Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:27 AM   #51
Corpsey

What? What's so boring about feeding people to Lions? Prophesys about a man named Cyrus diverging waters to destroy the strongest nation of that time in a night? People being thrown into a fire and living to tell the tale? Describing how Alexander the Great would exist and his empire would be divided into four? What more do you want for entertainment's sake?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #52
Drake Dun

That is great.
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:32 AM   #53
Corpsey

Sure is. There's more exciting things to the Bible but those are the ones that stand out for me.

In fact, the whole book of Daniel is glorious.

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 AM   #54
Sir Canvas Corpsey

I'm gonna go with Corpsey, the Bible is pretty interesting, especially when you get down to nitty-gritty translations and comparing interpretations.

While it's OT, not NT, 'Psalms' is bloody amazing, and 'Ruth' is hilariously naughty.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #55
Sinjob

The Bible is an amazing piece of written work...as literature. The source of misconception came from people taking the stories as actual events and from there taking everything else in it too seriously.
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #56
Drake Dun

I actually meant that the original post was great. I should have quoted it.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #57
Saya

They should make a movie of that guy who had to sacrifice his daughter to God after he helped him slaughter his foes. The part where she bewails her virginity can be a montage.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:45 AM   #58
Corpsey

That's the one part of the Bible where I'm certain something else was going on outside the picture. I'm sure God doesn't glorify human sacrifices.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #59
Saya

According to Judges though Jephthah went through with it. The story of a father sacrificing the first thing that greets him when he arrives home, and it ending up being a child has been seen in other stories, I'm just not sure if this is the very first one. I know I've seen it a bunch of times but the only one that I can name off the top of my head right now is Beauty And The Beast, and that more than likely hasn't been around before the Old Testament XD
Old 06-18-2009, 07:11 AM   #60
Corpsey

Yeah, that's the story I know. It still confuses me to some end, however as God didn't step in and stop it whereas he stopped people from doing similar acts in the OT.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:55 AM   #61
Beneath the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
The folks you pointed out are -not- the majority, but rather the exception.
No, they're not the majority, but they are supported by the majority. And that's why I think that the majority of Christians aren't really Christian.

There is a small percentage of Christians who are truly good people, and I respect those people. I used to live with a Christian couple who would gladly go out of their way to help me and my then-girlfriend, and to make us happy, in spite of the fact that we were open about our neo-pagan faiths, just for the sake of making of helping us and making us happy. Helping us (and, of course, others) and making us happy made them happy. And we loved them for that. They are the ones who I compare all other Christians to, and I've yet to find a single one who could hold a match up to them. Some have come close, some try as hard as they can, but the most of the "Christians" I've met quite simply fall short by far.

last.fm

Help my MiniCity grow
Help my MiniCity's industry
Beneath the Shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM   #62
Tam Li Hua

Beneath the Shadows: Sadly, I have to agree; most "Christians" these days just don't seem to care as much as they should. [I'm including myself in that.]

I'm glad you found good people to help you. ^_^
Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #63
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia View Post
"Just as crazy?"
WTF?

We aren't the ones who worship a supposed zombie.
Let me clarify: There are folks in every kind of religious and non-religious group who are psychologically and emotionally unwell. One doesn't need a belief system in order to be clinically insane.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #64
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua View Post
GRAR
Tam, shouldn't you sit down when it comes to these topics? You should know by now that your faith will always stir up debate around here, especially with those who are much quicker on the intellectual draw, and that the debate is almost never in favor of your religion.

Besides, it's a damn funny and easy to relate to example of religion.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #65
Drake Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corpsey View Post
That's the one part of the Bible where I'm certain something else was going on outside the picture. I'm sure God doesn't glorify human sacrifices.
The CENTRAL STORY of Christianity is that of a human sacrifice, dude.

Anyway, we are talking about a god who cheerfully murders people, children, animals, anything you please, personally, again, and again, and again, in between random demands for his minions do likewise. It's not like a human sacrifice would be out of his character.

Maybe I'll go look up those alleged prophecies today, but after you check out enough of these things (from various religions), a certain pattern starts to emerge...

Last edited by Drake Dun; 06-18-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added random anti-Christian ranting.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:56 AM   #66
Corpsey

I was talking about the "Sacrifice a person through flame and oil" sacrifice versus the "Living your life to please God" sacrifice.

Indeed, there is a ridiculous amount of practices throughout modern day Christianity that can be linked back to Babylon the Great. Hence why I said I liked the second movie before there was the "Tom Cruise Remake". The differences between 1st century Christianity and Modern day Christianity is horrid.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:58 AM   #67
Still Jack

Quote:
What? What's so boring about feeding people to Lions? Prophesys about a man named Cyrus diverging waters to destroy the strongest nation of that time in a night? People being thrown into a fire and living to tell the tale? Describing how Alexander the Great would exist and his empire would be divided into four? What more do you want for entertainment's sake?
I'm just pissed off that I didn't get to do any of that. : P
Still Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 01:28 AM   #68
Drake Dun

Quote:
I was talking about the "Sacrifice a person through flame and oil" sacrifice versus the "Living your life to please God" sacrifice.
I was talking about the Ultimate Cosmic Scapegoat. You know, Jesus?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #69
Mike Rose

A little pieces of advice in this dicussion from me, as I see it.

The one who respect and accept others rights is the one reach the top.

Wouldn't anyone want to be respected for what they believe is right?

Mike Rose
Mike Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:01 AM   #70
Anarasha

Hahaha xD That made my day, thanks! XD
Anarasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #71
Mike Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarasha View Post
Hahaha xD That made my day, thanks! XD
Your welcome.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #72
Still Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rose View Post
Wouldn't anyone want to be respected for what they believe is right?
No. I believe what I feel is right and if people don't respect that, fuck them...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:39 PM   #73
Mike Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Jack View Post
No. I believe what I feel is right and if people don't respect that, fuck them...
I agree with you that those who don't respect you are not worth your time, but wouldn't it be nice if you could avoid being called freak and things like that by the mere sight? Or by your comment?
I believe in treating others with respect, but those that don't do that about me, they are just not worth my time.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #74
Still Jack

People can call me a freak for whatever reason they fancy, I generally don't view it as an insult...
Old 07-21-2009, 12:58 PM   #75
Saya

You know, because of my religious beliefs I've been called many things, but never freak. How is it a freakish thing to do? Its pretty normal, isn't it?

Anyway, there's respecting a person as a person and then there's respecting idiotic beliefs that they have. For example, I will never respect someone for saying homosexuality is an abomination because a book told them so.