Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:18 PM   #151
Corpsey

I was just about to point out that when people read some bad poetry they'll try to be polite to their face about it but laugh about it later.

He should be aware of that after reaching the age of 25 unless he's the male equivalent of Catch.

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #152
Sir Canvas Corpsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLich View Post
I dont think I'm "better" than anyone else. Everyone in my life whom has read that poem thought it was brilliant, you and every other asswipe on this forum whom has taken a stab at me are only saying its shitty because it would be inconvenient for your proposition if you were to admit that it was good, and I'm 25, not 30.
No, only three people responded to it, unfortunately those three people know what they're talking about when they say your poem was shit. (especially Gothicus)

Dude, grow the fuck up, you have the maturity and awareness of a three month old loaf of bread.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 AM   #153
Raptor

Quote:
On guitar, most of what I come up with could be considered main stream, speed metal, and death metal. Although I am a rhythm guitarist, so I dont do alot of picking. When it comes to vocals, I prefer singing grunge, metal, alternative, and goth metal.
Fair enough. I do like some metal, though usually any growling vocals put me off.

Anyway, your arrogance from the original post isn't justified. Maybe you don't believe that it came across as bragging, but looking at how many posts you got about it should tell you something.
And the people that responded to your poem wouldn't say it sucks because of what they think of you.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #154
JCC

Quote:
I dont think I'm "better" than anyone else. Everyone in my life whom has read that poem thought it was brilliant, you and every other asswipe on this forum whom has taken a stab at me are only saying its shitty because it would be inconvenient for your proposition if you were to admit that it was good, and I'm 25, not 30.
It was absolutely fucking awful, and that's not just because I think you're a twat, I compliment twats when they do something good.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #155
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Thats a valid question, and I really dont know how to answer it. But I guess I'm just lazy when it comes to books. If it sparks my interest, I'll read it. For example, I like reading fictional lore, like the Warcraft lore, I find it to be interesting. I guess saying "I dont like reading alot" was the wrong way to say it, I should say "I dont read alot", but I do "like" reading if I take a notion.

Now, if you asked me about some of the greatest authors in the world, or similiar, I probably wouldnt have a clue who they are, simply because I dont really care, my interest in literature is mainly using it as an outlet by writing my own stuff. Same with my music, I of course know alot of songs/artists, but to tell you the truth, 7 times out of 10 if I hear a song that I have heard several times, I usually dont even know who the artist is. I dont pay much attention to the technicalities of it, I just like the sound of a song, if that makes any sense.
I think you're making a mistake there. Creativity at its best usually comes IMO from knowing where the buondaries are - there's a huge difference between crossing them, and crossing them with STYLE. You can't do something outside of the accepted way without having a good general understanding of what works and what doesn't within the stuff that already exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Christine View Post
You should read more... like everyone says, it's impossible to get any better without seeing masters at work. I highly suggest books like 'Clockwork Orange' or 'The Count of Monte Cristo' go after classic titles, they tend to be that way for a reason.
This is true - although there are classics I dislike and sometimes consider to be badly written, they overall tend to be better than most contemporary stuff. Plus there's usually something to be learned contextually from reading them.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #156
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian View Post
QED, bitch. Fuck your hypocrisy.
You are such a retard, look at what I said dude, and try to muster a comprehension of it, what I said was not in reference to "how uberly great I am", it was stating that ANYONE who chooses not to bind themselves to the mental boundaries of others can achieve a greater effect in whatever activity they are pursuing.
ArchLich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #157
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
I think you're making a mistake there. Creativity at its best usually comes IMO from knowing where the buondaries are - there's a huge difference between crossing them, and crossing them with STYLE. You can't do something outside of the accepted way without having a good general understanding of what works and what doesn't within the stuff that already exists.

This is true - although there are classics I dislike and sometimes consider to be badly written, they overall tend to be better than most contemporary stuff. Plus there's usually something to be learned contextually from reading them.
I get where you and lady christine are coming from, and it has its truths. My perception just differs a bit. If you let your creativity take the form of other great artists, then generally it is much harder to become greater than them(not impossible, however, which has of course been proven). I am not too great at explaining things, I never have been, so unless I'm forced to later in the thread, I'd rather not try to explain my reasons for believing this. Everyone has their own thing, throughout my life I have had several honest opinions of my music and literature/lyrics, most everyone who's opinion I gave a shit about thought they were all brilliant works of art. I even had one retard tell me I should try american idol(rofl...), but not to worry, not only would I never join such a hypocritical culture of sell-outs, but I would never make it on the show anyway because they are required to sing genres which I couldnt sing if my life depended on it.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #158
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
I get where you and lady christine are coming from, and it has its truths.
Actually, it's THE truth. And I'm not just being a dick - ask any good writer (or read their letters and essays, seeing as how the vast majority of them are dead).

Quote:
If you let your creativity take the form of other great artists, then generally it is much harder to become greater than them(not impossible, however, which has of course been proven).
You're looking at this the wrong way - it's as much about knowing what you DON'T want to do as what you do. Leeching off others is normal when people who read a lot first start out writing, but the ones who keep at it usually fall pretty quickly into their own natural style. It's not about mimicking others, it's about looking at a pile of books and thinking, "you know, those guys had it right" - then thinking of some NO ONE has done, and having the technical knowledge to write it well.

Quote:
Everyone has their own thing, throughout my life I have had several honest opinions of my music and literature/lyrics, most everyone who's opinion I gave a shit about thought they were all brilliant works of art.
Don't trust others too much - the majority opinion is responsible for such travesties as Lady Gaga and Genesis. When it's good, you'll know it not by virtue of the people around you, but because you have a wide knowledge of good art and you know that yours stands the comparison.

I'm aware that the above sounds hella patronizing, but I honestly think you're being heroically naive about this. You wouldn't presume to make somthing without knowing how because you know it's bound to turn out bad, and the same is pretty much always true of writing.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #159
ArchLich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathy's_Child View Post
Actually, it's THE truth. And I'm not just being a dick - ask any good writer (or read their letters and essays, seeing as how the vast majority of them are dead).

You're looking at this the wrong way - it's as much about knowing what you DON'T want to do as what you do. Leeching off others is normal when people who read a lot first start out writing, but the ones who keep at it usually fall pretty quickly into their own natural style. It's not about mimicking others, it's about looking at a pile of books and thinking, "you know, those guys had it right" - then thinking of some NO ONE has done, and having the technical knowledge to write it well.

Don't trust others too much - the majority opinion is responsible for such travesties as Lady Gaga and Genesis. When it's good, you'll know it not by virtue of the people around you, but because you have a wide knowledge of good art and you know that yours stands the comparison.

I'm aware that the above sounds hella patronizing, but I honestly think you're being heroically naive about this. You wouldn't presume to make somthing without knowing how because you know it's bound to turn out bad, and the same is pretty much always true of writing.
Makes sense, perhaps I'll dabble a bit, thanks for the civil advice.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #160
Lady Christine

So where can I find a copy of this famous poem everyone keeps talking about? Is it somewhere in the past few pages of this thread?
Lady Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #161
korinna5555

Literature section. It's incredibly boring; don't waste your time. Unless you WANT to kill time, haha.
korinna5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #162
ArchLich

Quote:
So where can I find a copy of this famous poem everyone keeps talking about? Is it somewhere in the past few pages of this thread?
https://www.gothic.net/boards/showthread.php?t=15324
Old 05-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #163
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555 View Post
Literature section. It's incredibly boring; don't waste your time. Unless you WANT to kill time, haha.
I want to kill EVERYTHING!

ArchLich - What format is that? Is it free verse or were you going by a format?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #164
ArchLich

Quote:
I want to kill EVERYTHING!

ArchLich - What format is that? Is it free verse or were you going by a format?
free verse
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #165
HavelockV

Quote:
You cannot break the boundaries until you know what they are.
Quoted for truth. *hat tips to Lady Christine*

I am arriving rather late to this discussion, but I am compelled to agree with others who have stated that you should at least attempt to broaden your literary experience, and likewise with art and music. It really is impossible to judge one's own accomplishments without a foundation of relevant knowledge of prior works, particularly those regarded as noteworthy classics.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with gaming, might I suggest you reallocate some of that time and invest it in reading? I suspect it would be more intellectually fulfilling to page through a tome of Faulkner or Keats than slaying a Level 5 Ogre and acquiring a Mana-replenishing amulet. One might even hope that more literary pursuits would serve to improve your writing skills.
HavelockV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #166
Lady Christine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavelockV View Post
Quoted for truth. *hat tips to Lady Christine*

