Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Shill
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Shill Post your website announcements here. Anything that is blatantly SPAM (nigerian schemes, make money fast, etc) will be deleted. Actually, we'd probably keep the nigerian schemes around to make fun of it.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
TheBloodEternity

Photography

So, Miss Cogs college portfolio inspired me to pick up my camera and mess around with some b&w photography (I never bothered to try it out, I got the camera and messed around with it for a weekend and then got bored.)
Comments and critique please.

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_0827-1.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_0846-1.jpg

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMG_0843-1.jpg
TheBloodEternity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #2
Miss Cogs

I like the first a lot.
Although, I would ask that you brighten up your photos a bit.
They are quite dark.
Is the 2nd one supposed to be marco?
If so, then set your camera to marco setting.
I couldn't tell though, but I think it's supposed to be marco.
The third one, I would re-take because it's blurry, kinda.
Overall, you have very great concepts and with a little practice you will do very good. ^^
Even a professional photographer is still learning everday.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #3
TheBloodEternity

Thank you.
I know.... I have trouble brightening them up without them getting insanely grainy (the last two already are =\ )... I don't know my way around my camera very well.
No, it's zoomed and cropped, I almost didn't post it. Mine does have a macro setting I only use it occasionally.
Hmm, I know, when I saw how blurry it was I almost scrapped it but then I decided I kind of liked the blur.
Thank you, I know I need loads of practice, I would but I'm a huge procrasinator. I'm going to try to take photography next year.
Very true.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:41 PM   #4
Barfing_Rat

Blood... permission to photoshop the pics? I will show what you can do to improve them.

Cog if you want me to photoshop a couple pics, just feel free to ask.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:43 PM   #5
TheBloodEternity

I know what I could do to improve them, but I don't have any photo editing software. =( I'm hoping to get photoshop when I can afford it because I do know my way around the program (The whole first semester of Digital Media we worked with it and just when I was getting good we move on.... >.> )
Go ahead.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Barfing_Rat

First pic, you need to remove the blinds, it stand out like a sore thumb. I'd try to take pic from different angle so the mirror reflect doesn't show so much thing beside the girl, it is very busy. The girl need to remove the ring on thumb, it is eyesore as well. The upper part is a bit soft. However you have a nice concept. I'd try to photoshop rose so it's red. The key on the drawer look really good. The pic can be brighten up a bit more though. Otherwise this picture actually tell story and have emotion in it which make it a nice picture.

Second picture- The reflection of everything beside the rose in the mirror is very distracting and busy. I'd remove the bottle and the chest then experiment with different angle. But it isn't a bad try. Next time don't be shy about try to move things around or out of sights if it will improve the picture overall.

Third picture, it's quite nice picture. I like it a lot. I'd retake it though. the composition is great, how you didn't try to get everything into the picture is very good as well. Reflection in mirror is much better in this one. I'd try to capture the rose in the picture and see how it turn out. I like how the picture look victorian type. Beside blurry part, this pic is probably the best one out of all three.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
TheBloodEternity

Okay, well from a different angle it shows even more eyesore things like a giant stereo or my air conditioner, though if I had photoshop I would have darkened it (very lightly!) with the burn tool so it wasn't so white. Okay. The rose was originally black, lol. Good idea though I think it would draw more attention to the rose then I would've intended.

Yeah I know......that pic was taken as an afterthought.

Really? I will try to retake it then, I don't know why it kept coming out so blurry. The camera was on a tripod and nothing else gave me trouble even though it was the exact same settings and the camera was pretty much in the same place the whole time.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:32 PM   #8
Barfing_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBloodEternity
Really? I will try to retake it then, I don't know why it kept coming out so blurry. The camera was on a tripod and nothing else gave me trouble even though it was the exact same settings and the camera was pretty much in the same place the whole time.
That's odd. Did you use timer? I'd try to put it on 2 second timer. Believe it or not, you can cause picture to become blurry simply by shake the camera just a bit when you press the button. That's what the 2 seconds timer are for. If it didnt help and the speed is slow then something must be swaying the rose or camera such as fan or something.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:11 PM   #9
Miss Cogs

If you have no editing software. Download GIMP, its simple and free. That is what I use to edit my photos.
No, Rat, my photos are fine but thank you.
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:02 AM   #10
Atom Kat

I like where you are going with your pictures. I like the idea of the reflection in the mirror and the pieces (bottles etc) in the foreground are nice.
I wont give constructive criticism as there are some really great points made here already. But I like where you are starting out from, and the idea is great.
Atom Kat is offline   Reply With Quote