Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
borntolate

is there ever a wrong way to dress?

i have never posted here, but i would like to ask some questions, i hope you dont mind

i am having a identity crisis, i really dont care what people think, most of the time anyway. but sometimes i do, i am worried about being called a poser sometimes.

i know some people are called posers, your a poser if you wear a band t-shirt if you barley know who they are. or try to be goth just to be cool or fit in somewhere. did i get it right?

i dont, but i dont know where the lines go or what it really means?

but are you a poser if your not trying to be something (for ex goth) or fit in somewhere and are just inspired by it? or if your just dressing in it cause you like it so much you can't help it? and really dont care if your cool or
what people think?

i like so much different kinds of fashions styles and music

but some fashionstyles i dont know everyhting about the music associated with it though, maybe nothing in some cases.

is it for example wrong to:
mix different fashion styles?

to dress a style but aren't interesting in the music (or books, film or other interests)?

i dont know goth by any other way than from the internet.
i know there are different stereotypes of goth. it cant work like that in reality? but still.. can you dress cyber goth and listen to almost only old school goth for example?

i understand that you may not listen to only one kind of music all the time, after all we are all different, but you understand?

i dont want to dress only according to what i listen or am intersted in
theres so much pretty things to wear!!

isn't it more wrong to shop at H&M and all that crap if you hate it rather than goth or whatever, whether what you read, listen or am interested in?

i am interested in more than the fashion of course, a lot more, but i dont know where to begin. and i like so much out of everything in fashion.

i somethimes feel that i dont belong anywhere
but at the same time i am thinking that goth is just a lable (or whatever bad at english)
you can't lable a person. why should i dress in a way i dont like?
why should i care at all? im not running around screaming "look at me the biggest coolest goth of all". I just trying to be myself.

so: is there ever a wrong way to dress?

hmmm..yep a really long thread, i do care too much
borntolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
gothicusmaximus

You can't wear a brown belt with black shoes. Or vice versa.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
JCC

Looking at an Ed Hardy item of clothing and thinking "That's not so bad" is a crime punishable by death.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Greggles

dressing in shitty looking, dirty, ill fitting cloths or wearing any form of PJs in public could very well earn you a lashing. Or it should at least. Im all for being comfortable and practical but you can do that AND look good, its not that hard!
Greggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #5
ThenAgain

If it fits you and you want to wear it then go ahead.
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss

Pj's are great if you sleep in PVC or Latex. or some a satin set of bra and panties.
But seriously, look in the mirror and say "Would I be happy to see a picture of myself dressed this way?" Or, a potential mate in the future would you want them to see you this way?
Li'l Miss Sticky Kiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
honeythorn

Most clothing has little to do with a subculture ( goth or whatever you like to be into ) in which case, wear whatever you like as long as it fits you and suits your body shape. Mix things together if you honestly think they look nice.

If you are interested in a particular thing or many things , such as goth, punk or a type of other culture of some sort, then fine. Wear things that are assosciated with that as well as the occasion demands . Mix them in with your "ordinary" clothes if they go with them. I do.

There's nothing wrong with shopping at "popular" stores like H&M. I've had some great things from that store in particular, which fit perfectly fine with goth related fashion. Stores like that are often goldmines for things like lace tops or skirts for women, or menswear ( not sure what as I am a woman and thus have no reason to shop for menwear) or even just plain vest tops and t shirts that you could easily modify to suit your own tastes. H&M and Primark are both good places to get plain tops to modify if you do happen to be on a tight budget and can't afford offical band tops and the like.

If you're not interested in a culture or scene of some sort, then I would say don't wear things assosciated with it. If someone who IS into such things comes up and tries to interact and talk about things related to it, you'll make yourself look a bit of a cock by not knowing what they're on about.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
Neslyn

Yes, there are wrong ways to dress. And no the stereotype thing doesn't work all that well. I've never seen two goths who looked the same.

It seems like you're pretty new to the Gothic culture, but something to keep in mind is that most goths are extremely intelligent- if you're just trying to find your place in life no one's going to blink twice. A poser is someone who looks like a goth but knows absolutely nothing about being one and they generally don't want to learn. Often they're jerks trying to be something they know they're not. I don't believe you're in any danger of that.

As for the music, listen to what you like. You'll be introduced to other music over time.

Something else to consider is that most Goths don't dress the way that they do because they're trying to stand out. Goths dress because they love to be themselves in their individual and awesome outfits. Sometimes their outfits have trinkets that have sentimental meaning and sometimes they just liked the top hat. To each his own. ^_^
Neslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
SomeoneNamedEmily

I'd say that one of the things posers have in common is being a part of something (like, for example, goth) just because it's trendy or 'edgy," not being interested at all in actually learning about it, and yet still going around talking incessantly about how very, very goth they are.

I doubt anyone's going to call you a poser if you dress sort-of-but-not-really the way a lot of people think goths "should" dress, as long as you don't go around proclaiming how much more gothly you are than everyone else.

If it fits you and looks good, and wearing it makes you happy, by all means, wear it! Same with music. Listen to whatever you like the sound of (though you might want to think carefully before you advertise your love of insert-genre-here to people who will mock you for liking it, just like you might want to think carefully before showing up at a goth venue in head-to-toe Hollister.)

Last edited by SomeoneNamedEmily; 07-25-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Paragraph breaks make for easier reading.
SomeoneNamedEmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Hearts_Purple

Don't wear anything Cunty Love would wear.
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC View Post
Looking at an Ed Hardy item of clothing and thinking "That's not so bad" is a crime punishable by death.
I have Ed Hardy shoes thank you very much.

But seriously, If you like it, wear it. It shouldn't matter to other people if you like it.

Last edited by Storm; 07-26-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: I had a fail. -.-;
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Boh Selectah

as long as you don't look like complete rubbish i don't think there's a 'wrong' way to dress.

however, what peeves me off more than anything is seeing some little kindergoth running around in cheap, poorly applied makeup and ill-fitting "corsets". if you want to dress like you're from some vampire romance novel staged in the 1800s, coolio. but try not to fuck up the process of donning this apparel, as it makes you look like a pile of ass.

come to think of it, this goes for everything for me. make a statement- just don't make an ass of yourself doing it.
Boh Selectah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #13
Fruitbat

In the words of the wise Masters Apprentices:
"ooooo!!! do what you wanna do, be what you wanna be yeah"

I've never adhered to a label in my life. Labels are for Christmas presents, not for people.

Oh and never wear jeans to a wedding
Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote