Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
CptSternn

Darwin In The News Again

I thought this was kind of ironic. Both articles appeared on the same day in the news...

The Vatican claims Darwin's theory of evolution is compatible with Christianity

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...istianity.html

The Vatican has admitted that Charles Darwin's theory of evolution should not have been dismissed and claimed it is compatible with the Christian view of Creation.

AND

63% - Reject Darwin's Theory of Evolution

http://tinyurl.com/b6n3fq

In the 150 years since he published his groundbreaking On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, and the 200 years since the date of his birth celebrated this week, Charles Darwin has failed to convince the majority of Americans of the validity of his theories; an August 2006 survey by the Pew Research Center’s Forum on Religion & Public Life and the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, found that 63% of Americans say they believe that humans and other animals have either always existed in their present form or have evolved over time under the guidance of a supreme being while only 26% say that life evolved solely through processes such as natural selection. A similar Pew Research Center poll, released in August 2005, found that 64% of Americans support teaching creationism alongside evolution in the classroom.

Of course, Catholics are a small minority in America compared to 'evangelicals' (aka protestants).

Its seems weird to see half of Christians embrace science while at the same time other Christians who have made the choice to forge their own path away from an organised path reject science.

This in some ways reminds me of the current debate going on about global warming. Those who choose to follow the republican party and say it was a myth, now find themselves either having to follow the new party mantra, which back tracks on all of that, or forge on with their own belief system which is not supported by any mainstream party.

Either way its pretty shocking that 63% of Americans don't believe in science, and cite religion, their own personal sects which are usually grouped to where they live as the reason they don't believe in science.
CptSternn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #2
Drake Dun

http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...O_GRAPHIC.html

We beat Turkey!
Drake Dun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
Tam Li Hua

Dude, this is been happening for a while now; Christians accepting the idea of evolution isn't really news. XD

Also, evangelicals and protestants aren't the same thing. At all. A protestant is someone who is Christian but not Catholic. An evangelical is a bit more radical than your average protestant denomination.

Just needed to point that out.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #4
Albert Mond

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam Li Hua
Dude, this is been happening for a while now; Christians accepting the idea of evolution isn't really news.
I only read the first part, but my impression is that the news is the Vatican making a public statement on it.
Albert Mond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Tam Li Hua

True, the Vatican making a statement -is- news, but the idea that protestants [including evangelicals] have differing views on evolution -isn't- news.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Dude, this is been happening for a while now; Christians accepting the idea of evolution isn't really news. XD
Isn't the point of this that more than half DON'T?

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Tam Li Hua

I guess, but even with that, it's still not news, Jilly.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Godslayer Jillian

The same day the Vatican, the most powerful religious institution of the world, accepts evolution, it still turns out that in America more than half of believers can't accept science.
I don't understand why you don't understand the point of this.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #9
JCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
I don't understand why you don't understand the point of this.
... It's Tam. I don't understand why you don't understand why she doesn't understand the point of this.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
knightmare

I think there will always be conflict between religion and science due to the focus on empiricism. While science has come a long way, Christians will looks at concepts science has not figured out yet and attribute them to a higher power such as God.
Also, there is evidence supporting the Bible and there is evidence that seems to contradict the Bible.
So faith does have an important part in your beliefs
knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #11
Tam Li Hua

The Vatican may support it, but how many Catholics actually support the Vatican's decision? That would have been more in context [and far more interesting to read] than for Cpt to go out of his way to tell us what we've known for years: most protestants don't like the idea of evolution.

Seriously, is -anyone- surprised by such statistics? Honestly? [Keep in mind that "annoyance" and even "anger" isn't the same as "surprise".]
Old 02-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
knightmare

Not all Catholics actually care about the Vatican's decision, and the Vatican's decision has no effect on Protestants.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
The Vatican may support it, but how many Catholics actually support the Vatican's decision?
Only the ones who abide by the doctrines of their own religion, which state that papal infallibility is absolute. In an ideologically shifting world, the fact that they are not insignificant in number doesn't take away from the importance of this announcement.
All Shall Be Judged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #14
knightmare

YAY! Everyone's ignoring me!

I must be so GOTHIC!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #15
Tam Li Hua

I never said the Vatican's announcement wasn't important, Judged.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #16
Tam Li Hua

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightmare
YAY! Everyone's ignoring me!

I must be so GOTHIC!
Well, you said pretty much the same thing as me, only condensed and easier to read.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:01 PM   #17
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSternn
the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, found that 63% of Americans say they believe that humans and other animals have either always existed in their present form or have evolved over time under the guidance of a supreme being while only 26% say that life evolved solely through processes such as natural selection. A similar Pew Research Center poll, released in August 2005, found that 64% of Americans support teaching creationism alongside evolution in the classroom.
Quote:
Either way its pretty shocking that 63% of Americans don't believe in science, and cite religion, their own personal sects which are usually grouped to where they live as the reason they don't believe in science.
Yeah, Data can be pretty shocking when you manipulate it to say something else.

See that bold I added for emphasis? The data says that 63% of the people who answered the poll simply don't take a completely atheistic view of evolution. It's a huge step to take to then use that to make the statement: "63% of Americans don't believe in science". That's like me using the fact that I know you to claim: "100% of expatriat Americans don't believe in logic."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #18
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
I never said the Vatican's announcement wasn't important, Judged.
You said it wasn't news. News is information which is in the public interest. This is an interesting development. Maybe I misunderstood you?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
knightmare

I disagree with Judge's assertion that news is information in the public interest. All I see in the news are older men and women debating about the stimulus package. It would be more in the public's interest if they were both doing hot things. That is a true stimulus package.

Thank you for your kind attention
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Tam Li Hua

The Vatican's announcement is news. The rest of the things that Sternn mentioned aren't. Or, rather, it's not new news.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #21
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
The Vatican's announcement is news. The rest of the things that Sternn mentioned aren't. Or, rather, it's not new news.
"Christians accepting the idea of evolution isn't really news."

Catholics: not to be confused with Christians.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
Despanan

Sterrn has the particular habit of finding whatever news story happens to be floating by, and then attempting to re-package it as his own brand of senseless propaganda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM   #23
Tam Li Hua

Catholics are considered Christians.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #24
All Shall Be Judged

Quote:
Catholics are considered Christians.
Oh, just admit that broad terminology ignores the finer points of religions. You know it, I know it, and the Pope would risk Hell over it.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #25
Geoluhread

La la la
lalalalalalalalalala
ignore me
"I've an idea. Why don't we play a little game. Let's pretend that we're human beings, and that we're actually alive. Just for a while. What do you say? Let's pretend we're human. Oh, brother, it's such a long time since I was with anyone who got enthusiastic about anything."
Jack Osborne

add me on
Geoluhread is offline   Reply With Quote