Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Literature
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Literature Please come visit. People get upset, write poetry about it, and post it here. Sometimes we also talk about books.

Old 12-02-2005, 03:13 PM   #76
Dark_love_2008

Talking Stephen King

I'm only sorry if anyone DOESN'T like Stehpen King. I personally can't put the man's books down. Right now I'm on "The Drawing Of The Three" It's Great!!
Dark_love_2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 05:18 PM   #77
Katshin88@Gmail.com

Don't worry, you're not the only one who likes King. I read Carrie, Cujo, and Pet Semetary.
Katshin88@Gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:52 AM   #78
Dark Taco Mess

No way everyone! It's gotta be BJ Worth, The Grace Project. Now there's a seriously badass book! I read it's the first story he's ever written too, but I find that hard to believe
Dark Taco Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #79
Manimal

I've always been a fan of Harlan Ellison. I don't think I read anything of his that I didn't like. And he's always been a cynical asshole and I dig that too
Manimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:51 AM   #80
ghostposts

I like some of the old authors, like Steinbeck and Pearl S. Buck. Lewis Caroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the looking Glass. The Amber Chronicles and the Xanth series. Pet Cemetary, The Shining, The Green Mile, It and The Stand were good. Didn't like Tommyknockers.

The Exorcist 2 was great, (Loved the Carp scene), and our own Cussedness' Dark Brothers of the Light series rocks. Very visceral, dark but there's a lot of hope and love in it.

Ramsey Clark, the old Paul Williams books, a few of Graham Masterson's early books, The first three Necroscope books, Lovecraft- in my wordy moods, Andre Norton, Paul Kane's "Funny Bones", and the new zombie anthology by D.L. Snell and Elijah Hall. It's out by Permuted Press.

Australia's Shadowed Realms ezine has a beautiful collection of flash called Shadow Box. Wonderful art. And I miss the old magazine, Quietus. They only put out three issues, but the stories and artwork were haunting.

Stan Lee has some great stuff. So does Dark Horse. Oh, did anyone ever read the Badger comics? They were out in the eighties.
ghostposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:59 AM   #81
TwistedKitsune

Not quite sure if I'd classify her as badass, but Jaqueline Carey just sort of rocks my world. The Kushiel books are just -yummy- *is all excited for the fourth one due out in June of 2006*

pssst, Morrigan, tokidoki shashin wa ii...
TwistedKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #82
~Nix Nightingale~

I can't decide. I like so many different ones. It's like trying to pick a favourite song of all songs. For me that is impossible.
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #83
Soul_Immortal

When I was a kid, it was R.L. Stine =)

Now, there are many to choose from.

*Eyes TStone, E_E and Cussedness affectionately*
Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #84
~Nix Nightingale~

R.L. Stine was cool! Goosebumps, right? I used to really like the "Scary stories to tell in the Dark" Series... It then graduated to the likes of Poe, Clive Barker, and H.P. Lovecraft.
I broke myself, shattered, tied a bow around every piece, you'll love the eyes. Have they always shown so vacantly? The more I show the less you'll want to know. I can't stop the insects that are feeding, pull the needles from beneath my skin.... ~ A Fire Inside ~
~Nix Nightingale~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #85
Dr. Faust

I think for the Vampire genre it has to be Nancy Collins. In regards to fantasy it has to be Terry Brooks. Im not sure about erotica. Certainly most popular erotica, like those Penthouse Letters I suspect are fake, and anyway I can certainly write better erotic stories than that. Now horror and erotica? The Hot Blooded series!
For Werewolves it has to be the book Blood and Chocolate.
Dr. Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM   #86
Alain

William Golding, Lord of the Flies

Gunter Grass, The Tin Drum

Oscar Wilde... everything.

Stefan Gagne... *swoons at the badassedness*

And for a fantasy that's not online, Hugh Cook. So badass he writes awful fantasy, just so that he can take the piss. (Translation of Australian: He deliberately writes poorly to embellish his parodies of cliches in fantasy) Read the Walrus and the Warwolf if curious. But be warned, it's pretty awful.
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:33 PM   #87
Katshin88@Gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain
William Golding, Lord of the Flies
tsk tsk tsk...
They always have eat the fat kids don't they?

Sorry that ruined the book for some you.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #88
rockandrose

Yeah, and so does Nicole Richie.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:35 AM   #89
Katshin88@Gmail.com

I think that book should have been in supermarket where the toilette paper section is because the only use it probably has is to wipe ass. I incluse that Paris Hilton chick as well.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:18 PM   #90
Infiniitivi

H.p. Lovecraft

Is anyone else here a fan of Lovecraft?
Infiniitivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #91
katsumy

No... Not me, sorry.
could come true some day soon...

* Katsumy *
katsumy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 AM   #92
Needled

I read the book on Paris Hilton. Um, i will warn everyone else: Don't waste your time reading this. But you probably already knew that. My favorite authors would have to be Stephen King and Anne Rice. King, moreso, I remember when I read my first book by him. I was in the 4th grade, and it was Misery. One of my favorites!
Needled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:06 PM   #93
bedlam babe

I read ALL the old V.C Andrew's series something like thirty.
My favorite of them is Flowers In the Attic.
bedlam babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 02:21 PM   #94
PhilSmith

I don't know if I have a single favourite author. As far as fantasists go (sorry, Cuss!) it'd have to be Roger Zelazny (especially Damnation Alley, Jack of Shadows and Lord of Light) and Michael Moorcock. I don't know if Mervyn Peake's stuff could really be classed as fantasy; it's more imaginative than fantastic. Terry Pratchett never fails to entertain me. Occasionally I like a bit of H.P. Lovecraft or Clark Ashton Smith.
PhilSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:08 AM   #95
apefist

John Irving. He wrote the greatest American novel ever written: A Prayer for Owen Meany. He was protege to Kurt Vonnegut as a student.
apefist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 05:58 AM   #96
butterflyfearie

Salman Rushdie, Satanic Verses is funny as hell!
butterflyfearie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:24 AM   #97
JuliaGaltic

I have a lot of them but the first one that popped into my head was Haruki Murakami. First book I read by him was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
Old 01-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #98
butterflyfearie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xnguela
Can I call you buttfear for short?
I've been called far worse things, but it does make it sound as though I have a dibilitating fear of arses/asses. Hell, call me whatever
butterflyfearie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #99
Godslayer Jillian

Anyone knows about Dan Simmons?
He writes science fiction, but not like star wars; he does have a degree in physics and astronomy, so he does know what he's talking about
His Hyperion saga has such a mythology behind it. When you end the books, there's still so many questions you will never know, but that only increases its beauty.
He changed my life. If you like sci-fi, I reccomend with all my heart the Hyperion saga. If you only want to read another book, read The Hollow Man. If you like terror, read Song of Kali or Summer of Night. If you like Greek mythology, read Ilium and its sequel Olympos

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 10:22 AM   #100
Surgeon Méchant De Sang

Location: In some desolate wooded area with the rest of the trailer trash.
I have many favorites, so it's really hard to choose from, but I've really come to enjoy Elizabeth Wurtzel. She's very real, and very raw. She brings you straight into her world, and that's what I like about her. You feel like her her experience is your experience.
I have finished Bitch, but I have yet to finish Prozac Nation. All in all, I think she's the best author that I've actually read in quite some time.
Surgeon Méchant De Sang is offline   Reply With Quote