Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:55 PM   #26
BitternessMusic

I would have to agree with gothicusmaximus.

I was actually sent a link to her "Ur So Gay" video :: shudders :: with the comment "ROFLMAOHELOCOPTER sHe Iz LyKe TaLkZiN bOuT YeW!!1!11!" attached. I cannot say I was amused.

Now, if the lyrics actually said something even remotely worthwhile or had a shred of truth that wasn't a gross oversimplification or caricature, I might have found it worth at least a smirk.

As it stands, I made derisive comments referring to said friend's cognitive skills and lack of social regard.

That being said. There are worse things on the radio, I suppose. At least I am not forced to listen to "My Humps" all the time.
BitternessMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:17 PM   #27
zebra

I will keep this short and sweet: I hate Katy Perry.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:30 PM   #28
Tralis

In regards to "My Humps" and Katy Perry it seems far too many female musicians gain attention and sucess by being sexually controversial rather than being talented or having a real message.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:34 PM   #29
BitternessMusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralis
In regards to "My Humps" and Katy Perry it seems far too many female musicians gain attention and sucess by being sexually controversial rather than being talented or having a real message.

And sadly the females who do have talent don't get the same recognition.
BitternessMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #30
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by a morbid curiosity
I don't particularly like corporate whores. I have a bigger problem with corporate whores that haven't the faintest idea what they are doing. Katy Perry obviously thinks that she's writing funny and ironic "feminist" lyrics that are going to make her a millionaire. What she's really doing is destroying feminism--in fact, destroying females.

For example...

"Us girls we are so magical
Soft skin red lips so kissable
Hard to resist so touchable"
-I Kissed A Girl
Not really.
I'm a feminist and I like her.
Quote:
How many times in your life do you actually come across a girl that is so radiantly beautiful and gorgeous-looking that she's totally irresistible? Not many. However, on TELEVISION and in MAGAZINES, it's a different matter. Skincare, make-up and perfume ads are full of impossibly beautiful women. They are not real, but that's how women are being portrayed to the mainstream. This makes women feel inadequate and generally awful about their appearance, and makes them buy more products in order to feel better about themselves and feel more desirable--therefore, they continue to be oppressed, even without being able to put their finger on exactly how. Katy Perry's song is just another addition to the entire vicious circle and the fact that she thinks she's so feminist and smart when she doesn't know what the fuck she is doing and how she is affecting the media with her posing and preening in her music videos, just aggravates me no end.
Actually, she'll probably be making hardly any money. She must be purely in it for the "art".
Holy shit.
If women are that easily put down and destroyed, it's their own weakness.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:11 AM   #31
Saya

So do you have a problem with men objectifying women? And if so, what about women objectifying women? And in this case women objectifying women to impress men?
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:24 AM   #32
a morbid curiosity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Not really.
I'm a feminist and I like her.

If women are that easily put down and destroyed, it's their own weakness.
I beg to differ. Perhaps you, as a feminist, have managed to evade the 3000-or-so images of perfect models that we receive every week. However, for others it may not be quite so easy; I don't know if you've ever bothered to flick through an ordinary women's magazine but the articles are very self-conscious, often giving advice on how to look like a celebrity, which celebrities are curvy and which are plain fat, how to diet, and how to dress--as they have ever since women got the vote. Women began working, the circulation went down on magazines and clothes and people thought "Oh no! How else can we make them buy our goods? I know, let's subliminally make them feel horrible about themselves so that the only way to feel better is to buy make-up and clothes and magazines!"

Women always seem far more insecure about their appearance than men, but this is not just an exclusively female trait. These days, there's more of a generic beauty thing among men as well, and guess what? The figures for eating disorders among teenage boys have gone up.

In any case, you can be a feminist and still enjoy the music of Katy Perry if you want. I just happen to find her music irritating, her image depressing and her lyrics faintly ridiculous.
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM   #33
gothicusmaximus

Ophelia's justification for enjoying Katy Perry's music must be 'just 'cuz', because there really is no defensible reason for finding her to be anything but despicable. You might be a feminist, Oph, and you might be pro-gay, but you have to acknowledge that your appreciation for Katy Perry is in spite of those standards.
Even if you view anyone who succumbs to a campaign to deprecate and undermine women that pervades our media and culture to be 'weak', surely you can't deny that the people who advance a campaign to deprecate and undermine women are assholes.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #34
JCC

Sometimes you have to separate the music from the ideology behind it, if I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to listen to most Black Metal. ... Of course if you just judge by music you shouldn't like Katy Perry either.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:48 PM   #35
PortraitOfSanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Sometimes you have to separate the music from the ideology behind it, if I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to listen to most Black Metal
I don't have that problem with most Black Metal, just NSBM.

Some power electronics I have to do that too.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #36
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
I don't have that problem with most Black Metal, just NSBM.

Some power electronics I have to do that too.
Norwegian Black Metal was a scene rife with extreme right-wing beliefs, I tend to just shun that to one side and focus on the music.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #37
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saya
So do you have a problem with men objectifying women? And if so, what about women objectifying women? And in this case women objectifying women to impress men?
It's not to impress men, it's to make money.

