield and one Woolfy Trope in their place), apparently the original pressing showed the correct lineup but the subsequent re-releases show the changes. Original bassist Zak Bajjon went on to manage none other than Cradle Of Filth, and has a new band (see link below). " BNR Metal Pages

Back to the film, I think it a classic British horror film (this film is often mistaken for a Hammer film) and is well worth checking out...if you dare.

Old 03-29-2006, 03:32 PM   #1432
Magpie_Tendencies

I don't know if this is how everyone else does it, but if you open a Word document and go to Insert then Symbols, you can find it there.
Old 03-29-2006, 04:30 PM   #1433
Pathogen.

Murder, My Sweet [1944]. Directed by Edward Dmytryk. Based on the book "Farewell, My Lovely" by Raymond Chandler. [Dick Powell, veteran actor/singer of the Busby Berkeley musicals of the 1930s, stars as tough-guy private eye Phillip Marlowe]. According to film historians, this is said to be 1 of many flicks that set the standard for other Film-Noir flicks that came after it.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #1434
Pathogen.

Two.

*Testify! [poorly-filmed/soundmixed documentary about direct action-oriented environmental protection activism: A.L.F., E.L.F., Earth First! and Sea Shepherd Conservation Society. A friend of mine in Fresno did the voice-over narration for it].

*Shadowbox [Cruxshadows videos, D.I.Y. "tour impressions" documentary, making-of-video documentary, tour slideshow, band interview & live concert in Germany].

These 2 DVDs are reflective of me as a person. My Anti-authoritarian side & my Gothic side.
Old 03-31-2006, 12:11 PM   #1435
tenet_2012

I watched "Good Night and Good Luck" last night.

I am completely obsessed with that time period in American history. So, I loved the movie.

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 06:10 PM   #1436
NyQuil of Doom

I watched Good Night, and Good Luck the other day. Got to agree with tenet, it was really good.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #1437
Sobeh

I just finished Stay. Possible spoilers below?

...which turned out to be an artsy interpretation of the life flashing before the eyes at point of death, and last-minute forgiveness-of-Self. It had an interesting message, but the delivery was a bit too full of itself. I give it a B, and that only because I am currently interested in this kind of thing. B- from a neutral standpoint, perhaps. B+/A- if it had been a bit more clear.
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 05:15 AM   #1438
Ben Lahnger

Just watched "Lost In Translation" (2003) last night for the first time.

-----------------------
From the IMDB listing :

Americans abroad, almost innocents. Charlotte, fresh out of Yale with a degree in philosophy, is in Tokyo with her husband, a photographer whose work takes him away that week. She's adrift, her soul on ice. Bob, mid-50s, a semi-retired movie star, is there to make $2 million doing a whiskey ad. At home are a wife and young children, but he's jaded and melancholy. Both are jet-lagged, and Tokyo's culture and language push them further off kilter. When they meet in the hotel bar and spend their free time together for a few days, possibilities arise amidst the losses. Their friendship becomes an experience: does he have something to teach; can she reconnect him to life?
-----------------------

What a well made, quiet, thoughtful little film. A beautiful movie about two people who feel lost because they cannot understand the language and culture they are immersed in and have no one to reach out to, until they find each other. More than a friendship, but not quite a romance, this film portrays a very real relationship that is believeable from start to finish. Strangely, I like the fact that the characters did not have sex, even though the possibility presented itself.

I also like the ending. I had many friends who kept asking, "What did he say to her at the end?" The actors and Sophia Coppela (writer/director) have all said it was left ambiguous on purpose. You know that is true, as his mouth is hidden behind her hair to foil lip readers. But I think I understood part of it ...

A great film that asks great questions, and gives a real sense of what it feels like to be truly lost in a foreign culture. I highly recommend it.

Everyone wants to be found.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #1439

Yep it's a great film. Especially if you live or have lived in Japan. "It's Suntory time!"

Last film I watched was a documentary on hacking. It goes through the history of hacking from it's roots to the present day. It started off as "phone freaking" - a way of getting free access to the phone network using tones created using a whistle from a Captain Crunch breakfast cereal box, or a "blue box". Then when the first computer kits came out in the seventies, a group called the "home brew" club got together and started "hacking" them and from this, the first PC's were born and made for commercial sale. The Apple guys were part of this group and apparently a large percentage of all the people who were in the group are now multi-millionaires. It goes on a bit about hacking in the internet era from there. Quite interesting if you can get your hands on it. They are all so nerdy, it's hilarious!
655322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:25 PM   #1440
Queenofdarkness57

I finally watched The Crow. Speechless.
Old 04-02-2006, 12:58 PM   #1441
angel011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
I finally watched Memoirs of a Geisha!! I loved it. I even teared up a little at the end. I won't say why, so I don't spoil it, but I love movies that get me weepy. Even if it's probably just my hormones.
Have you read the book? An interesting read.

The last movie I watched was Mirrormask. Adorable. Dave McKean's illustrations in a movie were quite a sight.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:36 PM   #1442
Pathogen.

Two.

*Batman [1 episode of the 1990s cartoon programme & an interview with its voice-charcterisation actors, including Adrienne Barbeau & Mark "Luke Skywalker" Hamill].
*Kill motherfucking Bill!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #1443
Pathogen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
Just watched "Lost In Translation" (2003) last night for the first time.

-----------------------
From the IMDB listing :

Americans abroad, almost innocents. Charlotte, fresh out of Yale with a degree in philosophy, is in Tokyo with her husband, a photographer whose work takes him away that week. She's adrift, her soul on ice. Bob, mid-50s, a semi-retired movie star, is there to make $2 million doing a whiskey ad. At home are a wife and young children, but he's jaded and melancholy. Both are jet-lagged, and Tokyo's culture and language push them further off kilter. When they meet in the hotel bar and spend their free time together for a few days, possibilities arise amidst the losses. Their friendship becomes an experience: does he have something to teach; can she reconnect him to life?
-----------------------

What a well made, quiet, thoughtful little film. A beautiful movie about two people who feel lost because they cannot understand the language and culture they are immersed in and have no one to reach out to, until they find each other. More than a friendship, but not quite a romance, this film portrays a very real relationship that is believeable from start to finish. Strangely, I like the fact that the characters did not have sex, even though the possibility presented itself.

I also like the ending. I had many friends who kept asking, "What did he say to her at the end?" The actors and Sophia Coppela (writer/director) have all said it was left ambiguous on purpose. You know that is true, as his mouth is hidden behind her hair to foil lip readers. But I think I understood part of it ...

A great film that asks great questions, and gives a real sense of what it feels like to be truly lost in a foreign culture. I highly recommend it.

Everyone wants to be found.
BEN: Film bored me to fucking tears. Good story on paper, though, but again, I'm not into romance flicks too much. Like I said about "The Man Who Wasn't There": At least Scarlett Johanssen's in it. Regarding Sophia Coppola: I liked "The Virgin Suicides" better.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #1444
Lost_Eclipse

Fight Club...
Lost_Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #1445
angel011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
...another example of the book being better than the movie.
The movie was good, too.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:49 AM   #1446
end.of.eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by roserougesang
Last movie I saw was Tim Burton's Corpse Bride which I bought on DVD. It's nowhere near as good as Nightmare Before Christmas but it is still fun to watch. I like how it is set in the Victorian era, I love period films and, of course, Johnny Depp films like Sleepy Hollow and From Hell.

Johnny Depp <3 I didn't like Sleepy Hollow that much, but he's acting is good. I haven't watched From Hell yet...

My last movie was Burton's Batman for a change. Nicholson's doing fine job, again
Old 04-03-2006, 08:55 AM   #1447
Pathogen.

Two.

*Batman [4 cartoon episodes. Batman takes on: A werewolf; a ninja; The Man-Bat; and 4 of his greatest archenemies--Poison Ivy, Two-Face, Penguin & Joker--with the help of Catwoman.].

*Event Horizon [1997] [a haunted ship tale in outer space--need I say more?].
Old 04-03-2006, 09:21 AM   #1448
WolfMoon

V for Vendetta ~ Unlike what a lot of people think, this movie is not an outcry against the American govt. The story was penned way before any of the Bushes came into power. As much of a fan as I am of the comic, well the few that I have of it, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Whoever played 'V' did an excellent job! Best emoting I've seen in a long, long time on-screen. If the film wins any type of award, surely it will be for that man's acting!

The Gift ~ What would you do if you came home and found your wife dead? How can you not like a film with someone as likable as Perry Ferrel(Jane's Addiction) in it? It was romantic, funny and tragic. I loved it! Plus you get to see Dave Navarro before he was hot, lol.

Last edited by WolfMoon; 04-03-2006 at 09:28 AM.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:37 AM   #1449
Sobeh

V for Vendetta was fucking awesome - I saw it as basically what a more well-adjusted personality would do when pressed to deliver the same kind of message as the antagonist has in Saw and Saw II. Yay for existential themes!
The phrase "we (I) (you) simply must---" designates something that need not be done. "That goes without saying" is a red warning. "Of course" means you had best check it yourself. These small-change cliches and others like them, when read correctly, are reliable channel markers.
Sobeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 09:44 AM   #1450
angel011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfMoon
V for Vendetta ~ Unlike what a lot of people think, this movie is not an outcry against the American govt. The story was penned way before any of the Bushes came into power. As much of a fan as I am of the comic, well the few that I have of it, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie.

I didn't expect to enjoy it nearly as much as I did. Whoever played 'V' did an excellent job! Best emoting I've seen in a long, long time on-screen. If the film wins any type of award, surely it will be for that man's acting!
'V' was played by Hugo Weaving (Agent Smith in The Matrix, Elrond in LOTR...).