Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
sadistically_romantic

Thumbs down The Strangers

Ok, went to see it the other night with a guy friend of mine and I LAUGHED MY ASS OFF!. The movie was borderline horrible. The only thing I liked about it was the mind game aspect. But other than that it was poorly written. Good plot, not much to work with. I think it was like 50 minutes top of nothing...I really wouldn't waste my time on it!
sadistically_romantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
lostintranslation

I went and saw it opening weekend, and I liked the concept quite a bit. There wasn't much to the cript besides screaming and sometimes begging, but I think that the film was relatively well done. It definitely scared me and made me jump in a few spots, which most movies normally don't. I liked the mind games aspect as well. But, the movie is basically a rip off of the movie Funny Games that came out in the US in January, if I remember correctly, only The Strangers involves masks. According to a review I recently read, the movie has also taken many chapters from the French film Them. The originality of the movie is lacking, but it's a marginal film all in all I'd say. I got a good laugh and a good few scares, but the movie really leaves you with nothing. I was also very unimpressed by the "true events" the movie is based on.
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Rorschach Twin

The events most movies are based off is usually used scarcely, and liberally, to say the least. Look at The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. It was based on Ed Gein... a man that had nothing to do with a chainsaw.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Yukiko_San

Yes, I'm not surprised. I saw Shutter, horrid and same with Distrubia. Where did all the good and scary movies go?
Yukiko_San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
weiwei

Talking Stockholm, 1912

Stockholm, 1912, wow gold Games of the V wow power leveling

Olympiad. wow power leveling Oscar SWAHN of Sweden aim his gun wow powerlevelingduring a running deer shooting World of Warcraft gold competition.weiwei1978123
weiwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko_San
Yes, I'm not surprised. I saw Shutter, horrid and same with Distrubia. Where did all the good and scary movies go?
I agree, I remember when Friday the 13th sequals and Chuckie were alternating in theatures, what happened to that?... wait... do we really want that?

I mean, Nightmare on Elms St. was a great horror movie. Scream pretty much marked the end of the era where Horror movies were good. I think we need to just wait for more Tim Burtons to rise and a steady flow of Corpse Brides and other macabre movies can really develop into good, to even great, films.

I want to get a petition going for a JTHM animated-movie, sans Johnny Depp, becuase if it ever does hit theatures you know Tim Burton is the only director that would be any good producing it, and he has this thing for Johnny Depp...
Toy Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Killer
I think we need to just wait for more Tim Burtons
Actually, one grossly overrated filmmaker worshipped by pasty teenage girls with $30 Hot Topic fishnets pulled over their cankles is enough for me.
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Toy Killer

Tim Burton is revered because he is the only one in that style. Imagine if there was only one band playing music on the radio, sure you'd get real sick of them real fast, but the only way to eliviate that is for more artist to rise with similar asperations.

Burton is the only real film maker that touches disturbing imagery without going full on slasher film. And, over-rated or not, he is good at what he does. It doesn't mean I'm running around screaming 'The Crow sucked! It wasn't even directed by Tim Burton' but until more filmakers take to that undefined genre, it won't get better.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Burton is the only real film maker that touches disturbing imagery without going full on slasher film.
This statement makes me wonder if you've seen more than two movies in your life. You're saying there are three kinds of films-- completely sacchrine movies that in no way unsettle the viewer, low-brow gore-fests, and Tim Burton movies? I can't even imagine how you might attempt to defend that contention. Did you mean "Tim Burton is the only real filmmaker who recycles the same gloomy, 'goffick' aesthetic ad nauseum and consistently favors 'macabre' atmosphere over real drama"? In that case, I think you're right. I don't know why you're shitting on slashers and asserting that Tim Burton is the man who must 'save' horror, as Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, and Scream were all far better movies, and did more for their genre, than Sleepy Hollow, Burton's only real horror effort.

Quote:
Until more filmakers take to that undefined genre, it won't get better.
What undefined genre? The Crow was a super-hero action movie. I feel as if you're operating under the premise that 'featured on a T-Shirt available at Spencer's Gifts' is a genre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukiko San
Where did all the good and scary movies go?
They still exist, you just won't find them if you look among shlock targeted at teenagers who only value movies as a means of getting some. Guillermo Del Toro recently brought us Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone, both great supernatural thrillers. The Orphanage was good, though I forgot whose that was. Teeth, which was advertised on gnet for quite some time, and Ginger Snaps, are great horror movies with thematic similarities. Also look into The Descent, Let the Right One In, Slither, Shadow of the Vampire, Audition if you're possessed of considerable intestinal fortitude, 28 Days Later, and Dog Soldiers, all of which were released in this decade.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Toy Killer

Tim Burton has his own style of movies that I like. I Never said he was the only director, or said that he was horror's only hope. I have grown in and out of my slasherfest days and now, I'm content with 20 year old zombie movies. I would call the majority, if not entirity of Tim Burtons movie Horror, simply becuase saying Drama doesn't quite cover it. I like his work, and I haven't the oppurtunity, let alone the desire, to step into a Hot Topic or Spencer's gifts in almost 11 months.

I'm perfectly able to make my own decisions, thank you.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:08 PM   #11
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Tim Burton has his own style of movies that I like. I Never said he was the only director, or said that he was horror's only hope.
Yes, you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Scream pretty much marked the end of the era where Horror movies were good. I think we need to just wait for more Tim Burtons to rise
Quote:
Originally Posted by You, again
Burton is the only real film maker that touches disturbing imagery without going full on slasher film.
Quote:
I would call the majority, if not entirity of Tim Burtons movie Horror, simply becuase saying Drama doesn't quite cover it.
Sure, dude. Batman, Batman Returns, Big Fish, 2001's Planet of the Apes, and Ed Wood are all horror.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Toy Killer

Okay, alright, Planet of the apes and Ed Wood are not horror.

But when you bring up 'Tim Burton' their mind do not immediately think of Batman, they think Edward Scissor Hands, they think Series of Unfortunate Events, They think Sweeny Todd, they think any one of the three Claymation movies he made. Those are Tim Burton Movies. I will even put Big Fish as a quintessential Tim Burton, as it does have a very very Tim Burton style to it. These aren't really dramas (although that is the closest Genre to it) So a Horror Drama will have to suffice, although it is neither and both.

And when I said 'we need more Tim Burtons to rise', I was using Tim Burton as an Example, as he was most prominate, not unique. Not to mention that I said this genre of movie needed to 'devolp into good, or even great', and said that other directors needed to rise in his field to surpass him, not immulate him.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:49 PM   #13
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Okay, alright, Planet of the apes and Ed Wood are not horror.

But when you bring up 'Tim Burton' their mind do not immediately think of Batman, they think Edward Scissor Hands, they think Series of Unfortunate Events, They think Sweeny Todd, they think any one of the three Claymation movies he made. Those are Tim Burton Movies. I will even put Big Fish as a quintessential Tim Burton, as it does have a very very Tim Burton style to it. These aren't really dramas (although that is the closest Genre to it) So a Horror Drama will have to suffice, although it is neither and both.
Tim Burton didn't direct the Series of Unfortunate Events movie. I'm pretty sure he only did two stop-motion animation movies too.

I don't think you know very much about what we're discussing. I don't think you even know what a horror movie is. You shouldn't discuss things about which you don't know anything.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
TheBloodEternity

I actually quite like a few of Tim Burton's movies, but he certainly isn't the only director out there or the only one to do anything in that style, just the most publicized.

Yeah I think he only did two stop-motions and they were both god-awful.
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
KontanKarite

Requiem For A Dream. Scariest fucking movie I'd ever seen.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
TheBloodEternity

I want to see that movie.........

I haven't seen very many movies at all =(
Old 06-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #17
KontanKarite

I will never watch again, alone, or with company. No sir. Fuckuhbunchothat.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #18
TheBloodEternity

Sounds like something that would be extremely enjoyable watching but you regret later that night...
Old 06-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #19
Toy Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
I actually quite like a few of Tim Burton's movies, but he certainly isn't the only director out there or the only one to do anything in that style, just the most publicized.

Yeah I think he only did two stop-motions and they were both god-awful.
He did three, James and the Giant peach, Nightmare before Christmas, and Corpse Bride.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:02 PM   #20
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
He did three, James and the Giant peach, Nightmare before Christmas, and Corpse Bride.
He only produced JATGP, he didn't direct it.
That movie did disturb me as a child, though.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:04 PM   #21
TheBloodEternity

Hmm, I forgot about James and the Giant Peach. I was quite fond of that movie when I was little.

He didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas either. JatGP and that one were both directed by Henry Selick, iirc.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:17 PM   #22
KontanKarite

You know who makes a good "horror" director? The guy that did "Pan's Labyrinth".

Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #23
TheBloodEternity

Pan's Labyrinth was an amazing movie, but I have yet to see anything else by him. Guillermo del Toro is his name btw.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #24
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Hmm, I forgot about James and the Giant Peach. I was quite fond of that movie when I was little.

He didn't direct Nightmare Before Christmas either. JatGP and that one were both directed by Henry Selick, iirc.
That's interesting, I always thought of The Nightmare Before Christmas as Burton's pet project.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #25
TheBloodEternity

Yeah I know, that's pretty much the only reason I remembered Henry Selick, because I was surprised when I found out.
There was so much hype around that movie I finally decided to check it out. I couldn't stand it.