And for most people, the song is just fun.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:49 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I beg to differ. Perhaps you, as a feminist, have managed to evade the 3000-or-so images of perfect models that we receive every week. However, for others it may not be quite so easy; I don't know if you've ever bothered to flick through an ordinary women's magazine but the articles are very self-conscious, often giving advice on how to look like a celebrity, which celebrities are curvy and which are plain fat, how to diet, and how to dress--as they have ever since women got the vote. Women began working, the circulation went down on magazines and clothes and people thought "Oh no! How else can we make them buy our goods? I know, let's subliminally make them feel horrible about themselves so that the only way to feel better is to buy make-up and clothes and magazines!"

Women always seem far more insecure about their appearance than men, but this is not just an exclusively female trait. These days, there's more of a generic beauty thing among men as well, and guess what? The figures for eating disorders among teenage boys have gone up.

In any case, you can be a feminist and still enjoy the music of Katy Perry if you want. I just happen to find her music irritating, her image depressing and her lyrics faintly ridiculous.
I have flipped through women's magazines, I see good looking women, and one of my guilty pleasures is America's Next Top Model.

Unlike most women, I can separate fantasy from reality, and I am pretty confident in my looks.

If women aren't able to do either of these things, it's not the media's fault, it's their own.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Sometimes you have to separate the music from the ideology behind it, if I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to listen to most Black Metal. ... Of course if you just judge by music you shouldn't like Katy Perry either.
True.
I have a weakness for fun pop music.

Britney, anyone?
Old 09-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #40
a morbid curiosity

But isn't that just like saying it's fine to insult someone because if they were a decent person they would be able to cope with it?
a morbid curiosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:06 AM   #41
Slap Your Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra
I will keep this short and sweet: I hate Katy Perry.
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #42
MegearaErotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
After reading this thread, I investigated this woman and her music, and I must ask: has anyone else recognized that this woman is virulently, unabashedly homophobic and heterosexist? This goes beyond the use of the word 'gay' to mean 'disagreeable', she, or whoever writes her music, seems actively engaged in marginalizing the gay community and reducing its members to caricatures. Let's take a look at 'Ur So Gay' shall we?

"You don’t eat meat
And drive electrical cars
You’re so indie rock it’s almost an art
You need SPF 45 just to stay alive

You’re so gay and you don’t even like boys"

This establishes certain qualities as 'gay', as if homosexuals were more likely to demonstrate them than straight men, while simultaneously denouncing them as repugnant, and that among these qualities are concern for the environment and vegetarianism certainly doesn't make her seem less hateful. If this song were about any other minority, it would never have gotten airplay. Imagine

"You're sexually voracious
and sell marijuana
You wear baggy clothes to hide your guns
You need fried chicken just to say alive.
You're so black and you don't even have black skin!"

"I kissed a girl" is certainly less offensive, but is nevertheless sure to represent bisexuality is 'just experimental' and, subtly, as an illegitimate orientation. Again, shifting the subject to a different minority reveals the absurdity here. "I kissed a jew"?
Everything you said in this post is absolutely true. I can't believe how demoralizing her songs are.
MegearaErotica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #43
Necrotansy

I reeeeeeeeeally lol'd.
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 AM   #44
Necrotansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso
I like Katy Perry's I Kissed a Girl as a song, but am extremely disapointed in the video. I did enjoy Ur So Gay- the video, song, and remix (yes, the spelling choice does make my brain twitch).
Oh yeah? What about Pussycat Dolls' "Stickwitu" ?
Necrotansy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:19 AM   #45
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Sometimes you have to separate the music from the ideology behind it, if I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to listen to most Black Metal.
Uh... no. If a band earnestly believes in white supremacy and ethnic cleansing, I don't give a shit if they're the greatest musical ensemble ever to tread the earth-- I don't buy their albums, I don't go to their shows, I don't support them in any way. A talented bigot is still a bigot.

Quote:
It's not to impress men, it's to make money.
It's to make money by impressing men.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #46
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Uh... no. If a band earnestly believes in white supremacy and ethnic cleansing, I don't give a shit if they're the greatest musical ensemble ever to tread the earth-- I don't buy their albums, I don't go to their shows, I don't support them in any way. A talented bigot is still a bigot.
Yet you still like H.P. Lovecraft?

Besides, I don't buy albums.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:07 PM   #47
Godslayer Jillian

A column in my college newspaper talked about bisexuality.
It began by saying that most everyone has had an experience of it by the song of katy perry.
Then she went on to saying that she and her friends (no expert consulted, not even LGBT or Woman's Studies) agree that bisexuals are either:
confused
or greedy

FUCK HER!!!!

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #48
Zerachiel

o_O God forbid she has an opinion.
Honestly? We have our opinions, she has hers. So what?
It may not be good or right, but she has them, and for the sake she'll go right out and say it. Great, just a matter if you're gonna make such a HUGE fuss about something someone said...
Zerachiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #49
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, I love opinions. That's why I demand respect when I think the fourth reich is the only way to go.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #50
JCC

Who in this thread has said anything other than THEIR opinion, you dumb bleeding heart motherfucker?