Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Whining
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Whining This forum is for general whining. Please post all suicide threats, complaints about significant others, and statements about how unfair school is to this board.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
deafasadoornail

Public Service Announcement!

If you really hate teachers, don't ever have kids. I swear, dealing with them from this angle is even worse.

I am so full of anger and loathing towards my kids' school, the teachers, the admin, etc. that I can barely be civil anymore. My oldest son has a slight developmental delay and they have pushed and harassed him all year; back-to-back tests and projects, constant classroom testing, calling me for behavior problems (for nothing -- stuff like saying "butt" on the playground), and suggesting that I do something to get him into therapy this summer.

He doesn't need therapy, really. He has a minor social delay that is barely even disruptive in class, but the school just has issues after issues.

The next person who says something, I'm going to fucking kill them. I'm on the PTA and our last meeting is this coming Tuesday, and I'm just praying I can get through it without spewing venom or physical violence.

For you younger people, sorry about my old fart complaining but I thought I might spare you the same kind of pain.
deafasadoornail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Social delay you say. Does he seem to also have an obcessive interest with somthing.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Social delay you say. Does he seem to also have an obcessive interest with somthing.
Nope. He did when he was younger -- trains -- and we had him tested for autism, but it was inconclusive. Our best guess is on the very very low end of the autistic spectrum, but without any of the repetitive behaviors or obsessions. He occasionally talks out in class, misses nonverbal cues, and tends to go on and on when speaking. It is very easily managed, and he does have friends and is outgoing.

I see my job as getting him through the difficult school years with the minimum amount of damage to his self. This year has been crappy for the both of us. :-(
Old 06-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Vako

Whatever you do, don't let them stick him in "special ed classes". If he is having academic problems, then get him in outside tutoring, if you can afford it. Special ed classes will remove him from the social situations and classroom instruction that will actually help him progress. Letting the school put your son into a class with a bunch of kids whos' delays or "disability" are worse than his will not be as beneficial. I actually do agree with the counseling part, but make sure you and your son choose the counselor.

Being that angry at the school staff is not going to help you. Get a punching bag or something.
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
mrs.wes straker

I totally agree with this complaint. Teachers want to babysit robots, not mold children. So many of them a lazy, unskilled, frustrated, and overworked. (I have a five year old)
Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
Renatus

Yeah you do not want to end up in special ed. It does not help in the least and if anything will make him feel terrible about himself. It will make him really think himself a freak in a bad way. I say this from personal past and presant experience.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Old 06-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #7
Splintered

You have my best wishes. That seems about as much as I can give you.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
Valerius

I used to have problems from kindergarten up until grade six. Grades were low, I had a hard time learning and coping. My mom didn't know a thing about why I was having a hard time, and she even suspected for a time that I had a low IQ until she took me to a therapist and had me checked. That's when they found out I had dysgraphia, and it hindered my writing and learning capabilities. So, I was taken out of regular schooling and brought to a school that specialized in 'special' children. And no, my classmates weren't retarded and were pretty smart, but each had their quirks such as ADHD, slight autism and dyslexia among other things.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:05 PM   #9
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splintered
You have my best wishes. That seems about as much as I can give you.
Aww, that helps more than you might think. Thanks.

Quote:
Yeah you do not want to end up in special ed. It does not help in the least and if anything will make him feel terrible about himself. It will make him really think himself a freak in a bad way. I say this from personal past and presant experience.
That's why we have him in this school. There's no special ed, and they have a few other kids who have similar issues (actually worse in a couple cases). The small class size helps keep the situation manageable, but the teachers still seem to find reasons to complain.

Quote:
I totally agree with this complaint. Teachers want to babysit robots, not mold children. So many of them a lazy, unskilled, frustrated, and overworked. (I have a five year old)
Makes you wonder how we survived the experience, doesn't it?

Quote:
Being that angry at the school staff is not going to help you. Get a punching bag or something.
Well, it IS the whining forum. But that's not a bad idea either....*eyes Vako thoughtfully*
Old 06-07-2007, 07:16 PM   #10
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafasadoornail
Well, it IS the whining forum. But that's not a bad idea either....*eyes Vako thoughtfully*
Because if you take it out on the staff, they may take it out in your son in school by mistreating him.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
Seraphynth

What's so wrong with ESE classes? I was never in one, but my mom worked as an aide in ESE classes until last year. A lot of my friends and boyfriends were in ESE throughout my high school years.
I loved the teachers there, they were always so friendly and they really helped the kids. I never heard an ESE kid complain about the teachers.
ESE gives them that comfort zone and extra attention that some might need. Teachers also tend to be more understanding and they work with the kids. They're also willing to work with the parents in an acceptable manner (as in not calling you every time your son says "butt").
Usually the kids have classes with the regular kids but also have a special class in the ESE building (or wherever the ESE classes take place). There's also usually a special room for them to go during tests if they wish where they can either just do their tests in total silence (how I envied them for that) or get extra help that they wouldn't be able to receive in class.

I think it's something you should consider doing for your son. It could be beneficial to him, more so than the teachers he currently has...
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:21 PM   #12
Renatus

Ese???????????

Old 06-08-2007, 12:21 AM   #13
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
Ese???????????
I just looked it up. It stands for "exceptional student education".
Old 06-08-2007, 01:24 AM   #14
Seraphynth

ESE are those "special ed" classes...They're given the term exceptional student education because it encompasses any learning disability and gifted students, which in Florida is "exceptional," playing on the positive connotation of that word.
I think this website describes it best: http://www.firn.edu/doe/commhome/ese-home.htm

I'm wondering now if it may be a Florida only thing.
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #15
deafasadoornail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphynth
ESE are those "special ed" classes...They're given the term exceptional student education because it encompasses any learning disability and gifted students, which in Florida is "exceptional," playing on the positive connotation of that word.
I think this website describes it best: http://www.firn.edu/doe/commhome/ese-home.htm

I'm wondering now if it may be a Florida only thing.
That sounds great, but it's a state by state thing. We don't have that here. The closest we come is the program I went to in high school for deaf kids, where we had some self-contained classes and a lot of mainstreaming also. It was the best of both worlds.

Actually, I like the school he is in now for academics. They got him reading above grade level when I couldn't even get him to pick up a book. I just wish they'd cut him a TEENY bit more slack behaviorwise. My mom worked in special ed classes when I was in elementary school, and these kids are severely disabled and mostly not able to even participate in a normal class so it's obviously a big difference.

And the butt thing is just ridiculous. My three-year-old says "owie butt" when he gets hurt -- it's not a bad word! I'm hoping that next year's teacher will be a little more sensible. It's only one more week until summer....