Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 09-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #26
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
How can you be responsible for your lives if your lives are controlled by an omnipotent puppeteer? Do you realise how silly your beliefs sound?

She most likely meant 'overlooks' the universe.
That there's something bigger than us that watches us and created everything.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:36 PM   #27
Godslayer Jillian

Dude, I'm going to like arguing against you because it's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleStrangeling
You, JCC, are so arrogant to think that humans could possibly be the cause of climate change!
The number of hurricanes have increased exponentially since the Industrial REvolution, you know?
Quote:
Twenty years ago they're screaming "Global cooling!" then they're all "Global warming!!! The poor polar bears!" now some people are starting to think global cooling again! It's because the climate is always changing! We've had ice ages and ages of extreme heat way before we had factories and cars, way before humans even had a developed enough brain to think about these things! Honestly, you need to stop putting words into people's mouths.
Well, seeing as he never mentioned global warming and you dissed him for it, it's pretty apparent that you're the one putting word's in someone's mouth.
Quote:
Also, maybe she's not from Europe, and maybe she doesn't know all the words we spell differently than you.
So it's ok for her to feel all superior and (by internet etiquette) yell at him saying he misspelled something, but it's not ok for him to tell her that he didn't misspell anything?
Nice.
Quote:
Also, she's only fifteen, if you look at her profile, how old are you? Trying to seem like you're smarter than her just makes you look even more like an idiot because she's barely into high school, and you are..?
He's fucking fourteen...
OWNED!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
dabbadmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian

The number of hurricanes have increased exponentially since the Industrial REvolution, you know?

Well, seeing as he never mentioned global warming and you dissed him for it, it's pretty apparent that you're the one putting word's in someone's mouth.
So it's ok for her to feel all superior and (by internet etiquette) yell at him saying he misspelled something, but it's not ok for him to tell her that he didn't misspell anything?
Nice.

He's fucking fourteen...
OWNED!
Pwhaha, you stole my gag.
dabbadmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 12:56 PM   #29
LittleStrangeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian

Nice.

He's fucking fourteen...
OWNED!
My bad, he seems old for his age. Kudos to him then.
He's European... his school system works better than ours.

He said climate change, and blamed it on humans.
I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm elaborating on the point of climate change, saying that it couldn't possibly be human made. I, personally, blame the sun.

She thought he spelled it wrong... and maybe I'm just jumping the gun because she's my friend...

I'm really sorry, man.
Today just isn't my day.
LittleStrangeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #30
Disaffected Shoelaces

Quote:
Does it mean anything to you that over 90% of the world's scientists agree with him, or are you one of those ""science doesn't prove anything" people who kick off at the thought that we evolved from apes because we're far too special, then denounce the "arrogance" of people who believe that pollution just might have an effect on the planet?
Disaffected Shoelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:35 PM   #31
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
My bad, he seems old for his age. Kudos to him then.

I'm not putting words in his mouth, I'm elaborating on the point of climate change, saying that it couldn't possibly be human made. I, personally, blame the sun.

She thought he spelled it wrong... and maybe I'm just jumping the gun because she's my friend...

I'm really sorry, man.
Today just isn't my day.
No, it certainly isn't.
He said that we affected climate change, which we do. He did not say, however, that every single little increase in every graph was down to humans.
And you, personally, blame the sun?
Uh... and we should care why?

Oh, the stench of hypocrisy.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #32
Godslayer Jillian

Well, you dude at least knows how to apologize, and that's a rare trait.
But despite our disparity in opinion in this debate (to which I give more credit than creationism), JCC's point was about free will, not global warming.
If I decide to bomb a forest area, I am already interfering with the universe. The simlpe act of littering interferes with the universe. So either the universe has no master plan as it can be easily affected by a free being like me, or what I did was exactly what needed to happen in the plan of the universe, therefore making me a piano key, acting in the way the universe needed me to act; then free will becomes an illusion.
Besides, even without global warming (with which I agree is real), we do change the weather with the simple and undeniable fact of soil erosion caused by exploitation for generic crops.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:37 PM   #33
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
No, it certainly isn't.
He said that we affected climate change, which we do. He did not say, however, that every single little increase in every graph was down to humans.
And you, personally, blame the sun?
Uh... and we should care why?

Oh, the stench of hypocrisy.
This. I actually thought about saying 'obviously humans aren't the only cause of climate change' but I figured that was a given. I apparently have too much faith in humanity.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM   #34
Sir Canvas Corpsey

JCC is like 14 if I remember correctly, though I could be wrong, but if he is, it makes him younger than her and even more "just barely into highschool"

As for your little speech on the non-existance of global warming, may I just say; you're a fucking idiot.

EDIT: Whoopsie-dongles! I didn't see that little 2 in the corner of the page, I guess this wasn't needed XD
Old 09-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #35
DeathToLems

What was this thread about again?
I'm so caught up in the global warming rant I almost forgot!

