Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
reedwar

Another Newby for you to scrutinize

Hello All,
My name is Becca, and I currently work as a telecommunicator in Charlotte, NC. I really don't know what you all would want to know so here is some randomness. I am a not sure what kind of goth I am, but I do know there are certain classifications like most things. I guess part of me is hoping that this forum will assist me in that little problem, seeing that most people use their lives to figure out who they are. If you have any questions about me or are just curious feel free to contact me.
reedwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Smile

Welcome, a small bit of advice, you might want to fill out the questionnaire because quite a few people on this site get pissy when you don't. And about what "kind" of goth you are, it all depends what "goth" means to you. As long as you don't think Gothic is about celebrity gossip and lynching people, be the type of goth you think you are.

92% of kids in America turned to rap.
8% stayed true to rock
If you are part of the 8%, put this in your signature.
Smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #3
delicti

There's only one type of goth; I hope you're in that group. Welcome.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
maggot

I think she means the internet jokes from the 90s, like perkygoths, mopeygoths, etc ><
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot
I think she means the internet jokes from the 90s, like perkygoths, mopeygoths, etc ><
Unfortunately, I think she means the much less funny variant, where they talk about Gypsy Goths, Medieval Goths, Rivet Goths, etc, etc. :-/
Old 09-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #6
Vyvian Blackthorne

G_G I think there are classifications on our culture, that's a different argument, though. I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with that, to be quite honest.

Oh, Welcome, Newb"ie". Hope you learn a bit.

Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Goth Forever
Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 PM   #7
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyvian Blackthorne
[color=DarkOrchid]G_G I think there are classifications on our culture, that's a different argument, though. I don't really see how anyone could have a problem with that, to be quite honest.
I've got no problems when people use the term casually in our culture, but when people use the terms to "window shop" for their identity, it kind of irks me.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Vyvian Blackthorne

Gah. That does for me as well. Only we should declare that, not those without authority. They do it just for a gimmick, like Late Show/Window Shop esque.

OOoOoOoOoOoOOhhhhh bitch uses big words.

Goth Forever
Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
zeronegativeplus

What in the hell does mopey goth mean?
zeronegativeplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeronegativeplus
What in the hell does mopey goth mean?
Stereotypical downtrodden goth, quietly writing poetry in the corner of the club and not talking to anyone. Opposite being perkygoth - outgoing, enthusiastic, energetic, etc.

I always found these labels to be silly, as most people can be either depending on their mood and energy level, so being boxed in as one or the other serves no real purpose.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM   #11
msr.iaidoka

Hey all,

I happen to know this particular newbie. Herein lies the confusion: her previous exposure to anything blatantly labeled "goth" comes from the mallgoths in her small hometown. As you can imagine, this has lead to an early misconception about what is and is not "goth." Since this is, in essence, an undefinable term and more of a case of "it takes one to know one" I have been trying to teach her about the various subcultures that cling to the label.

Peace,

Matt
msr.iaidoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
††BlackRose††

Welcome reedwar!!! I'm sure you will learn a lot from the many people here so don't worry about it.
††BlackRose†† is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM   #13
biohazard

Welcome to the boards.

It is the first time I hear about classifications. As for those, I would probably fit mopey goth better than perky goth.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #14
delicti

Quote:
Originally Posted by msr.iaidoka
I happen to know this particular newbie. Herein lies the confusion: her previous exposure to anything blatantly labeled "goth" comes from the mallgoths in her small hometown.
Ok, I'll play nice. Please tell her that she should really just try to be herself, and the goth thing will come naturally if that's where she's going. Otherwise, it'd just hold her back, and ultimately who she is on the inside is the most important identity she has, anyways.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
reedwar

Hello again,
First off I would like to apologize for my ignorance. I did not intend to offend anyone by speaking of the "kind of goth" I am. I am attempting to discover what falls into the different subcultures and see where I fit.
As for the questionnaire:
1. I work as a telecommunicator, and my hobbies include excessive reading, playing the flute, and ballroom dancing.
2. I am from Charlotte, NC
3. My favorite author would have to be Steven King. I love how you can get lost in his writing, and how you can see how he has grown over the years
4. My all time favorite film has to be Natural Born Killers
5. This question fits amazingly well because I am about to get married, and we are using Walk the Line. But we are not sure if we want the Johnny Cash version or the Live verson. Other than that it will be a lot of classic rock, and some swing music.
6. I want the Stones and Jimmy Hendricks Played at my funeral.
7. If I have to die I would like to implode.
8. No Casket just burn my ass.
9. Pajama Pants and an over sized tee shirt!
10. I don't miss being a little kid, I never really liked being a child.
11. I do not Know what my favorite band is, but I do really like the Rolling Stones, and Nickleback.
12. I am currently finishing up a bachelors in Criminal Justice.
13. I joined because I thought it would be an interesting way to educate myself in the culture, and I like to meet new people.
14. And yes I am female
Old 09-12-2007, 08:57 AM   #16
LadyLucretia

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedwar
Hello again,
11. I do not Know what my favorite band is, but I do really like the Rolling Stones, and Nickleback.
Have you ever listened to goth music, such as Bauhaus or Siouxsie and the Banshees? I ask because if you really love Nickelback, you probably won't like goth music, since goth music is generally less accessible and more avante garde (at least compared to pop music). I would give those bands I mentioned a listen, because the music really should be your starting point for exploring any subculture.
LadyLucretia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
reedwar

No I have never heard of those bands, but I will be sure to listen to them. Thanks for the information.