Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 10-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
lied

Belly Dance

I'd like to know from people here what do they think about gothic belly dance...
How did you start, how do you practice, dance groups you know, artists you admire, etc.

I've been studying belly dance for some time now and wanna go to the goth side of the force in this matter too.

(I'm sorry if there's a thread on this subject already, I couldnt find it.)
lied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
MollyMac

I have done ATS and Gothic/Yogic fusion for a while here in St. Louis. I prefer teh styles of Rachel brice, Ariellah, Zoe Jakes and Mardi Love- but I add a few more elevation kinetics, jumps and leaps in with teh slink
Old 10-21-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Fae-wolf

I just recently heard of it and I love it.

I'm into middle eastern dancing and I found out about it. It made my day.

I told my teacher about it, she said "It sounds like their going to be into more the tribal things...." Sure enough, she was right
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
MollyMac

Yup. Check out Ariellah, she's more "Goth" than most, very elegant moves. Very digable
Old 10-21-2008, 08:40 PM   #5
TheBloodEternity

I really, really want to learn how to belly dance.

"Lucifer was an idiot, it wound up lord and master of nothing at all."
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 PM   #6
MollyMac

If you can;t get to class, try the DVDs by Sharon Kihara, Rachel Brice, and Sera- they are Tribal style basics with Yoga. A good 101.

For more traditional, try Suhalia Salimpour, Jasmin Jahal, Jillina, and Ansuya.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Cicero

I learnt a bit of belly dance years ago because my sister is really into it and I absolutely loved it. I still incorporate a lot of what I learnt into my 'club dancing'. I've also got a whole lot of belly dancing belts and necklaces in my jewellery collection. Gorgeous stuff.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 AM   #8
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicero
I still incorporate a lot of what I learnt into my 'club dancing'.
Ah, what she said. I took a class this past summer and it was a lot of fun.

My take:

At the club, as long as there's no act involved, I'm not bugged about it.

What's not so fun is how belly-dancing, an ancient art and tradition, became the newest goth trend especially when it tends to get more support that should being going towards shows or anything not club related.

I also have beef with it being called "goth bellydancing," it not only feels like a lot of them only participate as long as it's got "goth" in there and turn their nose up at the original styles but also lacking in diversity as well. Not trying to knock you, ma'am, but that's just my 2 pennies.

But one question: Any involvement with regular/traditional bellydancing troupes?
Old 10-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #9
Fae-wolf

I'm in a regular belly dancing class.
We learn just the basic moves. My teacher is from lebanon.

I pretty much figured out that Gothic bellydancing is just a mixture of Tribal and Egyptian bellydancing elements.
It's still pretty good. However, one my classmates says it's a bit harder to learn since the movements are alot slower.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #10
lied

Nice to hear from you girls!

For now I'm still dancing the traditional belly dance style... but I really intend to move on fusion and tribal once I feel I in control of all my movements.

And yeah, the 'goth' term reffers to the mix of styles and visual elements...
I used the term here, knowing whats involved and relating to what we have here in the forum.

Anyway, I really like The Indigo girls too.

MollyMac, any tips about how and when to start on tribal?
lied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #11
MollyMac

The moves in "Goth" or Tribal fusion are harder- they are slow and with a lot of tics. Creepy and robotic in turns. You cannot fake an undulation slow the way you can fake a 3/4 shimmy fast.

Starting tribal? Yoga. It gives you the strength and flexibility. Th eRachel Brice videos are good- there is not a lot of "dance" but she gives the foundation for rolls, undulations, side winders...

Check You-Tube- there's some excerpts there.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
Fae-wolf

thanks for the advice molly mac
Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 AM   #13
shogem

Gothic belly dance is an offshoot of tribal, if I remember correctly. I've always wanted to take a workshop in it, but for now I'm taking ATS (American Tribal Style) and fusion classes. I admire my teachers most. They're amazing and dedicated and always have new things to teach.

Traditional forms of the dance, such as Egyptian or Turkish are amazing and influenced so much of what's offered today in the US in regards to diversity in dance.

My advice? Do some research on what you'd like to learn. Gothic belly dance tends to be taught in workshops (from my knowledge, and there are several gothic belly dancers in the SF bay area where I live), so I would suggest looking into a teacher whose style meets your sensibilities when a workshop isn't available. A lot of belly dance teachers use yoga stretches to warm up/cool down in classes, so yoga is always good to take if you want to keep yourself flexible and those muscles moving. I don't know what else to say... so, good luck and have fun!
shogem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:50 PM   #14
Jaye Jang

This is a place where you can get the costumes. The group here (Nejwah) has a website and a belly dancing school.

http://www.bellydance-shop.com/?gcli...FRNOagodp06j2w
Jaye Jang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:44 AM   #15
PortraitOfSanity

Does anyone else see the irony of a practice of a sexist religion being adopted by a supposedly left-wing subculture?

Edit: This is not an anti-Muslim statement, because I know someone's gonna say that. Just a thought.
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:52 AM   #16
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitOfSanity
Does anyone else see the irony of a practice of a sexist religion being adopted by a supposedly left-wing subculture?

Edit: This is not an anti-Muslim statement, because I know someone's gonna say that. Just a thought.
Pretty much symbolizes the left-wing nowadays - celebrating the diversity of other cultures while vehemently excusing the nasty parts seems, for some odd reason, to be a staple for many of its adherents. The number of bleeding heart liberals I've heard excusing practices such as the stoning of wayward women under the heading of cultural tolerance is literally unbelievable.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #17
MollyMac

Belly dance is not part of a religion, not Muslim, at any rate. It is historically a fertility dance danced for the male or his mother to prove the dancer/woman's fertility and child-bearing strength as well as sexual prowess. Raqs Sharki and the dansers orientale are shunned by the fundamentalists, seen as little better than prostitutes in some areas.

It came to the US in 1896 at the Chicago world's fair, in a watered down version, suitable for western eyes
Old 11-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
Jaye Jang

There is also a Scottish version of belly dancing ('fully' costumed and actually quite graceful), since the bagpipes originally came from the middle east, and were adopted (or according to my Scottish friends, 'improved upon') by the Scots, Northumbrians, etc.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #19
MollyMac

Bwuh hah haaaaaa... Awesome. I will have to check into that. I dance to pipes all the time for belly and Highland

I do Scottish Competitive Highland Dance as well- I am working on a fusion of the impact of Highland and the serpentine moves for "Odessa Bulgar" this weekend.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #20
Jaye Jang

Molly, then you'll like this. (Sorry about the bad vid. Best I could find). This is The Wicked Tinkers playing 'Awel Mara'.

Usually they have a dancer who does this in the 'Scottish style' which is with an ankle length white gown, and a tartan plaidy. It is actually quite beautiful to watch. She was not there on this one, however.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OC_HcAo5gf8
Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
raggedyanne

At the moment I'm taking regular belly dance classes because of my knee, but I have studied a bit of tribal fusion and I live not too far away from where Rachel Brice is based, so I might take some classes from her. Mardi Love is very fun to watch, as is Ariellah. There is no such thing as gothic belly dance. There is only tribal fusion done by goths to different music.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #22
MollyMac

I *heart* the Tinkers- I use their work all the time in class. And Tartanic and the Red Hot Chilli Pipers and Michael Grey...
Old 11-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #23
raggedyanne

Lolz, all good stuff. I have been listening to Juno Reactor and Bel Canto for dance music.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #24
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedyanne
Juno Reactor=bellydance music
NOOOOOOOOOOOO. Look, this is NOWHERE near my thing but try Dalis Car, Danielle Dax, Pete Murphy's Dust and maybe Lycia. Just no more God Is God goth bellydancing videos on YT.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:00 AM   #25
Bat Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lied
I'd like to know from people here what do they think about gothic belly dance...
Personally I dislike it, I find it rather tacky and distasteful.
Bat Attack is offline   Reply With Quote