Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Evanescent

Evanescent has arrived.

Hello all. I am Luna, otherwise known as Evanescent- call me whichever you wish to. Moving onto the questions from the sticky:

1. What do you do? (Hobbies, job)
Currently, I'm finishing my last year of high school. As for hobbies, I have a few. I sing, draw, listen to music, write poetry, play on the computer, write song lyrics, and read.

2. Where are you from?
I can answer this in two ways. Originally? Florida. Currently? West Virginia.

3. Who is your favorite author?
I've got no clue. I don't usually pay much attention to the authors. Of those I do remember the names of, I like some of R.L. Stine's and Edgar Allen Poe's works.

4. What are your favorite films?
The Covenant and Queen Of The Damned are the first two that come to mind for me.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
"Bring Me To Life", by Evanescence. I believe my fiance once said he'd like that song as well.

6. At your funeral?
Probably "My Immortal", by Evanescence (so typical) or "Even In Death", also by Evanescence.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
I've always liked the idea of it being either a murder, suicide, or accident (fire, drowning, car accident). Though, I really don't to die as long as my love is alive.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
Black polished, with purple lining on the inside?

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Of what I actually have? My black and red corset, black jeans, and see through black jacket. I'd like to get some good boots to wear with it. Though, it's not something I wear too often, lol.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Nothing, really. Things are better for me now, than they were when I was younger. I can't think of anything that I really miss.

11. What's your favorite band?
As you may be able to tell from my user name and a few questions I've already answered, it's Evanescence. They've been top on my list ever since I knew about them.

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
As mentioned earlier, I'm finishing my last year of high school. I'm not quite sure what I'll do after I graduate.

13. Why did you join?
Honestly, it was mainly because I was bored. Of course, I was hoping that I might find more people to talk to whom I've things in common with.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Female!
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Green.Lady

Just so you know, Evanescence aren't considered goth music-wise (and you'll get bitched at if you call them so on this site), but if you know that it's all good, they aren't untalented, just not my thing.

Do you like any other bands (any genres)? How 'bout a list?

R.L. Stine? I used to read those obsessively when I was younger!
Green.Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Luna, my grandmother's maiden name. Welcome

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Evanescent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Lady
Just so you know, Evanescence aren't considered goth music-wise (and you'll get bitched at if you call them so on this site), but if you know that it's all good, they aren't untalented, just not my thing.

Yes, I know. I'm actually unsure of the genres I like, as I simply listen to whatever sounds good to me. Though I could list more that I enjoy, here's my top 5:
Within Temptation, Kittie, Disturbed, Eyes Set To Kill, Lacuna Coil.
I've actually been wanting to find some "dark classical" music to listen to as well, but I lack the ability to find it. Ah well.

I used to read R.L. Stine quite a lot a few years ago. I've really not found any more of his books for a while though.
Evanescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
DepthsofSpace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanescent
Yes, I know. I'm actually unsure of the genres I like, as I simply listen to whatever sounds good to me. Though I could list more that I enjoy, here's my top 5:
Within Temptation, Kittie, Disturbed, Eyes Set To Kill, Lacuna Coil.
I've actually been wanting to find some "dark classical" music to listen to as well, but I lack the ability to find it. Ah well.

I used to read R.L. Stine quite a lot a few years ago. I've really not found any more of his books for a while though.
If you want some 'dark classical', look up some of Emile Autumns' violin pieces. Rather haunting, also Nox Arcana (though it's over synthesized) is pretty good. iTunes is a great friend for locating new music as well. Start with an artist you like and then see their recommendations. I bought about half a dozen songs from artist I've never heard of based on iTunes recommendation and all are really good. Most of this is ethereal female electronica that I bought tonight, though some is symphonic metal...

BTW, I actually like Evanescence, though I perfer Within Temptation. Just have a thing for European women. =P
DepthsofSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #6
biohazard

Welcome to the boards! Evanescence is a pretty good band, although they are rock, not goth. For gothic music, I would suggest you visit the music topic. May I suggest some bands, such as "The Sisters of Mercy" and "Christian Death".
Old 10-15-2007, 08:01 PM   #7
DepthsofSpace

I have found it amazing how narrow a genre Goth is. It's a very, very specific genre.

It's not like classifiing something as rock, or even punk.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Valerius

You may want to check Nightwish or Kamelot if you're into that kind of music.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:

She is not clueless.

They are not considered POST PUNK, Gothic is a MUCH broader word on the other hand. More of a theme really.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
viscus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveyard.Crow
She is not clueless.

