Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Emerald

Question 80's Goths

I entered the scene around 1986 so am I the only relic of the 80's scene here, just wondering who else was out there who was "Goth" in the 80's?
Emerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
Sanctusdei

Sorry.... round 1992 fer me. But I remebmer the 80's rather well!
Sanctusdei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:22 PM   #3
Emerald

Same year as my Husband ....although I must say I have never considered myself to be in the "goth scene"..I was in the Techno/Club scene for a number of years by way of what clubs I went to and my partner at the time being a DJ but at the same time I preferred darker sounds and still listened to all the older "Goth" bands as well. I wish I had some pictures of myself from the 80's but my Mum just refused to photograph me back then.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
Phayte

This is kind of off topic, but I have an 80s themed party to go to on Saturday and I had planned on doing the punk look for it since best costume gets a prize.
I plan on doing a mohawk and the blue eyeshadow thing, but I'm stumped from there. Any tips?
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Emerald

If you have the patience to apply the makeup you could do a Steve Strange look, lthough it's not really punk....my makeup in the 80's was generally lots of eyeliner, strips of purple blusher, purple lipstick and smudges of Purple/Black makeup around the eyes (think specimen meets virgin prunes meets siouxsie sioux). With a Mohawk you could look at some of the "New Wave" styles of makeup...that is probably not the correct description for the look, but the blocks of colour across the eyes look....if that makes sense.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:14 PM   #6
Emerald

Oh really... yeah good year that one *lol*...I was born in 1972..yes I am old (er than you )

Phayte - With a Mohawk...perfect 80's look - Andi SexGang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J68axxuv-N0
Old 06-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Emerald

or browse through the pictures on here for some inspiration

http://www.newwavephotos.com/

Xnguela - sorry I must have been posting at the same time as you, you sound like me I always got along much better with people older than myself up until probably my late 20's early 30's. Nice to meet you by the way
Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #8
Phayte

Thanks

I have the tight pants, wristbands/gloves, going to buy safety pins and I have four colors of liquid eyeliner (including blue). Do you think my spiked collar would work for the look?
~William Shakespeare
Phayte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #9
Emerald

well I suppose it would depend on how "pure" you wanted to do the 80's look...I personally don't remember seeing people wearing studded collars back then, I think that came in more in the 90's....but if you're just going for the general effect, yes why the hell not...whatever you feel looks right
Old 06-08-2006, 05:53 PM   #10
spookypurple

I remember being the only New Romantic in the village.... Unless you counted the sheep before shearing time...

I started listening to Sisters of Mercy, The Mission and The Cure back in the early(ish) 80s. It used to cheer me up no end.

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #11
Emerald

I was the only Goth in my school at the time...we had to wear school uniforms but on casual day I would turn up in my Gothic regalia and spend the entire day being followed by hoardes of fellow students chanting freak and thrusting crucifix signs in my face (amongst the "nicer" taunts and actions). Sisters of Mercy, The Mission and The Cure are all brilliant bands as well, yes I remember wiling away many an hour listening to such bands
Old 06-08-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
TheKorovaMilkbar

Wow. I commend you on being one of the originals. I'm only 21 so I've only managed to be the scene from the late 90's. But I have a friend who's 31 and he was one of the few and proud back then, too.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #13
Emerald

Thank you for that lovely comment, but I make no such claim or assumption to be one of the "originals". Actually unless your name is something along the lines of oh let's say Andi Sexgang nobody can claim the title of Original Goth....but that's just my opinion of course
Old 06-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
Falken

How Falken survived the 80's

What brought me into the scene?

"Cars" by Gary Numan in '79. Up until that point I thought being teenaged and rebellious meant listening to rock and roll from Bad Company or Billy Joel. Gary Numan changed all that and I became a devout New Waver, quickly discovering bands like Kraftwerk and Japan (the band Duran Duran wished they could be) on my local college radio station in New Orleans, WTUL.

Then came eMpTV in '81, whose videos at first were mostly New Wave, Goth, Punk or Techno. That just deepened my love for progressive music and led me to listen to early New Romantics like Peter Godwin's "Images of Heaven", Goth like Sisters of Mercy's "Black Planet" and finally seeing one one of my all-time favorite bands, Kraftwerk (most of their videos though actually didn't show the band members... I think they've always believed the music was more important than having your face shown).

Soon though, corporations caught on to the video music phenomenon and eMpTV shoved most of their alternative artist videos into a program called 120 Minutes. I think I watched it religiously every week... more times than I've ever been to church...

Anywho, that's my 80's "experience" and how I became the twisted musical freak I am today...

Last edited by Falken; 06-08-2006 at 08:39 PM. Reason: the voices... make them stop!
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
TheKorovaMilkbar

Well, I refer to you as original, because you went into it back when very few did. It wasn't really just the popular thing to do back then, it was more a matter of just being who you were. Nowadays, angsty teenagers dress up in black and call themselves goth (also claiming half of the time to worship Satan). It's pathetic, but the number grows. So we have to weed out who are the real ones that were born with this state of mind, and who are just the impersonating morons.

You basically are an original, because you helped fuel a young idea for others like you, that would soon follow in later years.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #16
TheKorovaMilkbar

Falken, you would love Gary Numan's new album "Jagged". It's really great, with a dark mellow metal sound. I'll PM you with more details if you'd like to hear it.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #17
maggot

*stares at Korova*

Is the Skyler just an angsty teen?
Old 06-08-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
Emerald

Falken - A pleasure to meet you. I would have loved to have been old enough to have entered into the "scene",for want of a better term, when you did. Gary Numan, Japan and others you mentioned are definitely counted amongst my favourite musical artists.

TheKorovaMilkbar - Thank you
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 AM   #19
Falken

KorovaMilkbar - sure, please do send me the details on the new Numan song.

Emerald - well I just feel lucky to have been at the age where I could see such bands live as Shriekback ("Oil and Gold" tour), Jesus and Mary Chain (? not sure), Lords of the New Church (their "We're free from f**king I.R.S. Records tour"... not the real tour name, but how they felt), UB40 ("Labour of Love" tour), Siouxsie and the Banshees ("Tinderbox" tour), The Cramps ("Stay Sick" tour), Simple Minds ("New Gold Dream" tour)...

I've seen plenty more... The Meat Puppets and Clan of Xymox come to mind at the moment... but I'm unusually sleepy for 4 am in the morning and my brain is starting to fade on me... difficult to think of all who I've been fortunate to have seen.

I do know my greatest regrets are not having seen Kraftwerk, Japan, The Clash or The Ramones live. I still have a chance at perhaps seeing Kraftwerk.. they've recently come out of their "hibernation"... but the others won't be together again or in their original lineups.

I made the mistake once of going to see TSOL without their original singer and vowed never to see a band again without their original lineup.
Falken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 AM   #20
Demonista_Ravenesque

I am the MOON!

I've stood pale in the dark for millions of years, I was goth before it even started

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:18 AM   #21
Nardol

1986? I remember when an '86 was a new car.

Anyone here remember when the Violent Femmes first started getting radio air time?
Nardol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 04:50 AM   #22
Sanctus Dei

My first experiences with goth happened around 93'.. Dark clothes, trench coats, silly Manson albums... I got progressively worse for 3 years, then I met my music idol, John Lentz. After I learned of Soliel Moon Records, Boyd Rice, David Sylvian, Projekt, Cold Meat, Hate Dept., Current 93, etc... It changed me forever. I don't listen to alot of the typical Goth labeled music, say the Cure for instance... musical speaking they bore the shit outta me, and the lyrics... blah. But I can understand the attraction, I'd just prefer Pain Teens or Legendary Pink Dots...
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:24 AM   #23
Emerald

Falken - I must confess I am extremely jealous, so many fantastic bands and performance experiences you must have witnessed. I can only imagine what it would have been like to see those bands play live. Unfortunately the city of Adelaide tends to be one of those places a lot of bands tend to overlook so I haven't always had the opportunity to see bands I would have liked to see. I have seen The Cure, Morrissey and The Damned. I got to meet most of The Damned (minus Rat Scabies, he went back to the hotel) after the show, definitely a highlight of my teen years. Dave Vanian is just so charming, very welcoming, made me feel really comfortable and not at all like I was talking to some "star"
Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 AM   #24
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonista_Ravenesque
I am the MOON!

I've stood pale in the dark for millions of years, I was goth before it even started
that is a very witty (and quite literary) reply...thanks for the smile with that one
Old 06-09-2006, 06:32 AM   #25
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardol
1986? I remember when an '86 was a new car.

Anyone here remember when the Violent Femmes first started getting radio air time?
Ahh yes The Violent Femmes....I first remember listening to them with a school friend in about 1984/85. I think they were being played on the radio, or at least non commercial stations, at the time but I'm not a 100 percent sure. And sorry was the "86" a reference to having a new model "1986" car at the time, you'll have to excuse my poor grasp of descriptive english at the moment I have not had much sleep, but yes it does seem a little funny today to look back at things such as the cars that were the latest design at the time and think how "old" they look to us today