Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookycreep View Post
The wildest one of all was this guy who wanted to commit sucide. He stood at the top of a cliff over looking waters and tied a noose around his neck, with the other end of the rope tied to a tree behind him. He drank a bottle of poison, set himself on fire (I'm not making this up) fired a gun shot at his head as he jumped off the cliff.
The bullet missed his head but cut the rope. He fell into the water and the water not only put the fire out, it was so cold that it made him vomit up the poison. A fisherman pulled the guy out of the water but he couldn't be saved. He died from hypothermia.
Yeah, that didn't happen.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #27
Ben Lahnger

Quote:
(The book might have been called Duh: the stupid history of the human race.)
Yeah, it's called "Duh! The Stupid History of the Human Race". There's several books in the series. I have two of them around here somewhere.

Alan, I don't know if that really happened or not, but it definitely IS in that book - that freaking story stuck in my mind.

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #28
Alan

The Duh! books are half stories, half urban legends.
You don't really believe this is true, do you?

"Three signs that Republicans really do care about poor people:
1) A proposal to raise the minimum wage for poor people to $5, as long as it's understood that's also the maximum wage.
2) A protest march, where Republicans have their chauffeurs circle the block while they wave designer picket signs out the moon roof."

That's on the book.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #29
Sinjob

This is a total joke
http://gothic.net/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Sinjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #30
Ben Lahnger

I don't remember that being in the book (it's definitely not ON the book says the smartass in me), but these aren't scholarly works. They're full of apocryphal stories and yes, urban myths. My point was that that story is in the book. And yes, it's hard to believe.

That's why I said specifically, "I DON'T KNOW IF IT REALLY HAPPENED OR NOT ..."

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #31
6SixSick

Quote:
A friend of mine has this book called something like The Stupid History of the Human Race, I'ts all about dumb shit people have done. The book had a chapter devoted to dumb-ass deaths.
A middle aged man was thrown a party, complete with a naked girl popping out of the cake. When the guy saw the girl was his daughter he had a heart attack and died on the spot.
Another nut thought it would be cool to play pool upside down. He rigged up ropes so he could hang over the pool table to take his shot but the rope gave way. He broke his neck
The wildest one of all was this guy who wanted to commit sucide. He stood at the top of a cliff over looking waters and tied a noose around his neck, with the other end of the rope tied to a tree behind him. He drank a bottle of poison, set himself on fire (I'm not making this up) fired a gun shot at his head as he jumped off the cliff.
The bullet missed his head but cut the rope. He fell into the water and the water not only put the fire out, it was so cold that it made him vomit up the poison. A fisherman pulled the guy out of the water but he couldn't be saved. He died from hypothermia.

(The book might have been called Duh: the stupid history of the human race.)
hahahahahahah Classic!
6SixSick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:25 PM   #32
Ben Lahnger

Since my point wasn't whether it was true or not (and I suspected it was fanciful but I have seen stranger things be true) but simply that it IS in the book, I wasn't intent on arguing with you, Alan. But, since I suspected it was false all along I went ahead and looked it up on SNOPES, which states no such story can be confirmed, and that the story had been reproduced in a variety of forms for years.

It's still a fun book to read. Goes right up there with The Bathroom Companion.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #33
Spookycreep

Hmmm. Can't say It ever occured to me to doubt the story, but now that the idea is out there_ if some one put a gun to my head and told me to decide for or against it's reality, I'd close my eyes, cross my fingers and answer: not true.
An honest man is easy to fool. He thinks every one is like him.
Spookycreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
Expecto Sherlock

How many surrealists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Expecto Sherlock is offline   Reply With Quote