Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
Zarathustra

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Hello. My name is Asher. I'm 19 years old and reside in San Francisco, California, where I enjoy the thriving BDSM and fetish community, which I've been involved in since my 18th birthday. I've always had dark tastes in music (Siouxsie got me through high school), entertainment, dress, humor, and, truth be told, just about everything. People have generally assumed that I am "goth" (or punk or, alas, emo) because of my long standing penchant for black, leather, trench coats, boots, facial piercings and dyed hair, but I never really applied that word to myself in particular. Only recently have I become terribly interested in identifying with the gothic community and seeking out others who enjoy it. So here I am, testing out the waters.

All that said, I think I'm going to fill out these 14 little questions, because they look like fun. Feel free to snooze, this is going to be long.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
I enjoy writing fiction, reading (mainly history, poetry and philosophy), listening to music, and playing music (from time to time). I'm actually a classical trained harpist. I also messed around with bass for awhile. I love movies and am a wannabe film student. I also enjoy clothes and shopping with my girlfriends, because it makes me feel special to have fag hags.

Oh, and the job. I am currently an intern at a non-profit focused on queer youth.

2. Where are you from?
San Francisco, born and raised.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Nietzsche would have to be my favorite of all time. He's the only philosopher who makes me laugh (with him, not at him). I also love Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet. And Catullus and Lucretius and Sallust and other Greek and Roman classical authors. Shakespeare is a no brainer, of course. William Gibson too. And Rilke's poetry is quite beautiful. My tastes, as you can see, are all over the place.

4. What are your favorite films?
Blade Runner! And Natural Born Killers, Blue Velvet, Clockwork Orange, Matrix, Kill Bill. Also love Hitchcock, and old noir stuff. I'm a big fan of Greg Araki, too-- Mysterious Skin, Doom Generation.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
If I ever get married, which is highly doubtful... I really have no idea.

6. At your funeral?
Mozart's requiem. And "Hallelujah" by Rammstein. More important than the music is the "service," though. It would consist of readings from Lucretius, Nietzsche, and possibly other atheistic authors, regarding their views on death.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
In the words of Julius Caesar... "suddenly and unexpectedly." (Boy, he got his wish.)

8. What kind of casket would you want?
I don't care, I'll be dead. Maybe it's better if they never find the body.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My leather trench, combat boots, ripped jeans and a dark T shirt with a cryptic graphic, stud belt, and my inverted cross earring. I am fairly casual.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Actually, being a kid kind of sucked. I was always a misfit. My real enjoyment of life started when I turned 18.

11. What's your favorite band?
I REFUSE to pick just one. Siouxsie And The Banshees were my first love, but strangely, instead of getting more interested in old gothic rock from there (though I do like Bauhaus too), I got into industrial. Absurd Minds, And One, Das Ich, Funker Vogt, KMFDM, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Nine Inch Nails, and Velvet Acid Christ are a few favorites. I also adore Rammstein. Lately my boyfriend is trying to get me more into metal (Behemoth, Impaled Nazarene) and I'm liking it. I enjoy a really wide range of music, though, including old punk, classic rock, rockabilly, swing jazz, weird world stuff, and classical.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
First I went to private schools. Then I dropped out. Then I got my GED. I spent the last two years painfully earning my general ed credits at community college. I have now been conditionally accepted to SFSU and am going to study cinema. I find out if I get to transfer next week. A tumultuous history.

13. Why did you join?
I am hoping to find intelligent, interesting people who share some of my interests and can turn me on to more music, books, movies, and clubs. Ideally I'd like to make IRL friends here.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
I'm a dude. Surprise!

Damn, that was long winded. All appologies.

Asher
Zarathustra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Apathy's_Child

hey dude, good to have you. I have a feeling I'm gonna like you.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
isobel black

Dude, it's Spake. If you're going to be arrogant and pretentious in choosing a user name and title for your intro thread, at least get it right.

I can't help but approve of Chandler and Rilke, and TKK and VAC though, so welcome, I guess.
isobel black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by isobel black View Post
Dude, it's Spake. If you're going to be arrogant and pretentious in choosing a user name and title for your intro thread, at least get it right.
Depends on the translation. Occasionally it IS spoke.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:40 AM   #5
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Depends on the translation. Occasionally it IS spoke.
Ah, wikipedia confirms it. I stand corrected.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
Zarathustra

Quote:
Ah, wikipedia confirms it. I stand corrected.
I suppose I forgive you, even if you did need Wikipedia. I could have given you the German, if that makes you feel better.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

Have you ever seen the episode of Angry Beavers where Norbert falls in love with the hippie beaver?
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
I suppose I forgive you, even if you did need Wikipedia. I could have given you the German, if that makes you feel better.

Man, you're annoying.

I used wiki to confirm there was an alternative title other than the one I knew to be correct.

And I read it in German.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Zarathustra

Quote:
Man, you're annoying.

