Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
Tam Li Hua

honeythorn: Ok, let me clarify: What I meant was that parents generally have a different outlook regarding kids than do folks who have never had children. [Though, of course, there are some individuals who will hate them regardless.]

I'm not saying that when you become a parent, you'll instantly love all the children of the world, but I -do- think one's outlook changes once one has a child of their own. [This is assuming the person keeps the child and raises it themselves.]

Ophie: I agree; parents need to discipline their kids better, but the kid is just being a kid.

As for restaurants, the only one on there that I recognize is Applebee's, and down here in good ol' Bama kids are just as likely to be there as they are the grocery store.

Maybe it's a regional thing, though; what part of the US do you live in, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 AM   #27
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by underwater ophelia
...are you serious? What restaurants are you going to?
Yes, I'm serious. Let's see...

-- Applebee's
-- Satsuki [a little japanese restaurant the fiance and I fell in love with.]
-- Chili's
-- Red Robin [Though we don't eat there any more; too overpriced for what it is. :/]
-- Cracker Barrell
-- Moe's
-- Red Lobster
-- Olive Garden
-- Any other local restaurant.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:25 AM   #28
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua

Yes, I'm serious. Let's see...

-- Applebee's
-- Satsuki [a little japanese restaurant the fiance and I fell in love with.]
-- Chili's
-- Red Robin [Though we don't eat there any more; too overpriced for what it is. :/]
-- Cracker Barrell
-- Moe's
-- Red Lobster
-- Olive Garden
-- Any other local restaurant.
Ok, no offense, but none of those are "upscale" restaurants and ALL of them are family restaurants. If you don't want to eat where kids are, don't go to a family restaurant.

And I live in the Philly area. Just as many children here as anywhere else.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM   #29
Metabolik

Lol, my mates little nephew made me spill my dinner over myself cos he tried to nick my food and my iPod

I got gravy all over my Disturbed shirt :'(
Old 09-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #30
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Ok, no offense, but none of those are "upscale" restaurants and ALL of them are family restaurants. If you don't want to eat where kids are, don't go to a family restaurant.

And I live in the Philly area. Just as many children here as anywhere else.
Hey, you were the one that mentioned Applebee's first, dearie. I just went off what I thought you were looking for.

Besides, if these places you mentioned are as ritzy as I'm thinking, I probably wouldn't be able to afford them anyways [much less find them in the Montgomery area. ]
Old 09-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #31
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Hey, you were the one that mentioned Applebee's first, dearie. I just went off what I thought you were looking for.

Besides, if these places you mentioned are as ritzy as I'm thinking, I probably wouldn't be able to afford them anyways [much less find them in the Montgomery area. ]
Why did you take offense and then act condescending when I made it clear I wasn't trying to be rude?

Anyway, yes, some of the places I mentioned are pretty expensive, bills easily coming to two or three hundred dollars for two meals including wine.

However, at some of the other you could easily get away with eating there for fifty or a hundred.

My point wasn't to act like I have tons of money and live a superstar lifestyle, my point was that if you are eating at places that are cheaper, children WILL be there, because people don't want to pay tons of money for a child's meal, because it's likely the kid won't even like it.

Now, I don't know your financial situation, but it might work for you if you went out less often to places a bit on the expensive end, thereby nearly guaranteeing the absence of screaming kids.

Another option that's less expensive than going out is buying some nice food and wine and making it at home, then creating a mood by lighting candles and dressing up as if you were going out someplace very fancy.

Remember, it's cheaper to eat lobster at home than it is to eat chicken fingers and fries out. You don't have to tip, and the food is less overpriced.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:58 AM   #32
Underwater Ophelia

What's more--if you like sushi, a sushi restaurant is a great place to avoid kids. Few American children would eat it, and even if they did, parents are unwise to allow them to eat it, because raw meat+a child's immune system is not good.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #33
Tam Li Hua

Ophie: Sorry if I came across as offended; that wasn't my intention.

Anyways, the Fiance and I usually eat meals at home, both because of the reasons you mentioned and because both of us are pretty tight on funds at the moment. And even when we do go out, we try to split something so we don't pay more than $20 a meal. [Any more than that feels like a -huge- extravagence to both of us.]

Thank you for the suggestion, but I'm not really a fan of sushi. I like most any other kind of asian food, but sushi just hasn't made the list, even after trying it multiple times.

