Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 12-07-2005, 11:32 PM   #76
horrorgirl

I'm listening to Pump Up The Volume by M.A.R.R.S. right now and I would like to recommend it to you guys. It has a really cool beat plus samples of Ofra Haza. Great classic rap/dance song. It was also played in 'goth' clubs back in the day. Trust me...I was there.

I would put this in my other post but it won't let me edit. Oh well.....

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 12:01 AM   #77
rockandrose

Horrorgirl, you have named a lot of bands that I've never heard of. It's good though.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #78
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
Horrorgirl, you have named a lot of bands that I've never heard of. It's good though.
I like exposing people to music that they have never heard before. :-) Check out some Ofra Haza while you're at it. She was a Middle Eastern singer who put out some pretty cool songs. A little bit poppy but her vocals are really great.

Old 12-08-2005, 02:59 PM   #79
arc-en-gel

though all of this is interesting, its hard to me to believe rap is not crap. sounds so much like it
ok, stupid wordplay, i shut the fuck up and get out from here
arc-en-gel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 11:11 PM   #80
Demonista_Ravenesque

Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-en-gel
though all of this is interesting, its hard to me to believe rap is not crap. sounds so much like it
ok, stupid wordplay, i shut the fuck up and get out from here
I'll wordplay you, you son of a bitch.

-------------------------------------------

Horrorgirl....What N.W.A do you like and have you heard some stuff by Ol' Dirty Bastard?

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:05 AM   #81
Blushing Heliophobe

My parents were really young when they had me (16 and 14) so when I was growing up, they listened to rap.

A lot of the older stuff is about the struggles of trying to better yourself when you've been born into a situation that has odds stacked against you.

Check out the lyrics to "Keep Your Head Up", with the following...

"And since we all came from a woman
Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman
I wonder why we take from our women
Why we **** our women, do we hate our women?
I think it's time to kill for our women
Time to heal our women, be real to our women..."

But most, if not all, of the newer stuff is just pop. No heart, no feeling, no originality...mass produced for a culture that eats it up.

Doesn't make it not music, though. Makes it heartless mass generated music.
Blushing Heliophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:20 AM   #82
TheKorovaMilkbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockandrose
I don't even think actual good rap exist nowadays. I think good rap has died a long time ago.
I must have missed this, but...

WHAT DO YOU MEAN?!?! What about Gorillaz and NIN?! *sob*

Actually, now that I think about it, rap has changed a lot since it first came out. It has been integrated into other kinds of music. We don't really think of it being by itself anymore. Hip-hop is by itself genre wise, but then, I don't like hip-hop.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:46 PM   #83
Arc_Avalo

I happen to like ICP. Not because of their makeup or their talking about hitting nedens (pussy). I like their music because I like their MUSIC! I find many of the beats very dancable and some of the subject matter praisable. They talk about cutting off redneck heads more than anything else, and in one song "Halls of Illusions" they give you the ride of your life by showing you the monster that is yourself. They talk about murdering people, sure, but when they do, it is usually someone that has it coming to them. "How many times will my neighbor beat his wife? Somewhere in that house there's a butcher knife. Fucking drunk, swinging his fists about. Why don't she wait till he's asleep and take him out?" Actually listen to a band before judging them, please.
Arc_Avalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #84
Demonista_Ravenesque

I listened to ICP..

I think they suck.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:13 AM   #85
Arc_Avalo

That's fine; you're entitled to an opinion. My opinion is they're one of the most amazing bands in history. I mean, they came out of Detroit as young, nobody rappers in 1989 and just look at them now! They've gained quite a following and have even completed their story. I gotta give them credit for sticking to their dream no matter how many people said they couldn't do it.
Arc_Avalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 07:48 AM   #86
1TOOMANY

I think what we are seeing here is most of the people that are bashing rap are using rap as a tool to use racial undertones. Which is fucking bullshit. If you don't like rap the solution is simple don't fucking listen to it. Rap was created in poor communities as a way of expressing the hardships of urban strife. And since hip hop came out of underprivileged communities they used what they could as instruments. Old turntables used to sample real instruments, cheap casio keyboards used for beats, and home stereos with a cheap mic. rigged up. As time evolved hip hop evolved as any other music does and in some cases got away from it's roots. But there are still a hell of alot of Hip Hop crews still true to it's original form.