They are not considered POST PUNK, Gothic is a MUCH broader word on the other hand. More of a theme really.
What do you mean? Genres associated with goth rock, like deathrock, darkwave, dark cabaret, ethereal, or neo-medieval?

Evanescence aren't any of those either...
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #11
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
What do you mean? Genres associated with goth rock, like deathrock, darkwave, dark cabaret, ethereal, or neo-medieval?

Evanescence aren't any of those either...
First of all. You can't just lump almost everything that's macabre into goth rock.
Dark cabaret is dark cabaret, neo medival is neo medival where as post punk is well....separate.

I'm talking about "gothic" as a theme, not a genre. For example a movie that has gothic themes but not a lick of "post punk".
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
Green.Lady

GC, I wasn't saying she was clueless, it's just that many people make the assumption that Evanescence is gothic rock because of Amy Lee's style of dress and the darker subject matter. I was not insulting her, I understand that she is an intelligent person. I simply like the idea of bands fitting into genres.

Viscus, you have a solid point, Evanescence cannot fit into those certain categories; musically, they are alternative rock with perhaps some smaller metal elements. I think what GC meant was that they have dark, 'gothic' themes: death, loss, love, tragedy, all that good stuff. I am not into their music but do agree that the lyrics they write are quite poetic and could be considered somewhat 'goth' if you wanna slap a label on 'em.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM   #13
Graveyard.Crow

Quote:
GC, I wasn't saying she was clueless, it's just that many people make the assumption that Evanescence is gothic rock because of Amy Lee's style of dress and the darker subject matter. I was not insulting her, I understand that she is an intelligent person. I simply like the idea of bands fitting into genres.

Viscus, you have a solid point, Evanescence cannot fit into those certain categories; musically, they are alternative rock with perhaps some smaller metal elements. I think what GC meant was that they have dark, 'gothic' themes: death, loss, love, tragedy, all that good stuff. I am not into their music but do agree that the lyrics they write are quite poetic and could be considered somewhat 'goth' if you wanna slap a label on 'em.
Thank you very much. That is exactly what I meant.
You probably said it better than I did above.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #14
Green.Lady

No problem.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:25 PM   #15
Graveyard.Crow

This is a nice change from a usual argument I end up getting into XD
Old 10-15-2007, 10:41 PM   #16
Green.Lady

I guess we have an inner understanding... or something corny like that.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #17
gothicusmaximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanescent
9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
Of what I actually have? My black and red corset, black jeans, and see through black jacket. I'd like to get some good boots to wear with it. Though, it's not something I wear too often, lol.

how can a black jacket be see through?
gothicusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:16 AM   #18
korinna5555

West Virginia! I am in Northern VA, so I am sorta kinda close.
I am in high school and engaged, too.. I like you

Welcome!
Old 10-16-2007, 06:27 AM   #19
KontanKarite

*rolls eyes at the conversation*

Regardless, welcome to the forums.

Who knows? You might find some goth rock interesting and entertaining.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:35 AM   #20
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
This is a nice change from a usual argument I end up getting into XD
That's just because I wasn't around.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:42 AM   #21
KontanKarite

Like water and potassium. I think you guys would actually get along real well in real life.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #22
viscus

Quote:
First of all. You can't just lump almost everything that's macabre into goth rock.
Dark cabaret is dark cabaret, neo medival is neo medival where as post punk is well....separate.

I'm talking about "gothic" as a theme, not a genre. For example a movie that has gothic themes but not a lick of "post punk".
I'm not lumping everything together, I said associated.

Eh, I would refrain from using the word "gothic" as a theme, because then everything gets too broad and confusing. I mean, following that notion, a portion of some music like country or hip-hop could be considered gothic because it might have some dark content.

But anyway, we have digressed.

@ the OP: Welcome to g-net.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
Like water and potassium. I think you guys would actually get along real well in real life.
Maybe. Are you by any chance thinking of sodium, though? I know sodium and water are quite volatile when together, and I know potassium is similar to sodium, so do they make bangbang, too? Or were you thinking of sodium?
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 AM   #24
NachtSorcier

Welcome. Where at in WV? Nowhere near me, probably, and I hope not for your sake. That is to say, this town blows.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM   #25
DepthsofSpace

Heh, I go to WV once a year for a conference in the Green Bank Radio Observatory. That's a pretty area up there, but there is nothing around to do. About the only place interesting seems to be the Green Brier Inn...