...Anyway How did they know they were satanist? Maybe it was by coincidence it came to 666 and even so how did they know it was 666 times if parts of the body were missing?
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:56 PM   #36
Necrophagist

Counted them is the most likely answer.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #37
JCC

Some parts of the body were allegedly ingested though.

This seems like an exaggerated story anyway.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #38
Minyaliel

..."Satanist" stories usually are.

The press blames such things on us because of the social stigma and because it will earn them big bucks to have a scandal on their front page.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:31 PM   #39
Despanan

Am I mistaken, or was this story not reported in a friggin tabloid? It's not like they're bastions of journalistic integrity.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:08 PM   #40
Solumina

I have no idea how reliable of a source that is *shrug* could be a tabloid, if not then if the stabs were deep enough then there would be nicks on the bones so they could have gotten a number based on the bones, which I doubt would have been consumed as the human body doesn't really digest bones well.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 AM   #41
crucifix

My mother thinks I am a satanist. Does this mean she thinks I am going to eat myself now? I am too skinny to roast......
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:18 AM   #42
Tam Li Hua

On OP: I'm having a hard time believing this story, partly because how could one count stab wounds of flesh that's been injested, and partly because '666' seems to be too convenient of a number, and 'Satanists' too easily blamed. :/

On Satanism: I'm a Christian, and I've met some pretty cool folks who were LaVeyan Satanists. Sure, I don't always agree with their philosophy, but where there's a mutual understanding of respect, then there's been some really good dialogue.

On Humans Changing the Climate: While I agree that the weather and all would change regardless of humanity, one has to admit that humanity's presence on the planet has had some effect on the planet's natural climate; I think it's foolish to say that humanity has had zero effect on such things, especially in recent centuries.

JCC: Just because someone doesn't believe exactly the same thing as you doesn't make their belief insignificant or 'stupid'. Try to be a little more understanding of other people's beliefs.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:34 AM   #43
$haDe

Ask lord Satan first, if he'll like to see anti-christ like gothic kids tored apart or he not

Stupid Satanist
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 AM   #44
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

JCC: Just because someone doesn't believe exactly the same thing as you doesn't make their belief insignificant or 'stupid'. Try to be a little more understanding of other people's beliefs.
This isn't about understanding. People seem to think that they're opinion is completely invulnerable and that you're not allowed to criticise it, that's ridiculous. I think of it as some form of duty to try and appeal to people with what I believe to be the truth. If a little kid stabbed his friend and justified it by saying it seemed like the thing to do, would you say his opinion is untouchable then? Knowledge is knowledge and I think that it should be passed on as best it can be.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 AM   #45
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
This isn't about understanding. People seem to think that they're opinion is completely invulnerable and that you're not allowed to criticise it, that's ridiculous. I think of it as some form of duty to try and appeal to people with what I believe to be the truth. If a little kid stabbed his friend and justified it by saying it seemed like the thing to do, would you say his opinion is untouchable then? Knowledge is knowledge and I think that it should be passed on as best it can be.
Knowledge and opinion are two different things, though, and as far as religious beliefs go, it's generally considered good form to respect someone's opinion on the matter [unless, of course, their opinion leads to serious harm for themselves or others.]

For instance, I can know what dirt is made of, or I can know that Paris is in France, but it's my opinion as to how the universe began. [Note: Respecting someone's opinion isn't the same as agreeing with them.]
Old 09-15-2008, 09:00 AM   #46
JCC

So basically, nobody is allowed to say anything to anyone on the basis that opinions are to be respected?

I'll remember that next time you tell someone off for saying something you don't agree with like racism or homophobia. Complete acceptance of absolutely everything.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #47
LiUsAiDh

Quote:

I'm really sorry, man.
Today just isn't my day.
A little bit late on the uptake here; but Europe isn't a fucking country. I don't understand why some Americans refer to us as 'Europe'. I don't say I'm going on holiday to Oceania, I say New Zealand; Capice?

Pie Jesu domine..... Donna eis requiem - *thwack*

'To become truly immortal, a work of art must escape all human limits: logic and common sense will only interfere. But once these barriers are broken, it will enter the realms of childhood visions and dreams.' - Giorgio de Chirico
LiUsAiDh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #48
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
So basically, nobody is allowed to say anything to anyone on the basis that opinions are to be respected?

I'll remember that next time you tell someone off for saying something you don't agree with like racism or homophobia. Complete acceptance of absolutely everything.
Respect =/= never stating your opinion. Respect means that you accept that a person believes what they believe, whether you agree with it or not. You can still disagree with someone, and even ask them questions about their belief, without going off on them.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #49
Wynneth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Do you feel that it's everyone's job/duty/responsibility to break down anyone's opinion that isn't the same as their own?
Wynneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:28 AM   #50
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynneth
Do you feel that it's everyone's job to break down anyone's opinion that isn't the same as their own?
I think it's everyone's job to confront opinions that they think are stupid, yeah, how else will people learn? Either the confronter or the confronted will change their tune.