Basically if you don't like it just don't fucking listen to it!
Old 12-23-2005, 08:49 AM   #87
horrorgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TOOMANY
I think what we are seeing here is most of the people that are bashing rap are using rap as a tool to use racial undertones. Which is fucking bullshit. If you don't like rap the solution is simple don't fucking listen to it. Rap was created in poor communities as a way of expressing the hardships of urban strife. And since hip hop came out of underprivileged communities they used what they could as instruments. Old turntables used to sample real instruments, cheap casio keyboards used for beats, and home stereos with a cheap mic. rigged up. As time evolved hip hop evolved as any other music does and in some cases got away from it's roots. But there are still a hell of alot of Hip Hop crews still true to it's original form.

Basically if you don't like it just don't fucking listen to it!
Amen to that. Early rap/hip hop is great, and people who don't even give it a chance are pretty close minded.

Old 12-23-2005, 10:44 AM   #88
1TOOMANY

I like the original style hip hop; Sugar Hill Gang, Run-DMC, LL cool J, E.P.M.D. Melle Mel and Grandmaster Flash, Furious Five, M.C. Shan, Boogie Down Productions, Nucleus, Big Daddy Kane, Slick Rick, Dougie Fresh, Kurtis Blow, Kool G Rap, Kool Rock ski, UTFO, Choice M.C.'s, Busy Bee, Kool Moe Dee, Eric B. & Rakim, Beastie Boys, B-Boys, Fat Boys, Boogie Boys, Public Enemy Those are just some of the pioneers. Now it seems like all Rap artists talk about is gold,ice, girls, cars, and how much money they have, which was about the exact opposite of what real Hip Hop was based on.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:18 PM   #89
rockandrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TOOMANY
Rap was created in poor communities as a way of expressing the hardships of urban strife.
Agreed.

It's ashamed that today's rap is very much dominated by childish lyrics and has also famous in the club scenes.

Same applies to R&B music. Old school R&B never used to have all this excessive 'bling' and 'artifical glamour' emphasised in their music clips and lyrics.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #90
Sanctus Dei

Wow. Some people feel so strongly about this subject, but I have a feeling not a single person who out right bashes another genre has actually taken the time to listen. I can't say that I'm a major fan of much of the current "hits" but I have respect for certain people and the efforts they put forth to relay messages they have a passion for.

Alicia Keys for one, her voice and words are amazing.... very talented. I don't own and never will own a CD but I can't rob her of the credit she deserves purely because it's "not my thing". I also have a respect for the people who have grown with the industries of all genres.. it takes some talent and hard work to remain in the public eye (when not associated with a crime).
People like Kayne West, Tricky, Lauren Hill, The Fugees, etc... they do work for what publicity they receive. Even Missy Elliot, who is a huge female draw and talent amongst a strongly male dominated art, has my respect.
Again I never really listen, but I won't "shit" on an art form purely due to my personal tastes. (even...*shudder* country has it's merit)
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:15 PM   #91
psyche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Last decent one I heard was POWER but that was even a long time ago...
I remember POWER doing that "Victim of a Criminal" joint with FLA a while back, Man.

Aside from the usual underground hip-hop suspects, in this day in time, I listen to some Dead Prez now and again.

And I was fortunate enough to meet Boots, from The Coup, a while back when he came into my shop to talk bikes. The Coup is genuine Black Panther-esque Bay Mob Rap in the old Oakland style laced with plenty of socio/political commentary. Dope, especially the joint track with Dead Prez, called "Get Up"... er sumthin.

DMT's! A tight 808 beat with a few samples, no matter what genre yer claimin', I'm perdy down wit!
"Focus your attention on the link between you and your death, without remorse or sadness or worrying. Let each of your acts be your last battle on earth. Only under those conditions will your acts have thier rightful power." ~Don Juan
psyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #92
ohthefuckwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyche
I remember POWER doing that "Victim of a Criminal" joint with FLA a while back, Man.

Aside from the usual underground hip-hop suspects, in this day in time, I listen to some Dead Prez now and again.