As for thinking you live a superstar lifestyle, I didn't mean to indicate that you do; in fact I'm kind of confused why you think I think that. O.o;; Ritzy isn't bad by a long shot; it just is what it is. I wouldn't mind eating at such a place, as long as I have the money and at least one other person with me [or if someone else with the money has offered to pay for my meal there. ] However, I think it would be a little difficult to find such places here in M-town. [Like ritzy restaurants, Montgomery just is what it is. ]

As for Applebee's, it's one of my favorite places because they have really great deals there. ^__^
Old 09-09-2008, 12:15 PM   #34
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
[color=plum]honeythorn: Ok, let me clarify: What I meant was that parents generally have a different outlook regarding kids than do folks who have never had children. [Though, of course, there are some individuals who will hate them regardless.]

I'm not saying that when you become a parent, you'll instantly love all the children of the world, but I -do- think one's outlook changes once one has a child of their own. [This is assuming the person keeps the child and raises it themselves.]
To help young Miss Claire explain herself.

If someone doesn't like kids, they won't fucking have them. Ergo, they can't possibly change their opinions when they become parents because they never will become parents.

Don't be so thick.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

- Tough Shit, Mickey by Conflict
Joker_in_the_Pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:37 PM   #35
honeythorn

Which is exactly what I said in the beginning. I don't know, did it not come across clearly But basically yes that is what I meant.

I mean
Quote:
when you become a parent
THAT is what irritates me! It's so fucking presumptious and condescending. I WON'T become a parent because I DETEST children full stop.

I'm hardly going to have one just to see if I like it am I? Once you have one you can't go " nah don't like it " and give it back. You're stuck with the little fucker screaming and puking and demanding god knows what.

I can only hope and pray for the day the NHS allows women who haven't had a child and never want one to be sterillised free if they want it.

I think it's disgusting that only women who have had a child are allowed a free sterilisation, yet those who deliberately and definitely want to avoid overpopulating the world with yet more unwanted brats because they genuinely dislike, cannot afford or have no time for children, are not permitted, mostly on the assumption that they will/might change their minds.

Ok fair enough some may well indeed do that, but I think that they should perhaps draw up some sort of form that must be signed, stating that if a woman does change her mind, she must pay for the reversal operation and any possible fertility treatment out of her own pocket instead of the NHS paying for it.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 12:48 PM   #36
Tam Li Hua

honeythorn: Are you really all that offended because I said 'when' instead of 'if'? If you don't want to have kids, then don't have kids; I didn't mean to indicate when you, personally, have kids, but was using it as a general 'you'.

I'm of the same opinion as you, to be honest; the idea of getting pregnant and/or having children terrifies me! Neither the fiance nor myself are too keen on having any, ever, and I rather like your idea about sterilization.

The world already has enough people in it. If we were having a reverse crisis in population...in that there weren't very many folks in it and we -needed- to have kids...then I'd probably feel different.

I think that when we are a bit more financial stable, that I may talk him [the fiance] into getting surgery, since it's MUCH easier for a guy than a girl.

As far as surgery goes, though, there are a couple of ways to be certain: A hysterctimy [sp?] is one, and 'having your tubes tied' is another. But if neither of those are preferable, there's always the BC pills, condoms, and even morning-after pills. Hell, there's even abortion, if you like! Or, if you decide to give the child life, you can give it away to a couple who can't have kids and are more than willing to raise it.

Thus, in our wonderful modern world, there are all sorts of ways in which you do not have to be a parent, nor even get pregnant. ^___^ [I'm sure you know all this, but am posting it anyways for those who may not.]
Old 09-09-2008, 01:13 PM   #37
honeythorn

Quote:
I'm of the same opinion as you, to be honest; the idea of getting pregnant and/or having children terrifies me!
I suggest you read again as that is not my opinion at all. The idea of getting pregnant or giving birth to the child is not what disgusts me. It's the child itself.

And here the NHS generally offers tube tying and sometimes burning the womb lining as sterilisation options. Hysterectomies are quite rare unless the woman has a physical problem or disease such as cancer ,that requires it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:23 PM   #38
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
I suggest you read again as that is not my opinion at all. The idea of getting pregnant or giving birth to the child is not what disgusts me. It's the child itself.

And here the NHS generally offers tube tying and sometimes burning the womb lining as sterilisation options. Hysterectomies are quite rare unless the woman has a physical problem or disease such as cancer ,that requires it.
Tam thinks that everyone shares her opinion, remember?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #39
Tam Li Hua

Honeythorn: So....you would be fine with being pregnant and giving birth, but you would not want to keep the child..?

