Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
DeathlyAngelOfTokioHotel

I'm a new and confused goth girl....

Just a little about me.

You can call me Zina. I'm a teenage goth girl and I have no clue what kind of Goth I am. Hopefully, by what I am going to tell you about myself, viewers will be able to help me decifer what kind of Goth I really am.

I love music. I don't know what I'd do without it in my life. I really want to start a band of my own soon with some friends called Deathly Angels. I love singing. It's my passion. I plan to be lead singer in the band, if possible. Art is a hobby of mine. I love drawing people, mainly because they are the only thing I can draw. I'm trying to master the hands and feet because those are my weak points. I love anime: japanese cartoons. I love reading manga as well: japanese comic books. I would love to wear corsets and all that kind of clothing, but my mom says it's not appropriate for my age. I also love writing and reading. I hate non-fiction stories. My favorite genres are fantasy, romance, action, and vampires. Now, don't say that I'm not Goth because I love vampires. I love all sorts of creatures like them. I write fiction stories about vampires, my favorite bands, all sorts of things. I'm writing a couple at the same time right now. One is called "Automatically in Love" which has to do with my favorite band, Tokio Hotel. Another is called "Freezing to Death" which is about a frozen, haunted lake. (Trust me, it's better than it sounds!)

The goth scene really appeals to me. From the moment I saw a little of it, I've been drawn to it. The style, the scenery, the atmosphere, the being yourself is all so amazing! I love every second of being part of the culture.

From what you know know about me, does anybody think they can help me figure out what kind of Goth I am?
DeathlyAngelOfTokioHotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #2
OnyxBat

Welcome!
Well you don't really have to be a type of goth, you could just make it what you want to be there's no rule to have a type. But if you like mangas you could try the gothic loita look. Why don't you put the corset over a shirt maybe your mom will make an adception to that.
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Sinjob

How about dropping superficial bullshit and finding out who YOU are first; then try and determine what you like.

What a dreadful conformist you are.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
Tam Li Hua

Ignore Sinjob; he's permanelty PMS-ing. =)

Welcome to the boards. Please familiarize yourself with the following bands:

Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Siouxsie and the Banshees
The Cure
Depeche Mode

These bands and others like them are what started the Goth subculture; it's good to at least know who they are, and also that Bela Lugosi is undead, undead, undead.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Sinjob

First of all: I'm a man. And what a man I am. But enough about me, how about you? You're subjecting yourself to this label as well and just giving her the names of bands that are considered "goth". Just chill out with this term and find out who you are so you can function in this world.
And with that, you grow up.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #6
Tam Li Hua

1. I know you're a man.

2. I'm not saying she has to listen to only those bands, or even like them, but it's generally good to have a working knowledge as to where the subculture started.

3. I'm a grown adult with a full-time job and a wonderful marriage. I don't even listen to those bands much myself, and am more than well aware that I can [and do] have my own interests. However, it just so happens that a lot of those interests fall under this particular subculture label, and I'm okay with that. =)

4. If the Goth label bothers you so much, then feel free to pursue your life as NotAGoth. I certainly will not stop you. ^_^
Old 08-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Sinjob

Its not that I don't see gothiness in me, I love the music and feel of it. But I don't really concern myself with saying it or thinking it, just being. You know, in a zen like state of just being.

Its good to know you know I am a man.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
OnyxBat

Bravo!! he knows what he is!
just be your self (to deathlyangeloftokiohotel) and enjoy
Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
d0p3y

realease the rabit gerbils !!!!!

"No todo es blanco o negro, es gris todo depende del matiz..."
(Mago de oz)

"your life does not belong to you, it belongs to the people that love you."
(incognito)

"laying to ones self, is laying to the world"
(incognito)

"El que por su gusto muere, hasta la muerte le sabe."
(incognito)
d0p3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #10
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

Is it being a Goth you seek or the Gothic scene your looking to fit into?
there is a difference.
I'm sure you'll find your way through the forest, don't mind the wolves on the way to grandma's house.
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyAngelOfTokioHotel View Post
From what you know know about me, does anybody think they can help me figure out what kind of Goth I am?
2 book I found helpful when I did the Gothic culture for a Cultural Anthropology class: "Gothic Craft" & "Gothic Chic". Both books give categorizes and a description of what that group in-tails from clothing to music.

They may help you but it is better to be true to yourself than fitting into a mold created by someone else.
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
allyssa

you sound like an extremely intelligent and creative girl! And your stories sound very mystical and precocious. I hope you will not be to frightened to post them in the literature section, as well sin job is the biggest $%&&**
$^&*%^hole on this site , so we will just ignore him.....
allyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Pooka

Like Tam said, ignore Sinjob, so far from what I've seen, he gets his panties in a twist about everything.
I say welcome, find out who you are, goth isn't to be defined as tightly as most think. Don't try to 'fit' into any label, just be who you feel you are
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooka View Post
goth isn't to be defined as tightly as most think. Don't try to 'fit' into any label, just be who you feel you are
Why is it that the ones who say this are the ones who look the most alike?

But I do like the OP. Hi.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM   #15
OnyxBat

What ever you do stay away from gothiccharmschool.com that is not the place you want to start in.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
Sinjob

Pooka: You're a contradicting fucking moron.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
lady_cthulhu

OnyxBat, out of genuine curiosity, may I ask what it is about gothiccharmschool.com that bothers you?
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #18
OnyxBat

The owner of the site has no clue what so ever on what she is writing! I like the fact that her goal is to tell people that goths are not freaks that kill but the way that she gives her advice and her topics are horrible. She even calls her self the ambassador of all goths! Yeah right! She also said she wishes there was a hotopic when she was younger and then she talks crap about goths who wear baggy pants when that's one of the items that hottopic sells. She just a pathetic person who said goths has to be well mannered and nice to people who don't deserve it.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #19
Darkemostar

Welcome Zina, my name's Darkemostar!
Darkemostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:17 PM   #20
Razeal18

Ony is Gawthierr than Gothic charm school. Deathly angel i know what type of goth you are.And its not goth. My dear you are Emo. I know its difficult to accept but we all have shortcomings in our lives (pun intended). Emo is best described as the gay little brother of goth who also wants to be molested. Wear a silly and over done ugly haircut, wear lots of tight fitting clothing and act as if your bi-curious. also start developing a cutting habit and write lots of bad poetry. You'll fit right in, but not here . (please take that in the joking context it deserves

Onybat its a television/YouTube personality, I never take them seriously. Plus there are people who enjoy a more Victorian aesthetic mixed in with the alternative ways. Just look at steam punk.

Sin job you are not special. you are not knowledgeable Historically speaking those quite literally are the bands that started goth. Stop being a pseudo douche and read a book or 2
By thy shut soul's hypocrisy;
By the perfection of thine art
Which pass'd for human thine own heart;
By thy delight in others' pain,
And by thy brotherhood of Cain,
I call upon thee! and compel
Thyself to be thy proper Hell!

-Manfred by Lord Byron
Razeal18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
Breathless Horror

I'm so goth I'm not even a goth like the rest of you conformists. Fuck this "you aren't goth" "gawthier than thou" bullshit. Rock what you like, respect that others may not rock as yourself.

Welcome Zina, I'm not sure wether to try and make you feel comfy here or to urge you to run before it's too late.

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxBat View Post
The owner of the site has no clue what so ever on what she is writing! I like the fact that her goal is to tell people that goths are not freaks that kill but the way that she gives her advice and her topics are horrible. She even calls her self the ambassador of all goths! Yeah right! She also said she wishes there was a hotopic when she was younger and then she talks crap about goths who wear baggy pants when that's one of the items that hottopic sells. She just a pathetic person who said goths has to be well mannered and nice to people who don't deserve it.
Hmm...actually, from what I've read other people refer to her as the ambassador of all goths. I may have missed something, but the impression I've always gotten is that she tries to avoid that. I don't see anything pathetic about encouraging people to be well-mannered either, it's a good idea no matter who you are. Also, I don't think she's pathetic, just trying to help. She's not going to be able to offer advice that works for everyone, and she knows it.
Not to put you down OnyxBat, as that is not my style, but I must disagree.

Welcome Zina! I apologize for not greeting you sooner. Breathless said it best, just be yourself and have fun whilst respecting others. If you'd like to show off some of your work, then I hope you'll post a piece or two in the Dark Arts community. : D
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
Pooka

Bravo Breathless Horror
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #24
Pooka

And how sweet Sinjob, I'm starting to think you like me or something. I'd hate to break your sugar coated heart but I'm not interested.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #25
ape descendant

I can't afford the amount of alcohol it would take to give me the patience actually read all of that drivel.. come on you guys...

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote