Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

Old 03-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #1326
ExistentialDisorder

Date Movie.... don't ask why. I was guilted into it, sort of. Not that I was expecting anything from it beyond a complete waste of two hours of my life. Still, I like Alison Hannigan. But it's depressing to know that she's selling herself short on bullshit films like this. She's really a good actress, or at least has the potential to be, and yet for whatever reasons, has yet to do anything that really shows those tallents. At least as far as I know, she's never done a serious film. Is this her fault or her agent?

Anyway, I may go see 'V for Vendetta' on Friday. I like Portman and the previews looks somewhat interesting. I'm told it's based on a comic book, or novel, or something along those lines. I'm also interested in seeing Ultraviolet.

Question: Has anyone seen "Night Watch" ? It's a Russian film, and tho I hate subtitles, I really want to see this one. It may suck hard, or it may be great. Who knows. It's suppose to be the first of a trilogy. I've never seen a foreign film with this degree of special effects, and I'm all about the eye candy in movies.

"What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection
Is it all you wanted to be?
What if you could look right through the cracks?
Would you find yourself [or]
Find yourself afraid to see?..." -NIN
ExistentialDisorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:24 PM   #1327
Empty_Purple_Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExistentialDisorder

Question: Has anyone seen "Night Watch" ? It's a Russian film, and tho I hate subtitles, I really want to see this one. It may suck hard, or it may be great. Who knows. It's suppose to be the first of a trilogy. I've never seen a foreign film with this degree of special effects, and I'm all about the eye candy in movies.
I like Alison Hannigan as well, there is just something really appealing and wholesome about her. I admit to bawling my head off when they killed her girlfriend Tara, on Buffy. The scene when she's cradling her dead body in her arms after she got shot, was simply heartbreaking.

Plus "Evil Willow" was pretty damn scary.. It was really neat to see Ms. Sweet & Studious, become a full fledged Evil & Powerful Bitch.

I agree she is totally capable of more than she has done since Buffy.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Night Watch as well.

Here is the Official Night Watch Website.
Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:38 PM   #1328
edible_eye

i'm watching 'the birds'. i forgot the slight nuances of this film.

i'm really enjoying it.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:39 PM   #1329
ExistentialDisorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Purple_Stars
I like Alison Hannigan as well, there is just something really appealing and wholesome about her. I admit to bawling my head off when they killed her girlfriend Tara, on Buffy. The scene when she's cradling her dead body in her arms after she got shot, was simply heartbreaking.

Plus "Evil Willow" was pretty damn scary.. It was really neat to see Ms. Sweet & Studious, become a full fledged Evil & Powerful Bitch.

I agree she is totally capable of more than she has done since Buffy.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Night Watch as well.

Here is the Official Night Watch Website.
I agree. And it was her portrayal of Willow that turned me on to both the Buffy tv series and Alison Hannigan. Before I payed attention to her, I hated the show with gritted teeth. Now I have all 7 seasons on dvd. heh. Her scenes with Tara, especially towards the end of Tara's life, are the ones that most especially show how much she's really capable of. And then as Evil Willow - man, she was just freakin' HAWT there. I almost wished they'd left her evil, or at least continued on with it for a bit longer than they did. But then, her evil side was too much for even Buffy to deal with, and Buffy always has to win in the end. Anyway... Didn't she win some kind of award for that? I'd really like to see her play a similar "bad-ass sexy bitch" role in something. I hope she doesn't stick with these pathetic excuses for mindless american comedy films she's been doing. Maybe she just hasn't been offered the right roles yet. But I have to admit, in Date Movie, at the beginning when she's doing her fat chick dance in the street, was pretty damned funny.

- thanks for the Night Watch link, EPS. I think I've already been to it, but I'll look again.

Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:07 PM   #1330
Pathogen.

2 documentaries.

*A.L.F. [about the Animal Liberation Front].

*In The Year Of The Pig [about the Vietnam War].

Shown both of these as part of an anti-war movie-night my Anarchist collective were putting on to prepare folks for the Gulf War 2 anniversary protest next Saturday. Had 2 guest speakers before the films [originally was 3, but 1 cancelled].
Pathogen. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #1331
tenet_2012

I watched "Hated: GG Allin and The Murder Junkies"...

Wow, that is all I have to say.

If you don't know who GG Allin was you should check this documentary out.

Wow...

--Geisha
tenet_2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:58 PM   #1332
Magpie_Tendencies

Bowling for Columbine.

We were watching it in my law class.
The bit where they show the Columbine shootings and have the parents voiceovers was really, really sad.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:48 AM   #1333
WolfMoon

Brokeback Mountain
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:42 AM   #1334
Beowulf

Cool

Shi mian mai fu (AKA House of Flying Daggers)

I`ve only just seen this film the other day, and it was brilliant, the cinematography was beautiful, and the art direction was fantastic, creating a beautifully made film.

During the reign of the Tang dynasty in China, a secret organization called "The House of the Flying Daggers" rises and opposes the government. A police officer called Leo sends officer Jin to investigate a young dancer named Mei, claiming that she has ties to the "Flying Daggers". Leo arrests Mei, only to have Jin breaking her free in a plot to gain her trust and lead the police to the new leader of the secret organization. But things are far more complicated than they seem... IMDB

If you liked Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, you will love this film.
live the gods of yesterday.

Be excellent to one another !!!.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #1335
Queenofdarkness57

The Exorcism of Emily Rose.
Old 03-15-2006, 01:39 PM   #1336
Inky

SAW. It was wonderfully disturbing; best film I've seen in a long time.
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 03:12 PM   #1337
Pathogen.

Blue motherfucking Velvet! I love Neo-Noir. I love David Lynch.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #1338
tenet_2012

"Reign of Fire"... bald Matthew...

*drools*

--Geisha
Old 03-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #1339
Empty_Purple_Stars

Holy Flaming Enemas Batman!!!!!!!!!!

We watched Saw II last night..

The first one didn't impress us all that much. The ending kinda killed it for me.

But the new one?

Oh. My. God.

Edge of my seat, chewing a hole in my bottom lip the entire time..

Seriously..

It was fucking great!!!!!

I didn't see the ending coming at all, which is rare for me..

A Total Shocker!!

I totally reccommend it to all of our Shock Horror buffs out there..

Fucking. Scary.

Three Extremes is next on our horror list.. ( I'm nervous already)

Empty_Purple_Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 AM   #1340
+Neon Injection+

I watched 'March of the Penguins' in the doctor's office at 6 a.m. this morning.
I laughed, I cried.
I still haven't gone to sleep.

*sigh*
+Neon Injection+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:40 PM   #1341
Beowulf

Cool

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

My favourite Monty Python film ever !!!

Old 03-17-2006, 05:49 PM   #1342
Pathogen.

2 videos from Cleopatra Records's "Goth Box" DVD ["Clown" by Switchblade Symphony & "Christine" by The Wake]. After that, an old episode of "Biography" [VHS] about Edgar Allan Poe. Hosted by Peter Graves [from the original 1960s "Mission: Impossible" TV programme].
Old 03-17-2006, 06:01 PM   #1343
Beowulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen.
2 videos from Cleopatra Records's "Goth Box" DVD ["Clown" by Switchblade Symphony & "Christine" by The Wake]. After that, an old episode of "Biography" [VHS] about Edgar Allan Poe. Hosted by Peter Graves [from the original 1960s "Mission: Impossible" TV programme].

Pathogen,

That `Goth Box` DVD sounds intresting, what else is on the DVD (I`m always on the quest for good music) ?.

I think I saw that Poe Documentry on the Biography channel a few years back, it was really good.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:03 PM   #1344
tenet_2012

"Lord help my poor soul."

--Geisha
Old 03-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #1345
ExistentialDisorder

Underworld: Evolution.... eh, it was alright, for an action film. Nothing spectacular. lots of gore and a lot more blood licking than the first one. special effects were decent, but i've seen better. and i was expecting better. but their budget for fx was limited to begin with. which makes absolutely no sense, considering any idiot would know that film needed major fx. you'd think they would have allotted more, but whatever. i think the first one was better.

Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:26 PM   #1346
psychopenguin

MirrorMask. It is now OFFICIALLY my favorite movie.
Written by Neil Gaimen (one of my favorite authors) it has an amazing storyline as well as incredible visual and special effects. It really takes you to another world. I HIGHLY recommend you go see it!
psychopenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:59 PM   #1347
ExistentialDisorder

cool, Psychopenguin. I've never read any of his books or seen his films, but he has a short story called "Nicholas Was" about santa claus that I just freakin love.

Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?
Old 03-18-2006, 07:29 AM   #1348
rockandrose

Early last week, I watched "Hostel" which I thought was one of the worst movies I have ever come across. Generally speaking, I thought the storyline was very straightforward and predictable. Since I thougnt the movie didn't possess a good storyline, it's ashame the movie failed to convey a sense of "horror" or "gruesomeness" to me. As this aspect could of slightly raise my opinions of this movie.

Overall, this movie sucks and is just another mainstream Hollywood movie that likes to lick a fairy's ass!
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #1349
Loy

"History Of Cinema" by Jean Luc Godard-two things that should be clarified, 1-Godard is a genius, and 2-I fucking LOATHE 99% of his output since "Weekend"

Godard is one of those few directors who actually changed the grammar of cinema (his first film, "Breathless", gave film the jump-cut, for example). And since his first gunshot across the screen, other directors have studied/been inspired by/straight out stole from the man.

And whilst you can go through his filmography of the 60s and go "holy fucking shit, this is awesome!" ("Breathless", "Band Of Outsiders", "Contempt", "Masculin/Feminin", "Pierre Le Fou", "2 Or 3 Things I Know About Her", "My Life To Live", "Caribiniers"....oh just get them all!), it's his post-new wave period stuff that's, while intellectually engaging, just not....cinema. Aside from a few films here and there ("Tout Va Bien", "Passion", and parts of "In Praise Of Love"), his stuff consists mostly of self-refferential intellectual jags where all meaning is hermetically sealed, and if you don't get it, well, it's beacuse you're a fucking idiot!!!!!!

For the most part, I have no qualms with a film-maker calling the viewer too dumb to get what they're watching (I love "OldBoy", for christs sake), but I do have a problem with intellectuals who refuse to allow an in to anybody who doesn't go on their knees the second their name is mentioned.

One can easilly call this the greatest and most intelligent Tarantino film ever made (it's composed of completely of scenes from other films edited together, with the film-maker talking nonsense over it.....basically a Tarantino film), but considering the length (about 8 hours or so), the breadth (scenes from films from all over the world, from the entire history of film), and the attitude (scenes blleding into each in such a way that we re-evaluate not only our idea of the film, but how that film fits into different contexts of society, biology, and business....then it totally reconstructs THIS viewpoint about 30 second afterwards), it's not a film I'd suggest for the casual viewer....or even a Godard fan.

The problem is this-Godard HAD done this....and did it better. When the British Film Institute went around the world on the 100 anniversary of film, they asked who they considered the best film-maker of that country to do a history of film from their country. They were asked to keep it to around 1/2 an hour (and they all did, except for Martin Scorsese, who overshot by about 5 hours). This "History" is a needlessly extended and extrapolated version of that wonderful 1/2 BFI production. Which goes to show that whilst Godard is a genius, he's not above fucking up royally.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:05 PM   #1350
WolfMoon

Ultra Violet.

It's complete shit.

They don't delve nearly enough into the character's backgrounds for one thing.

The fight scenes are a blatant rip-off of everything ever done in The Matrix. They're also timed badly. When you can see someone waiting to be signaled to attack, that's just bad. The editors should be fired.

None of the technology is explained it's just kind of there.

And if you didn't clearly here the word "VAMPIRE!" in your brain the first time the phrase 'hemophage' is uttered, then you haven't read enough horror.

Meh! Recycled plot line, bad acting, I almost fell asleep!

Don't watch this movie.

Read a book.
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote