Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #26
Godslayer Jillian

I fucking have to read Phalaniuk in the near future. Both my best friend and pretty girl keep telling me to read it. I'm lagging behind.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #27
gothicusmaximus

Chuck Palahniuk fucking sucks, he embodies everything that's wrong with contemporary literature. Although it's to his credit that I consider his work literature, which privilege I don't extend to, say, Twilight, it's still awful.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #28
Godslayer Jillian

How come? I'm curious.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:50 AM   #29
Fae-wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothicusmaximus
Chuck Palahniuk fucking sucks, he embodies everything that's wrong with contemporary literature. Although it's to his credit that I consider his work literature, which privilege I don't extend to, say, Twilight, it's still awful.
Yeah, I'm curious to know to.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #30
Tralis

Sometimes I think he lacks versatility, but I definitely like the way he writes and the sorts of stories he thinks up. Its very dark in a way that I can identify with. I really feel for the narrator in Fight Club in the beginning of the book, how he's trapped in a completely meaningless life where all his time drifts together to the point where he doesn't even miss the time spent as his alter ego. How he's so trapped in a meaningless rat race that he has to go to support groups for diseases he doesn't have just so he has some real feeling in his life.
Tralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #31
Fae-wolf

Well, I learned that Chuck actually went to those support groups, so most the stuff he wrote his from his expierence.
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:28 PM   #32
Elysiume

I wanted to read Fight Club, but I couldn't find a cheap copy, and they didn't have it any of the local libraries. I loved the film, so I'm saving for a copy of the book.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #33
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
How come? I'm curious.
He seems to believe that an 'edgy' subject matter liberates him from any obligation to tell a story skillfully. His prose is artless, shallow, and often simply flawed. Although he can occasionally gestate a provocative idea, he rarely articulates it well, and apparently recognizes what a challenge composing a good line is for him given that he'll repeat them, verbatim, from novel to novel. He doesn't seem to appreciate that crafting your diction and syntax on a macrocosmic level is necessary to create unity of theme.
His stories are decent, one can get into them, but he's a poor writer.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #34
viscus

I haven't read much Palahniuk, but it seems to me that he's overly misanthropic, and all of his main characters seem to have the same sarcastic disposition no matter how different they are supposed to be.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM   #35
Saya

I liked Stranger Than Fiction, some of the stories were kinda boring and dragged on, but altogether was a good book.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote