Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
DarkestSunrise

Looking for gothy Long Skirts

I love the mini-skirt+tights+boots combo but lately I've been wearing my one long black skirt to death and I want a couple more. It's nice being comfy and warm! I got the skirt at Target, it was one of those random things where they had something gothy-looking and it's long, black and A-line.
Now I really want more long A-line skirts. They don't have to be black but darker colors or jewel tones, I probably don't need to explain my color preferences in detail on here, right?
I like stretchy waists but any kind of waistline is ok with me. I've been looking online and so far I keep seeing either the Tripp kind of skirts or something frumpy like blue denim with buttons down the front. I don't mind the hippy-style tiered cotton kind of skirts too much as long as they aren't overly new age looking..does that make sense?
If anyone can recommend a site or a brand or anything at all pretty-please do. I hope I don't sound too nit-picky, I just wanted to get my idea across. I'd be happy with casual cotton or jersey skirts, or frilly/old-fashioned, gothy or futuristic/deconstructed... my last stipulation is the price. I'd rather get two skirts with a hundred dollars than one (or none because it costs twice that) but if it's something hand-made or really different it's worth it.
DarkestSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

Imma tell you a secret. I was obsessed with long skirts as a young'un. In third grade there was this fashion where all the girls wore long straight skirts in different colors and that's where it started. Then I saw (legasp) Practical Magic and I wore those big long hippie skirts, and then I progressed to sad, sad tripp skirts for a short dark period. Ew. At least it was never the pants.
You need to learn to sew.

If you wanted to make somethint with an elastic waist it would be so damn easy. Measure your waist or wherever you want the skirt to hit. Double that. Then go to the fabric store and get something you like. Hem the bottom of the skirt, and fold the top part over and sew it, so there's a hole you can slip the elastic into. Then use a safety pin to get the elastic through and sew up the skirt side. You are done.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
DarkestSunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Imma tell you a secret. I was obsessed with long skirts as a young'un. In third grade there was this fashion where all the girls wore long straight skirts in different colors and that's where it started. Then I saw (legasp) Practical Magic and I wore those big long hippie skirts, and then I progressed to sad, sad tripp skirts for a short dark period. Ew. At least it was never the pants.
You need to learn to sew.

If you wanted to make somethint with an elastic waist it would be so damn easy. Measure your waist or wherever you want the skirt to hit. Double that. Then go to the fabric store and get something you like. Hem the bottom of the skirt, and fold the top part over and sew it, so there's a hole you can slip the elastic into. Then use a safety pin to get the elastic through and sew up the skirt side. You are done.
Thanks Pineapple!
You're right. I found some instructions online for making circle skirts and the like that i want to try. I'm currently working on the most basic sewing skills. I hope that soon I'll be doing less hunting for clothing and more whipping up my own! Even though making a skirt sounds easy I'm still not sure I'm there yet. I have a couple small projects I want to do first, like I just did a pair of legwarmers from shirt sleeves, next I'm making a pillow, stuff so I can get my seams straight and get a feel for the machine. After the pillow I'm going to try a skirt.
I'm also going to check the thrift stores around here for stuff I could alter.

While I think that making my own skirts is the number one idea, until I've got that mastered I'm still open to suggestions for shops and whatnot.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
vindicatedxjin

Thrift stores.
vindicatedxjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicatedxjin View Post
Thrift stores.
I agree, thrift stores are great for skirts.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 AM   #6
Murder.Of.Crows

I agree, making your own is probably the best way. But for people like me who procrastinates everything, seriously everything. This site worked, http://www.dracinabox.com
I don't care to much for the name, reminds me of Hot Topic too much. But, instead of contending to preppy punk styles, it actually has good clothing.
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
Rylee

Nirvana stores have quite a few long skirts some are not to bad.
Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Pineapple_Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murder.Of.Crows View Post
I agree, making your own is probably the best way. But for people like me who procrastinates everything, seriously everything. This site worked, http://www.dracinabox.com
I don't care to much for the name, reminds me of Hot Topic too much. But, instead of contending to preppy punk styles, it actually has good clothing.
do they even ship to the US?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
DarkestSunrise

Thanks everyone! I will be checking thrift stores and the sites suggested. I also feel more motivated to work on my sewing. The whole reason I started was because I the ideas I have in my head of the clothing I want isn't stuff I can find easily or even afford if it exists.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
do they even ship to the US?
Shit, i didn't think about that. i hope they do...lol
Murder.Of.Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:36 PM   #11
DarkestSunrise

Here are a couple sites I found with long skirts. I'm posting this for any other people who click on this thread that are also looking.

http://www.thaicraftwarehouse.com/tcwList.php?cattreeid=206 They offer a ton of really inexpensive skirts but sizes run small. It's all cotton/thai/boho type skirts, so it's not goth but you could make some of them work. It looks like it's wholesale but you can order just one of something. The black and grey assymetrical hem skirt is cute.

http://www.chicstar.com/storefront/l...x?skirts&id=18
This place has some long fishtail style skirts that are under $50. Some have corset-lacing and the shop has a goth meets pin-up vibe. Cute dresses too.

http://www.the-gothic-shop.co.uk/ladies-gothic-clothing-gothic-skirts-c-52_63.html

This place is literally called the gothic shop and they have some pretty skirts for around and under $100, some are even under $50. Not plus-size friendly though- I didn't see any skirts over 35-36 inch waists.

I've found some on Ebay by searching for long goth skirt, goth skirt (size), steampunk skirt, victorian skirt, black lace skirt, etc.
I'm planning to visit a few thrift stores and I'm doing some sewing this week. I have a book called "Sew What Skirts!" 16 simple styles...it's all about making skirts that fit you without patterns. It covers some sewing basics and what tools you'll need and then has easy instructions for an A-line skirt- fitted waist, A-line with elastic or drawstring waist and a fitted skirt. You just plug in your measurements. It explains how to make elastic and drawstring waists and darts and inserting zippers for fitted skirts. The projects are all variations on these skirts and they are well-explained, easy to follow and are all easy to customize. I think it provides a great jumping-off point for creating your own skirt designs.

Thanks again for the suggestions!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:33 AM   #12
Lady Sorrow

i agree, thrift stores are great, but i never even thought of makeing one, thanks for the info [i to am a fan of long skirts]
Lady Sorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #13
Pineapple_Juice

I forgot about Chicstar. I love that place.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 AM   #14
Noirette

Second-hand shops.
The greastest thing about skirts is that they don't have to be your size.
They could be much. much bigger, and you could use a nice ribbon to make it fit and play with it, even wear it waist-height. Or fix it so it would fit you, it's so much easier than with pants.
You could buy an old big skirt, the kind old women tend to wear, and add a bunch of nice things to it. Anythng from ribbons and laces to buttons and patches. This way it will make it more personal, more "yours". And besode, I personally find it fun to wear something I fixed.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #15
Dark Angel With Ashes

If you're looking for long, gothic skirts, then I suggest you try looking in Indian clothing shops, you can find some beautiful gothic skirts in Indian shops. Or try looking in an emporium, they have heaps of that kind of stuff.
Dark Angel With Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
Noirette

Angel, since you're new, you might want to post an introduction post on the introduction forum :
https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=1644

follow the questions, answer them on a new thread. Good luck, and think carefully before you answer. It's the first impression that matters the most, you know.
Noirette is offline   Reply With Quote