I used wiki to confirm there was an alternative title other than the one I knew to be correct.

And I read it in German.
I merely point out that sheer logic could have lead you to realize that "Sprach" could be translated as either "Spake" or "Spoke" depending. I admire that you read it in German. My German is very substandard these days. And I regret that you find me annoying. It doesn't take much to get on your bad side, it seems.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Man, you're annoying.

And I read it in German.
Man, you're annoying.
You used wiki to confirm the more common version of the title other than the one you used to accuse him of being pretentious.

And you mention you read it in German. Talk about pretentious.

Only thing he did is forgive you for something you did wrong.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Welcome! Since birds of a feather flock together get your boyfriend to join too, as you both would be a grand addition to our community! Is he as well read as you?

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
Man, you're annoying.
You used wiki to confirm the more common version of the title other than the one you used to accuse him of being pretentious.

And you mention you read it in German. Talk about pretentious.

Only thing he did is forgive you for something you did wrong.
You might want to stop skimming threads.

It's clear that I used wikipedia to confirm the alternative title that was unknown to me, after someone pointed it out to me, and I pretty much admitted I was wrong right away by saying 'I stand corrected'.

It's then the OP who chooses to take a tone with me about using the wiki, and mentions knowing the title in German.

My response to his bragging is admittedly equally pretentious, but don't pull it out of context.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:06 PM   #13
Duane

It's best to quit while you're behind Isobel.

Welcome to Gnet, Ash.
Duane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
isobel black

Quote:
I merely point out that sheer logic could have lead you to realize that "Sprach" could be translated as either "Spake" or "Spoke" depending. I admire that you read it in German. My German is very substandard these days. And I regret that you find me annoying. It doesn't take much to get on your bad side, it seems.
I was only familiar with the one version and incorrectly assumed it was the only one. Mea maxima culpa...
On another note, as a non-native speaker of English I have yet to encounter the (probably archaic) 'spake' in any other context.

What annoyed me was the fact that you seemed to put my use of the wiki in a negative light, when I used it to verify a fact previously unknown to me.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #15
isobel black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane View Post
It's best to quit while you're behind Isobel.
Sycophant.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Godslayer Jillian

I didn't 'skim' through the thread, but I laugh at your use of a false assumption to try and validate your claim.

Quote:
It's clear that I used wikipedia to confirm the alternative title that was unknown to me, after someone pointed it out to me, and I pretty much admitted I was wrong right away by saying 'I stand corrected'.
And he was perfectly entitled to say he forgives you after you accused him of being 'arrogant and pretentious' for something YOU DID WRONG.

Quote:
It's then the OP who chooses to take a tone with me about using the wiki, and mentions knowing the title in German.
He took a tone with you?! Kind of like you had a tone with him?!
Oh no!

Plus, his offer of saying the name in German wasn't pretentiousness. It was a way to prove that he knew what he's talking about so that you won't think he's 'arrogant and pretentious'.
Meanwhile, your input that you have actually read it in German was completely non sequitur and genuinely pretentious.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 05-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

So Speaked Zarathustra is way better in the original Klingon.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 05:11 PM   #18
Pineapple_Juice

^ it has to be true. I have a friend with a disabled brother and he likes to get drunk and drive around in his wheelchair yelling things in Klingon. It doesn't matter what he says, it's fucking hilarious.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:34 AM   #19
isobel black

Save it for the theists and capitalists, Jillian.

So I put my foot in my mouth about the title, we're all pretentious fucks here, and Nietzsche sucks anyway.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:42 AM   #20
JCC

Nietzsche does suck. There is something pretentious about the introduction, but he'll probably settle down once he's been here a little while.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Save it for the theists and capitalists, Jillian.

So I put my foot in my mouth about the title, we're all pretentious fucks here, and Nietzsche sucks anyway.
So?
You were a bitch to him for absolutely no reason, and he forgave you from it, and yet you keep being a bitch for it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #22
isobel black

I'm not going to repeat myself. I feel I've sufficiently explained why I think my bitchyness was justified. It seems you fail or refuse to understand that, which means you're either stupid or being bitchy for the sake of it yourself.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #23
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah. That must be it. It can't possibly be that after he forgave you you called him annoying.
Everyone else understands it. Why can't you just fucking swallow your ego and admit you were wrong, not of simply not knowing a name, but of being a pretentious cunt and jeering people for reasons you ended up being wrong.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
3. Who is your favorite author?
Nietzsche would have to be my favorite of all time. He's the only philosopher who makes me laugh (with him, not at him). I also love Raymond Chandler and Dashiell Hammet. And Catullus and Lucretius and Sallust and other Greek and Roman classical authors. Shakespeare is a no brainer, of course. William Gibson too. And Rilke's poetry is quite beautiful. My tastes, as you can see, are all over the place.
Good taste. Especially Hammet, Catullus, and Sallust.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:56 AM   #25
Black Inferno

Welcome to Gnet,Ash~
Black Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote