Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #1
Anndrea

bangs

i want to do Lydia's bangs (from Beetlejuice) myself but i have no idea how to go about it. i do have some scissors that cut zig zag, but i can't guess at what to do from there. any suggestions?

Last edited by Anndrea; 01-09-2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: edited to add more detail
Anndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
Pineapple_Juice

Oh my god, no. Go tell the hairdresser, don't just try to cut straight across with some zig zag scissors. That sounds disastrous.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Shadows_Jukebox

Lydia's are in bangs are in points, but not because they were cut with zig-zag scissors. Once you've gotten a professional to cut your hair, gell them into points like hers and ta-da your done.
Shadows_Jukebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
RBMK1000

I think she's done it with a lot of product. Some very light wax on the tips or something - they can get away with that in theatre and on film.

If you get them cut into points with a precision line (like in v-bangs or bettie bangs, for example) you'll have a very hard time concealing them. You'll have to do them every day, which can be a hassle. Zig zag scissors = no go.

Me, I would tinker with the idea of perhaps getting a fringe and feathering the bottom so you can "clump" it with product (hairspray works for me) into that shape. Work with it before the hair spray sets, and blast it with hot air. Cutting your hair like that, you have more freedom to do other things.

I have v-bangs and they're a hassle to keep straight (erm, pointed?) for an entire day. hope it works out for you!
RBMK1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
Lutia-x

^ Ugh i know what you mean, I finally had to get rid of mine because the maintenance was daily. To be more literal, hourly.
Lutia-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
SiouxsiePernova

It's even worse if your hair is fine.

SiouxsiePernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #7
Pineapple_Juice

V-bangs are stupid.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:06 AM   #8
ThenAgain

Shit, is there anything you like?
ThenAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 PM   #9
KontanKarite

Probably most things that are actually interesting and creative that hasn't been popularized by goth douchebags? For the record, V bangs ARE pretty stupid as a general rule. But so are those bangs that sit heavily right on top of or over eyebrows. Ugh. That makes anyone look hideous.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
honeythorn

Thanks a bunch Kontan I have my "hideous" bangs to hide my really quite large forehead, which has a tendency to burn in the sun even with the application of Factor 50.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #11
Lolly PopMuzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
V-bangs are stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
Probably most things that are actually interesting and creative that hasn't been popularized by goth douchebags? For the record, V bangs ARE pretty stupid as a general rule. But so are those bangs that sit heavily right on top of or over eyebrows. Ugh. That makes anyone look hideous.
Sez you two, nyah. : p
Old 07-27-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
Hearts_Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite View Post
As a 'goth douchebag' I take offense at that comment!

*this post brought to you by Wolf's Blood douches. Look like you're raggin' when you don't feel like shaggin'!*
Hearts_Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 AM   #13
lady_cthulhu

I like the heavy bangs, I think they look cute, especially hovering over soulful eyes a la Emily the Strange. I think RMBK1000 has the right idea about how to do the Lydia bangs though, and feathered bangs look cute even if you don't style them. Too tired in the morning? Just brush down straight and go!
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Pineapple_Juice

Ew. I've seen people just brush their bangs down straight and go, and they end up sitting all flat and weird like a dead animal on their forehead. You need fluff and bounce with bangs too unless you want to seem as though you've a drowned rat on your face.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #15
Tam Li Hua

I recently had my bangs cut short, and now I -hate- them.

Every time my hair is cut short, I like it for about a week, and then I can't stand it.

V-bangs, as with any other style, look good with the properly-shaped face, a great hairstylists, and some good use of great product. Unfortunately, most folks don't know how to do all that properly on their own..
Old 07-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #16
Pineapple_Juice

...Nah. Nah I think it looks retarded on everyone.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #17
Tam Li Hua

Just for that, I may get them myself and send you a pic, Pineapple.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
Lord Whiskerton

For some reason, my bangs have been irritating me. They get greasy really fast, they won't stay in place, they flip out (which I don't want), and sometimes static makes them stick to my forehead or makes them fly out of place. I'm trying to grow them out.

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Saya

I just keep them cut on an angle, and cut with a razor scissors thing (I have no idea how to describe hair cuts, it just makes them thinner) and I use pomade to keep them from flipping.

I tried to keep away from bangs for years, but I need them. My face looks too long without them.

I knew ONE girl who had V bangs and suited her, but she looked like an extra from Battlefield Earth anyway.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Lord Whiskerton

I don't think I can trust myself with a pair of razor scissors. I might end up hacking it all off (or atleast make it extremely thin).

Second Account that I doubt I'll be using: MiladyMalice
Lord Whiskerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #21
lady_cthulhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple_Juice View Post
Ew. I've seen people just brush their bangs down straight and go, and they end up sitting all flat and weird like a dead animal on their forehead. You need fluff and bounce with bangs too unless you want to seem as though you've a drowned rat on your face.
Well yeah, you definitely need fluff but a good cut should give you that. It worked for me anyway, I never needed to style them, just made sure I brushed them into the right shape before they dried. Then again, my hair will pretty much set permanently into any shape it dries into...which is why I never sleep with wet hair...

Lord Whiskerton - your bangs may be a symptom of having an overactive T-zone; perhaps the hair touching your skin is causing it to go into overdrive? A light dusting of translucent powder on your forehead might help in the meantime if you're not doing that already.
lady_cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #22
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Whiskerton View Post
I don't think I can trust myself with a pair of razor scissors. I might end up hacking it all off (or atleast make it extremely thin).
zomg I don't do it myself!

I don't like fluffing my bangs, but the way they're cut on the angle its usually okay. They're getting too heavy now though, hair cut soon!
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #23
LenorePoe

I have side bangs; usually I let my hair go long all the way, but lately I've been doing side bangs and cutting them jaggedly, and it gives my hair the appearance of volume.
LenorePoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #24
OnyxBat

You could cut your bangs normally and then put jell on them to make them zigg zaged... Well that's how lydia's lookS like
OnyxBat is offline   Reply With Quote