I am arriving rather late to this discussion, but I am compelled to agree with others who have stated that you should at least attempt to broaden your literary experience, and likewise with art and music. It really is impossible to judge one's own accomplishments without a foundation of relevant knowledge of prior works, particularly those regarded as noteworthy classics.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with gaming, might I suggest you reallocate some of that time and invest it in reading? I suspect it would be more intellectually fulfilling to page through a tome of Faulkner or Keats than slaying a Level 5 Ogre and acquiring a Mana-replenishing amulet. One might even hope that more literary pursuits would serve to improve your writing skills.
Oh HavelockV... I always look forward to your posts. They make me smile.

HavelockV makes a good point though. Your lvl 80 Dragon Slayer will still be there later, after you read a book or something. Seriously, pick up a copy of 'A Clockwork Orange' or if you ABSOLUTELY need an EASY read and don't have a problem reading utter dribble... I can't believe I'm saying this... pick up a copy of 'Twilight' if that's what it takes to make you read!

Now excuse me while I throw up...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #167
HavelockV

*Bows* I am honored, milady, though I must strongly protest your reccomendation of that detestable novel. Awful stuff.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:31 PM   #168
ArchLich

Quote:
I suspect it would be more intellectually fulfilling to page through a tome of Faulkner or Keats than slaying a Level 5 Ogre and acquiring a Mana-replenishing amulet.
Rofl!! That was funny!!

But I enjoy gaming, I'm a lazy, fat basterd(in other words, I'm american). Although, as I said before, I'll dabble a bit, see where it takes me. I just started college a month ago anyway, so I'm sure I'll have choice opportunity. I was considering taking art history for the fuck of it.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #169
ArchLich

Quote:
Oh HavelockV... I always look forward to your posts. They make me smile.

HavelockV makes a good point though. Your lvl 80 Dragon Slayer will still be there later, after you read a book or something. Seriously, pick up a copy of 'A Clockwork Orange' or if you ABSOLUTELY need an EASY read and don't have a problem reading utter dribble... I can't believe I'm saying this... pick up a copy of 'Twilight' if that's what it takes to make you read!

Now excuse me while I throw up...
I prefer The Vampire Chronicles, awesome read. I havent read Twilight, but after seeing the cinamtic interpretation, I think I wouldnt be able to stomach it either.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #170
Lady Christine

Quote:
Rofl!! That was funny!!

But I enjoy gaming, I'm a lazy, fat basterd(in other words, I'm american). Although, as I said before, I'll dabble a bit, see where it takes me. I just started college a month ago anyway, so I'm sure I'll have choice opportunity. I was considering taking art history for the fuck of it.
Go for it! Just try to make the most of it, Art History can be boring or intriguing depending on how you handle it.

I also resent the statement Americans are fat lazy bastards!
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #171
ArchLich

Quote:
I also resent the statement Americans are fat lazy bastards!
Lol, oh please dont get me started on americans :-/.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #172
Lady Christine

Quote:
Lol, oh please dont get me started on americans :-/.
Don't get me started on Lestat ;D
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #173
Saya

Quote:
*Bows* I am honored, milady, though I must strongly protest your reccomendation of that detestable novel. Awful stuff.
Ditto, if we're suggesting an easy read but want to keep it intelligent, His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, its Paradise Lost for kids!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #174
HavelockV

While the field does receive its fair share of mockery in pop culture for its supposed ease and uselessness, art history can prove to be a very rewarding subject. It is fascinating to see how the prevailing cultural norms in different eras were reflected, and rebelled against, in artwork. The influence of technical innovations and progress upon artists' styles and techniques is also quite interesting.

College should indeed provide you with ample opportunity to increase your reading experience. Have you chosen or considered a Major area of study?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #175
ArchLich

Quote:
While the field does receive its fair share of mockery in pop culture for its supposed ease and uselessness, art history can prove to be a very rewarding subject. It is fascinating to see how the prevailing cultural norms in different eras were reflected, and rebelled against, in artwork. The influence of technical innovations and progress upon artists' styles and techniques is also quite interesting.

College should indeed provide you with ample opportunity to increase your reading experience. Have you chosen or considered a Major area of study?
Computer Information Systems AA, then transfering the credits to a university where I'll be studying for a bach in Information Technology.