Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
grauenacht

Hello Midnight

Hello, my name is Cline, I'm nineteen, and I am very excited to join this community. Well now, onto the questions, as I understand this is the preferred method of introduction.

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)

Currently I am a student and am unemployed. My hobbies are: reading, writing, drawing, philosophy, exploring spooky places, playing silent hill and watching horror movies.

2. Where are you from?

The uninspiring American south, more accurately Alabama.

3. Who is your favorite author?

My favorite authors would include: Fyodor Dostoevsky, Vladimir Nabokov, Marquis de Sade, and Howard Phillips Lovecraft. I also like a little bit of Poe, Dante Alighieri, and King.

4. What are your favorite films?

My favorite movies are: Nightmare Before Christmas (no amount of Hot Topic commercialization will make me denounce this film as my all time favorite movie), A Clockwork Orange, Eraserhead, May, Taxi Driver, Tetsuo: The Iron Man, The Warriors, Secretary, Falling Down, Pulp Fiction, Coffy, Spider Baby, Thriller: A Cruel Picture, Dead Alive, Last House on the Left, Suspiria, Spirited Away, and My Neighbor Totoro. My apologies for the long list.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?

Whatever the bride wants, I'm not too picky. Although I wouldn't mind some classical or something creepy.

6. At your funeral?

The song that plays when Aerith is killed in Final Fantasy VII.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?

Heroically and romantically. Preferably while protecting a loved one.

8. What kind of casket would you want?

Hmmm, I've never thought about it... how about one that will fly into the sky and explode into a cascade of rose petals... how does that sound?

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?

I like wearing my black sweater with black rolled up dress pants to show of my combat boots. Although, I'm saving up money to buy/make a new outfit that I imagine will look like a gothic school boy uniform with clockpunk influences.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?

Being scared all the time. I do enjoy frightful things.

11. What's your favorite band?

Cursive is my all time favorite (they toured with The Cure at Curiosa, so they have some small goth cred), but I am also a huge fan of Alkaline Trio, Murder by Death, The Cure, Nightwish, The Misfits, Smashing Pumpkins, The Damned, and Silent Hill soundtracks. I've been getting into more goth bands recently, such as: Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Flesh for Lulu, Christian Death, Gravemist, Emilie Autumn, as well as a few others (I'm also taking suggestions for other bands that I would like).

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?

I have completed high school and am currently a freshman in college. I wish to study creative writing and perhaps philosophy.

13. Why did you join?

Because I have always been drawn to the aesthetics of goth culture, and I am now beginning to see myself learning more about it so I can consider myself goth as well. I'm also hoping to find a local goth community in my area, and if one does not exist, I would like tips on how to start one or where I should be going to find such a community.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?

Male.

Well, that's that. I look forward to meeting people and having pleasant conversations and the like. Thank you very much.
grauenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
korinna5555

WELCOME!

If I ever go to college, it will be for creative writing.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
Delkaetre

Welcome to Gothic-dot-net. Interesting selections of answers, pretty varied tastes. I look forward to speaking with you on a few threads!
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
gothicusmaximus

I'm also a writing major considering a double in philosophy, and I adore Cursive as well. Sweet.

The idea of the FFVII score at a funeral is hilarious.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
d.Nox

You've got an impressive reading list, and your casket sounds beautifully Dali-esque. Welcome!
d.Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #6
Underwater Ophelia

Clockpunk?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #7
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Clockpunk never heard of it, we need a map of all the forms of punk sort of like the fetish map. Hmm you know actualy that isn't a bad idea, we should include all the subcultures that come from punk and their subgenres. Thanks for the inspiration. Welcome.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Stormtrooper of Death

The roadmap is where I step in. I know very obscure subgenres in the punk sphere. Power violence for example, it's like d-beat but it's not like it at the same time.
Stormtrooper of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Green.Lady

Best. Newb. Ever.

I'm guessing Clockpunk has something to do with a clothing style similar to that of The Adicts?

You have good taste (especially the whole part about liking The Cure). You also seem very interesting. I bet you'll like it here. The Sisters of Mercy are teh awsum, I'm quite glad you're getting into them! You will learn all you want to know here, so stick around!
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #10
Lolly PopMuzik

I see someone's been reading a certain sig...*grins* Have you seen the 3D version of TNBC yet or have you crossed into double digit phase of that already?
Lolly PopMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM   #11
grauenacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
I see someone's been reading a certain sig...*grins* Have you seen the 3D version of TNBC yet or have you crossed into double digit phase of that already?
I've only seen the 3D version twice (which is a shame), but one of the times I saw it I was the only one in the theater so I got to sing along. It was amazing.

Oh, and clockpunk is somewhat similar to steampunk (which is a particular fiction genre, not music. Wikipedia steampunk if you're not familiar) except clockwork powers everything instead of steam. Clockwork gears and automatons are two pieces of recurring imagery I often use in my poetry, lyrics, stories, etc. Also, the term "clockwork orange" from the book of the same name (obviously) is a metaphor for the idea that humans are an organic entity and when hindered by the nature of society, become as clockwork. This idea has also influenced me in several ways. Typically one who dresses in a clockpunk or steampunk style usually wears Renaissance or Victorian era garb, however I take a more literal approach to it and have little gear and cog shapes stitched into my clothes. I kind of rambled here, but I hope this clears up some confusion.

And thank all of you so much for the incredibly warm welcome, I'm looking forward to becoming more involved with this community.
grauenacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
PersephoneX

Tetsuo!
Welcome aboard...*puts brick back into her satchel*
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:19 AM   #13
disorder

When I first read the name of this thread I thought it said "Hello Midget."

Well, you can imagine my bitter disappointment when I discovered my mistake.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 AM   #14
PersephoneX

Ha ha ha! All hail the midget!
I cut myself to sleep
I close my eyes for a second
And curse my fragile soul
I scream to hide that I'm lonely
The echo calls my name

*ANIMAL CRACKERS*

http://www.myspace.com/persephone_x
PersephoneX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
delicti

Welcome to g-net.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #16
StasisInDarkness

Oh man...May AND Eraserhead?! These are, quite possibly, my two favorite movies, and yet so few people have heard of them...it's a shame, really.

I am rather impressed by you, my dear Cline...you seem like the sort of person g-net's been needing for quite some time.

As such, welcome indeed!
StasisInDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
††BlackRose††

Welcome to the boards!!!

Yes Dante is a genius. I am currently re-reading the Inferno. I like your tastes. I love The Sisters of Mercy.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 08:12 PM   #18
Rosie

Hello there.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote