Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #151
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
You read books on quantum physics? For enjoyment? No do you actually have any idea of what any of it means or does reading all of the big words just make you feel like there are really smart people out there who are going to solve the world's problems?
Oh wow.
I actually understand it. WHY is that so hard to believe?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:53 PM   #152
JCC

Quantum physics is monumentally boring for a start. It's mainly research into protons and sub-atomic particles and shit, and it's what everyone says they like when they're trying to be pretentious when I think we'd all be much more impressed if you just said you like Bukowski or read French Symbolists or something.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:56 PM   #153
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
But the personal responses are there, and I'm responding to that at the moment.
Alright I agree we do not need to remove ones personal standards but doing so does not directly imply that you have now magically lost brain power. Since you don't seem to disagree with that, I think that argument is settled.
Remember I read Twilight too. The difference between you and me is that you enjoyed it.
As another example, I read Harry Potter and seen the movies and I am hooked with the stupid Saw movies that I just know I'm going to watch the next two despite how shitty they are.
The fact that I do this does not mean I am going to justify them and try to defend these and say they're not kitsch that is only interested in sales. I am just as bad for being caught in a current of FAIL.
Twilight fucking sucks, Saw fucking sucks; they're kitschy and the fact that they're so bought is a sad hint of what society cares about.
Twilight is for twelve year old 'dark' egotists that want the perfect boyfriend.
Saw is for idiots that like gore and like pretending the puzzles are challenging to the intellect or some other nonsense.
If they're entertaining then what? That does not mean they don't suck. Neither does it mean they're justified in their existence.
Fellini's movies are entertaining. When someone has finished the Fellini collection and the Chaplin collection and the Groucho Marx collection, then it might be justifiable to see a stupid movie for entertainment. Otherwise it's just either conformity, laziness, or under achievement.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #154
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Quantum physics is monumentally boring for a start. It's mainly research into protons and sub-atomic particles and shit, and it's what everyone says they like when they're trying to be pretentious when I think we'd all be much more impressed if you just said you like Bukowski or read French Symbolists or something.
I'm not trying to impress you. I could care less what you think. This isn't a sorority, it's an internet forum.
I don't care what EVERYONE says, quantum physics is what interests me, and I stand by it.
Anything I would have said would have been disputed. Even if I said I liked something you all agree on, you would come back at me saying "well YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT DURR"
Old 07-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #155
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Remember I read Twilight too. The difference between you and me is that you enjoyed it.
As another example, I read Harry Potter and seen the movies and I am hooked with the stupid Saw movies that I just know I'm going to watch the next two despite how shitty they are.
The fact that I do this does not mean I am going to justify them and try to defend these and say they're not kitsch that is only interested in sales. I am just as bad for being caught in a current of FAIL.
Twilight fucking sucks, Saw fucking sucks; they're kitschy and the fact that they're so bought is a sad hint of what society cares about.
Twilight is for twelve year old 'dark' egotists that want the perfect boyfriend.
Saw is for idiots that like gore and like pretending the puzzles are challenging to the intellect or some other nonsense.
If they're entertaining then what? That does not mean they don't suck. Neither does it mean they're justified in their existence.
Fellini's movies are entertaining. When someone has finished the Fellini collection and the Chaplin collection and the Groucho Marx collection, then it might be justifiable to see a stupid movie for entertainment. Otherwise it's just either conformity, laziness, or under achievement.
But if it amuses you then doesn't that mean it doesn't suck? I think our ideas are just different.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:02 PM   #156
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I'm not trying to impress you. I could care less what you think. This isn't a sorority, it's an internet forum.
I don't care what EVERYONE says, quantum physics is what interests me, and I stand by it.
Anything I would have said would have been disputed. Even if I said I liked something you all agree on, you would come back at me saying "well YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND IT DURR"
I'm going to give you a chance to not be completely humiliated.
A good buddy of mine IS a physicist.
If I like, I can prove in like ten seconds that you're full of shit.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #157
Godslayer Jillian

That would be a very selfish and solipsist philosophy for my taste.
If clubbing seals were fun for me, it would not justify it in any way. If I found reckless vandalism such as heavy urination in my town's water supply amusing that would not validate my actions.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:03 PM   #158
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
No you can't, because you still don't know me or what I have the ability to understand.
Humiliated? you can only be humiliated if you give a shit, which like I said before I do not.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:04 PM   #159
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
That would be a very selfish and solipsist philosophy for my taste.
If clubbing seals were fun for me, it would not justify it in any way. If I found reckless vandalism such as heavy urination in my town's water supply amusing that would not validate my actions.
I'm pretty sure watching a movie isn't in the same boat as clubbing seals.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #160
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
P.S
My mom is a physicist.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #161
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
No you can't, because you still don't know me or what I have the ability to understand.
Humiliated? you can only be humiliated if you give a shit, which like I said before I do not.
Ok, let's go.