I'm confused. x_x;;

The reason that pregnancy and giving birth scares me isn't just the being pregnant or pushing something the size of a watermelon through a hole the size of a nickel, but rather the idea of being a parent and raising the child.

If it was just being pregnant and giving birth without the parenthood, that would be weird, so I'm not really sure what I would do in that situation.

All my suggestions are geared towards the idea of how to get out of parenthood, if you want me to be exact. [I. E., getting out of having to raise and take care of a child yourself.]
Old 09-09-2008, 01:28 PM   #40
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Tam thinks that everyone shares her opinion, remember?
Ah. Nothing like an ad hominem attack to keep things going, eh Ophie?
Old 09-09-2008, 01:32 PM   #41
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Ah. Nothing like an ad hominem attack to keep things going, eh Ophie?
If you're not going to play, get out of my sandbox.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #42
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
If you're not going to play, get out of my sandbox.
The sandbox is property of the school, so anyone can use it. ^_^ *starts building a sand castle.*
Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #43
Joker_in_the_Pack

Quote:
[color=red]honeythorn: Are you really all that offended because I said 'when' instead of 'if'?
Yes, because, 'if' would imply you're posing a hypothetical situation, 'when' is you being a presumptuous prick.
Because before too long there'll be nothing left alive, not a creature on the land or sea, a bird in the sky. They'll be shot, harpooned, eaten, and hunted too much, vivisected by the clever men who prove that there's no such things as a fair world with live and let live. The Royal family go hunting, what an example to give to the people they lead and that don't include me, I've seen enough pain and torture of those who can't speak...

Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #44
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker_in_the_Pack
Yes, because, 'if' would imply you're posing a hypothetical situation, 'when' is you being a presumptuous prick.
O.o....

Does not compute. Does not compute.

Craziness. Absolute craziness.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM   #45
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
O.o....

Does not compute. Does not compute.

Makes sense, as it's clear your central computation system is failing quickly.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #46
Necrophagist

Nothing wrong with children. Something wrong with 10 year olds though.
Necrophagist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #47
Solumina

I have noticed a severe lack of discipline among kids these days. Sure there are still some great little ones out there that melt my heart but most of the children I have met are terrors. I know that in most cases it is due to the parents letting the kids walk all over them (just watch one of those nanny reality shows if you need some proof).

I would also love to know of a restaurant that people don't bring their brats to (I have no problem with well behaved children and I think that they deserve to be able to go to places that their not so well behaved peers are unwelcome). I would have thought that the Melting Pot would have been a safe bet but apparently some people think that clumsy, misbehaved brats mix well with fondue, Bonefish also seemed like it wouldn't been filled with kids but no luck there (and those ones were rather cranky cuz they didn't want anything on the menu). The one place that I have been that was entirely lacking in children had an age restriction and while I am fond of the place it can easily run you $45 per person so it isn't so great for a regular night out.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:28 PM   #48
honeythorn

Quote:
[color=red]Honeythorn: So....you would be fine with being pregnant and giving birth, but you would not want to keep the child..?

I'm confused. x_x;;
The idea of pregnancy and giving birth, of having something grow inside you, doesn't scare me no. I wouldn't be afraid of bringing up a child. I am not scared of children. I am disgusted by them .

IF and that is the biggest IF in the history of my universe, the horrific and unmentionable occured and I had to force out a screaming bundle of a vile child into the world, NO. I would not keep it. Absolutely not. Not because I am afraid of it or cannot physically keep it living and physically well cared for, but because the thing itself disgusts me and is so supremely annoying.

I would NOT love that child. I know myself more than well enough to know that I would not love it. I am more than capable of taking care of one in the sense of food, clothing ect ect if I absolutely had to , but I would not love or care for the thing emotionally. And no child deserves that no matter how much I detest them.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #49
Joker_in_the_Pack

I'm all for age restrictions at restaurants. I hate going to dinner with my fiance and having a loud screaming pile of matter a few tables away driving me nuts. She happens to love kids, I would be very happy if I never had to see one ever again.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #50
TheBloodEternity

The idea of having a baby inside someone kinda grosses me out, it seems the same to me as a tumor or some form of parasite. Not enough to make me *not* have one, but enough to just make me feel a little uncomfortable around pregnant women.
Now, I wouldn't have kids because I have ZERO patience and I'm honestly barely even able to be responsible for myself, much less a kid. I would probably end up fucking it up somehow. Also, what honeythorn said about not being able to put it back if you aren't particularly fond of the thing.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote