Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Catch

Henricus Cornelius Agrippa von Nettesheim

He wrote the "Three Books of the Occult." I have a translated version by James Freake. I keep thinking about reading it and don't.

It seems like a really powerful book. I don't know if you believe in the metaphysical world, but I was driving to the bookstore and already getting in structions on where to find it. Seriously, not even in the building, follow your way back to the otherside of the bookstore and look on the third self from the bottom. It is in black and white. You cannot miss it. Now I look at it and it seems to glow, but I never read it.

The book is based off of Christian based magic or "White" magic. That's what I read about it. Does anyone else have this problem with books. Seeming to say, "Pick me, pick me." Then when you've got them home their just there.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
Wednesday Friday Addams

Wednesday attempts to cast magic missile.
She rolls a 15 adds int modifier of +5 and racial modifier of +3
OP attempts a will save rolls a 6 and fails.
Magic missile deals 3d6 damage.
OP takes 13 points of damage.
Wednesday Friday Addams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch
He wrote the "Three Books of the Occult." I have a translated version by James Freake. I keep thinking about reading it and don't.

Does anyone else have this problem with books. Seeming to say, "Pick me, pick me." Then when you've got them home they're just there.
If a book jumps out at me, I assume the Universe is trying to tell me something. Read the book. Unless you've got a door that won't stay open or a crooked table *chuckle* and the Universe sent it to you for a prop.

A few years ago I was browsing in a used bookstore and Crowley's book, "Magick in Theory and Practice" fell on my foot. LOL. I read it, wasn't that impressed. Maybe it'd be good for holding the window open.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:12 PM   #4
Catch

That was just inspirational.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
Rorschach Twin

No, I don't have that problem. I don't personify books.
Rorschach Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:17 AM   #6
Man In Room 5

If you have the James Freake translation and it has a black and white cover as you describe then you must have the Llewellyn edition edited by Don Tyson. Llewellyn published a lot of crap books in the last couple decades--but this isn't one of them. If you're into the occult then Agrippa is a must have and the Tyson edition is the best. Besides, it's the only recent edition and therefore it's the only edition anyone can afford, unless you're wildly rich.

I read it in August of 2004 while researching something I wanted to write. I made a lot of notes in the margins and took several pages of notes in my writing notebook. I even briefly considered witting a commentary to it. Other commentaries have already been published and you might want to try to find Commentaries on The Occult Philosophy of Agrippa by W. Schrödter. I had a copy on hand while reading Agrippa but to be honest I hardly consulted it.

I'm not even going to touch the argument of whether or not the magic in this book works. I'll just say that I was reading it mainly for historical reasons. I wanted to know the history of the occult, regardless of if it actually works or not. The problem is that Agrippa doesn't really tell you anything new. Everything in Three Books Of Occult Philosophy is taken from older published works. Agrippa invented nothing new and acted only as a compiler. He collected material from countless older books and sometimes he wasn't very accurate. (So, those people who think Agrippa's book is some really unique, educated and magically "powerful" book are usually the ones who haven't really read it.)

Don Tyson has done an excellent job of clarifying the more obscure stuff and Tyson's footnotes, appendixes, biographical dictionary and Biblical index are virtually required to make sense out of much of Agrippa's text. Tyson's appendix on Magic Squares is the best thing I've ever seen on the subject. A good general background in earlier occult literature would be a great head start before trying to tackle Agrippa. I'd especially suggest The Art Of Memory and Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition, both by Frances Yates. The "Christian" magic in Agrippa is really just a Christian version of the older astral magic, which is based on a very deep working of astrology. Agrippa's work is often wrongly called a primer in magic but that's hardly the case. A primer is an introduction meant for an outsider and Three Books of Occult Philosophy is hardly for beginners. It's more like a summary or a recap for the experienced reader.

That's the long, complex, pretentious answer. Now, the short answer would be that if you're looking to flip open this book and work some really cool occult magic and get instant results give it up. If you want to take your time, make notes and consult other resources as you read it then it becomes very educational...but I'm still not vouching that any of it "works".
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:00 PM   #7
Catch

Yes it is the Tyson version. I got past the introduction and summarized it. The real introduction could be it's own book.

Agrippa Intro
http://www.printnpost.com/articles/5...535/Page1.html
Old 05-25-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Man In Room 5

Are you really going to read Three Books of Occult Philosophy from start to finish? If you are, I'll look over my notes and see if there's anything interesting that might illuminate it a little more. If I find anything of value I'll type it up and pass it on to you. Like I said, a good understanding of astral magic would really help. I don't know of any web pages that explain it correctly but I haven't really looked either. I find it interesting but not interesting enough to really follow up on recently. The books I mentioned would help a lot too but I understand if you don't want to read 2 other books before getting to Agrippa's actual text. As I've said, I've thought about writing an introduction to astral magic or a commentary on Agrippa myself but I know it would bloom into a full sized book and I just don't have time for that right now. Maybe I'll look over the other stuff I've written too and see if any of it touches on Agrippa or any of his subjects. If I find anything I'll share it.
Man In Room 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Tin_Lizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man In Room 5
A good general background in earlier occult literature would be a great head start before trying to tackle Agrippa. I'd especially suggest The Art Of Memory and Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition, both by Frances Yates.
Thanks for this recommendation, I've been looking for a few historical studies on this era. I'm actually more interested in Dr. Dee than Agrippa. I'm thinking of reading Dee's books on Enochian magic. I don't practice, I'm only interested in medieval heretical religions. Kind of a hobby.
Tin_Lizzie is offline   Reply With Quote