Which branch of quantum physics interests you the most?
Go ahead.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #162
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
P.S
My mom is a physicist.
No she's not.
She's a woman, and therefore a failure at everything, remember?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #163
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
P.S
My mom is a physicist.
Also, you shouldn't have said that, because now we all know that if you're pressed on a question concerning physics, you'll just get Mommy to help you out.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #164
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Ok, let's go.

Which branch of quantum physics interests you the most?
Go ahead.
Don't know official names but I can describe it.
The study of thought and energy.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #165
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Also, you shouldn't have said that, because now we all know that if you're pressed on a question concerning physics, you'll just get Mommy to help you out.
She also has a job, you know IN THE DAYTIME.
There you go again with YOU ALL. You're the only one who is sitting there trying to question me in an attempt to make yourself feel high and mighty.
I'm not TRYING TO IMPRESS YOU, how many freaking times do I have to repeat myself.
And no hun, I'm not planning to lie. I'll answer the questions honestly and even if it does make you laugh, it won't change my interest in the area in the least. Like I said your opinion won't influence my reality in the least.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #166
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
I'm pretty sure watching a movie isn't in the same boat as clubbing seals.
And now we come to another thing I hate about today's society.
The ultimate postmodernist kitsch rationalization: The Double Standard!

Your argument that watching a movie and clubbing seals being different despite the identical line of thought and the exact same validity is just arbitrary. It's simply drawing in the line in an unjustified spot not based on inquiry or even introspection, but merely in simple sentiments and societal norms.

They are both exactly the same in principal. Yet because they're different scenarios they have different results. Not even existentialists would allow that amount of "pick and choose"

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #167
Solumina

Quote:
Oh wow.
I actually understand it. WHY is that so hard to believe?
It isn't hard for me to believe that YOU understand it, I just can't believe that anyone would enjoy reading a book about quantum physics, even if you both understand and enjoy the subject, because the fun of quantum physics is in going beyond the existing work and the books are just kind of around to be used as textbooks (and there aren't many people out there who enjoy reading textbooks, though I suppose there could be a few). That being said I do know a few people who enjoy hearing scientific lectures and reading books far beyond their own comprehension because it gives them the same feeling of comfort that I get out of rapping myself up in a warm fuzzy blanket.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #168
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Don't know official names but I can describe it.
The study of thought and energy.
So you're so interested in quantum physics that you don't even know the name of the branch you're interested in?

You've read so much about it and understood it so completely that you don't even know the name...?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #169
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
No she's not.
She's a woman, and therefore a failure at everything, remember?
I only have a problem with some woman, just because you happen to be one of them doesn't mean I have a grudge against all women kind.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #170
Lapin

Bet you she's Googling like crazy now to find out the branches of quantum physics.
Lapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #171
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
So you're so interested in quantum physics that you don't even know the name of the branch you're interested in?

You've read so much about it and understood it so completely that you don't even know the name...?
A name is just a way to label and organize the material. I understand the material itself, what is the problem?
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #172
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I only have a problem with some woman, just because you happen to be one of them doesn't mean I have a grudge against all women kind.
PS--you have shit English.
No wonder you read Twilight.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:11 PM   #173
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapin
Bet you she's Googling like crazy now to find out the branches of quantum physics.
If I did I would have told her an exact branch you idiot. I'm clearly being honest since I'm showing flaw. Just shut up.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #174
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
It isn't hard for me to believe that YOU understand it, I just can't believe that anyone would enjoy reading a book about quantum physics, even if you both understand and enjoy the subject, because the fun of quantum physics is in going beyond the existing work and the books are just kind of around to be used as textbooks (and there aren't many people out there who enjoy reading textbooks, though I suppose there could be a few). That being said I do know a few people who enjoy hearing scientific lectures and reading books far beyond their own comprehension because it gives them the same feeling of comfort that I get out of rapping myself up in a warm fuzzy blanket.
I read my psychology textbook for fun to, and I honestly enjoyed it. It maybe unlikely but it's true, I like learning about certain things.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:13 PM   #175
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
A name is just a way to label and organize the material. I understand the material itself, what is the problem?
Ok, prove that.

Seriously, if you turn out to not be a lying moron, I'll leave you alone.