And I was fortunate enough to meet Boots, from The Coup, a while back when he came into my shop to talk bikes. The Coup is genuine Black Panther-esque Bay Mob Rap in the old Oakland style laced with plenty of socio/political commentary. Dope, especially the joint track with Dead Prez, called "Get Up"... er sumthin.

DMT's! A tight 808 beat with a few samples, no matter what genre yer claimin', I'm perdy down wit!

and where the fuck have you been, ya little freak??
Old 12-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #93
MrMaelstrom

Listenin' to Public Enemy N1 - Public Enemy

Next:

It's Tricky - RUN DMC
Hey Ladies - Bestie Boys

...ooops, wrong thread!?
Old 12-24-2005, 04:11 PM   #94
MrMaelstrom

You down wit OPP, yeah you know me....
Old 12-24-2005, 04:14 PM   #95
MrMaelstrom

Lesse Robert Smith:

-got himself fat as soon as he got some real cash,
-wears untucked and fully buttoned-up shirts, East LA style,
-always wore custom Hi-Tecs when everyone else was still SHOE-gazing,

conclusion:

,,,he's a homie and I wanna see a duet with Ice-T Ice or Cube or Ice Coffee or sumtin'...

,,,wot?
Old 12-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #96
WolfMoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohthefuckwell
and where the fuck have you been, ya little freak??
Yes, where in the Blue Blazes have you been Psyche?
WolfMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 05:59 AM   #97
pitseleh

I've been noticing a bit of a resurgence of hip-hop-hating in various threads lately, so I'm bumping this.

Shout-outs to the glorious Demonista!

Hip-hop is not dead.
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #98
Demonista_Ravenesque

*bows down the the great Pitseleh with an offer of fruits and cookies and liquor*

That's right! Hip Hop is not dead!

Punk Is!

Hehe, no, but really, everyone should just learn to appreciate it because there are great hip hop bands out there! Alas, people continue putting it in the same section as meaningless crap.

Just one day, when you have nothing else to do, try searching up an underground band/artist, you won't know about the greatness until you give it the chance to appreciate it, do as I say or I will steal your skin.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 AM   #99
pitseleh

*downs a shot of Hennessy and chases it with a banana*

Thanks, girl!

And yeah, what she said. Just because the hip-hop you hear on MTV and Clear-Channel radio or whatever, is all about bling and booty, doesn't mean that all hip-hop is like that.

I'm even gonna be so kind as to give all you haters (and those of you genuinely curious) a chance to check out what we're talking about by linking you up to two excellent labels here. There are plenty of great artists to download tracks by on these sites, so take a few minutes (or hours) of your day to listen to some real, quality hip-hop.

Definitive Jux

Anticon
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 06:05 AM   #100
Loy

Bump away. I don't care. The only people who hate rap are dipshits, morons, and the inbred.

And now that it's bumped I can't believe I missed so musch of it in the first place.

Horrorgirl-good modern political rap? Now, we can go into the sociodynamics of the Dilated Peoples, of certain Outkast songs, and also some of the works of Nas, Jay-Z, and even Kanye West, but if you're looking for a truly revolutionary brother, look no further than 1 of the 2 greatest lyricists working in music today, Mos Def, aka "the most beautiful man in the music business"

Rockandrose-actually, old-school did have quite a bit of the bling-flashing going on. It was actually Public Enemy who made it uncool to be flashing all them gold chains. Then the bling came back once rap became the music of choice to suburban white kids trying to piss off mom and dad who had outgrown their punk/goth/metal phase, and created a market for this form of self-stereotyping.

Despite all this, there are plenty of dudes and crews worthy of your attention and respect. Jay-Z, Taleb Kwali, Mos Def (also, Mos and Taleb had a project called Black Star for a while), Gang Starr, Kanye West, MF Doom/Zev Love X/King Geedorah/whatever the fuck he calls himself this month, OutKast, Aesop Rock, cLOUDDEAD, the Anticon crew (especially Alias and Doseone), Jurrasic 5, The Alkoholiks, Dilated Peoples, Swollen Members, the Quannum collective, and most anything from anybody connected with the Wu-Tang Clan....off the top of my head,