Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 05-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
Catch

Exclamation Mailbox Pay it to Play it Tax Game!

It is May. The additional checks are supposed to be sent out in May or June. I filled out my tax returns early. Heavily anticipating the check, some have different thoughts on the whole thing.

My Grandmother heard on the news that the money for the checks was borrowed from China. She wants everyone to send theirs back. At least, she did for awhile. It is clear that everyone is excited and already spent the money in their minds. Her $300 or $600 check won’t make a dent.

Personally, I guess it is bad to borrow money from China to stimulate or economy. On the other hand, it is supposed to stimulate the economy and that sounds good.

There is speculation on whether or not it will actually work. I think that even if people pay off bills, economy stimulated enough. It beats companies going bankrupt and laying off employees.

Maybe I should hide my enthusiasm. It is like playing a game show everyday when checking the mail box. Is it here? No, ah, try again tomorrow at the Mailbox Pay it to Play it Tax Game! Woot!
Old 05-03-2008, 02:54 AM   #2
CptSternn

I think Leno put it best.

'$600? The government is giving people $600 after their homes have devalued 10-20%? Isn't that like saying, sorry to hear you lost tens of thousands of dollars, here's enough money to buy you family a nice dinner to make it up to you.'
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
ThreeEyesOni

The $600 checks are something to kind of take the edge off of people at worst, or at best to distract them from the troubles. It's a valid tactic, but certainly not as good as producing a good economy. Then again a happy economy is created by happy people spending money so...

Yes, economics are rather confusing. The country is allready in debt to the tube of, what, several trillion dollars? I expect that any day our debt will be listed as "the square-root of -1" and we can all be washed away as the universe implodes.
ThreeEyesOni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #4
Catch

I haven't gotten my check yet. Actually, it does make up for getting charged more in Capital Gains Tax, than in any other year previously. Normally I get twice as much of a Federal refund, but not this year.
Old 05-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #5
CptSternn

The NBC news did a breakdown the other night on the broadcast. They were showing how food has gone up about 30% in the past few months, gas prices have risen %40 in the past few months, and that heating/cooling etc. has also risen.

They then calculated the average family is spending like $200-$300 more every week in the summer due to the rise of these prices, meaning that $600 will cover the price increases for 2-4 weeks maximum, leaving nothing for investment or any major purchases.

The whole 'fix' idea that this check is supposed to be for only works if the average American forgets about his family, debt, living expenses, and related duties and spends the check frivolously on some big unneeded purchase.

So basically, the American government is hoping that greed and poor money management will save the country from its current monetary issues, which ironically enough are also being caused by greed and poor money management.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:58 PM   #6
Catch

The price of gas went up, so it costs more to ship anything including food. Everyone was fully aware of this when it started. The House of Representatives have been claiming to come up with a plan to lower gas prices, but it hasn't happened.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 AM   #7
Mother Of All Things Odd

Since when has our beloved house been able to come up with a plan to fix anything? They are too busy fighting each other and finger pointing.
They passed this great ethanol bill to get on the global warming band wagon and now farmers can't afford to feed there livestock and it hasn't lowered gas prices either .
Why can't they just agree to drill in Alaska , off the cost of Florida( I live near the beach and I'd lose the view to save 2 dollars at the pump) Luckily I can't see 45 miles off the coast so I wouldn't have too and we need to
open the capped fields. I mean China is going to be drilling off the coast of Florida here real soon thanks to Castro so why aren't we ?
Today's technology makes a lot less environmentally damaging . The tree hugger and the general population can win .( I believe in taking care of the land, it's all we have. I just believe we need to use our resources too.)
Makes too much sense to become energy independent, putting more people to work , and saving people money.( Oh ,and increasing the tax base .)
In the mean time, anybody want to join a motor scooter gang? I go all week on a gallon of gas( 75 miles per gallon) and can go up to 45 miles an hour. The best part is I get to hold up traffic on one lane highways and I get the one finger waves alot.( Just joking, but the little old women in my neighborhood thinks it's cute)
Mother Of All Things Odd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
Mother Of All Things Odd

P.S. the rebate checks are just away for the politicians to pat themselves on the back and say we did something, but I won't complain about getting money.
Yea , America keep on stimulating China's Economy ! ( That's sarcasm)
Mother Of All Things Odd is offline   Reply With Quote