Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #276
james"bloody tears"

thank you ben and to be honest there where times i considerd throwing in the towel but just like i do to defend from the goth sub-culture i stood by fandom and defended it through thick and thin.

love me or hate me i wont change

the eyes are the windows to the soul, are you afraid of what you see?
james"bloody tears" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #277
paleghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by james"bloody tears" View Post
damn gone one day and had like ten post to read(didnt count tbh).
pale why dont you like the term? just wondering?
It's not one it means per say, it's the word itself. It's like Chocoholic or Guesstimate, it's not a real word it's just two real words that have been welded together to make a fake word. I don't know, I'm kind of an English nazi when it comes to that stuff.
paleghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #278
MollyMac

James, stop defending goth. We really don't need the help.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 PM   #279
Despanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by james"bloody tears" View Post
thank you ben and to be honest there where times i considerd throwing in the towel but just like i do to defend from the goth sub-culture i stood by fandom and defended it through thick and thin.
That's stupid as hell. "Goth" and/or any "fandom" is at best never more than an abstract idea agreed upon by a certain amount of popular consensus, ie: it is only ever the sum of the people involved, and can never be anything more.

Sticking by/defending a sub-culture through "think and thin", regardless of what is actually going on in said subculture is as dumb as log-cabin republicans remaining in, and supporting, a party that hates them and wants to strip them of their rights, just because it once was the Party of Lincoln.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #280
paleghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMac View Post
James, stop defending goth. We really don't need the help.
I'm inclined to agree.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #281
werewolffan98

Well i'm a furry and i feel if people have a problem against furries,then they can kiss my butt.
werewolffan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:49 AM   #282
Ben Lahnger

I'm imagining that would have been funnier if you'd said "they can kiss my furry butt."

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #283
paleghost

Once again I'm inclined to agree
Old 01-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #284
Tam Li Hua

I know I'll probably get flack for this, but I find the whole furry thing a little creepy.

I don't know why, and it's none of my business if someone wants to dress up like a fox and go to conventions or...whatever. If that's your thing, then good luck to you, but if you dress up in your fur suit and come around me, don't be surprised if I avoid you. [I also have always had a problem with folks dressed up as clowns, Santa Claus, Mickey Mouse, or any other imaginary creature. Bugs the crap out of me.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolffan98 View Post
Well i'm a furry and i feel if people have a problem against furries,then they can kiss my butt.
No thanks...
Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #285
paleghost

I can't speak for the furries but that's not the offensive, as long as you aren't like "it's wrong and you shouldn't do it" then you aren't offending anyone...at least not me.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:49 PM   #286
MollyMac

My argument is that he defends everything so poorly, he may as well be against it. It's like he's a plant. In both the double-agent and vegetative sense.

No issues with furries, just wonder why you come to a goth site to defend them.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #287
james"bloody tears"

tam many out there find us creepy its ok, dont worry since you asked nice i wont go near you in costume

love me or hate me i wont change

the eyes are the windows to the soul, are you afraid of what you see?
james"bloody tears" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #288
Mir

James is tha man!!!! A furry one.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #289
Despanan

Quote:
My argument is that he defends everything so poorly, he may as well be against it. It's like he's a plant. In both the double-agent and vegetative sense.

It's like if I went to a site about cars, asked if there were any goths there, and started trying to defend gothic subculture against the perils of people who barely gave a shit in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger
I have chugged more than ten epic boners.
Despanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #290
Mir

You guys care too much.
Mir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:24 PM   #291
PortraitOfSanity

I've never denied that. I don't even care that I don't deny that I don't care.

I'm don't deny that I'm confused...

I don't hate you. Saying I hate you would be like saying I hate a dog with no legs trying to cross a busy freeway.
-Mr. Filth
PortraitOfSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:50 PM   #292
werewolffan98

Quote:

Well i'm a furry.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:46 AM   #293
KissMeDeadly

I don't know if I'm a furry, or just a furry fan. I love anthropomorphic art and I have a shit ton of true blue furry friends. I don't fursuit and have no interest in doing so, I also don't really care for yiff or all that jazz. I'm at the level of tree hugger though that I would give up my nuts to be an anthropomorphic raccoon or something. Furry literature also sucks generally, and by that I mean literature written by furries, not just literature that furries love (Watership Down, Animal Farm, etc.).

If he were dressed more ToTaLLy GAWFIX it would be the best thing ever.
KissMeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #294
MollyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by werewolffan98 View Post
Well i'm a furry.
Oh, hell, I can't argue with that logic. That just made the whole thread make sense, thank you. It's like the puzzle piece that went missing for years has been found and order is restored.

WTF does that have to do with anything?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:27 PM   #295
werewolffan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMeDeadly View Post
I don't know if I'm a furry, or just a furry fan. I love anthropomorphic art and I have a shit ton of true blue furry friends. I don't fursuit and have no interest in doing so, I also don't really care for yiff or all that jazz. I'm at the level of tree hugger though that I would give up my nuts to be an anthropomorphic raccoon or something. Furry literature also sucks generally, and by that I mean literature written by furries, not just literature that furries love (Watership Down, Animal Farm, etc.).

If he were dressed more ToTaLLy GAWFIX it would be the best thing ever.
Well this is a commission sketch that someone did today of my character.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:47 PM   #296
Solumina

You paid for that shit? Really?
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #297
werewolffan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina View Post
You paid for that shit? Really?
yeah,over paypal. of course later on i will look for someone who can make a head,hands and feet.

I already got the tail.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #298
Wintermute

So, I just joined these forums, browsed a few categories, read a few interesting topics here or there, wandered into general, and looked through a few pages of posts before I came back to this thread because...

...A topic about furries on a goth forum? Interesting. Okay, sure. Why not. I feel like making a contribution here.

I've been called a furry by quite a few people who are familiar with the sub-culture. My main 'fursona' is a white dragon. I'll go ahead and say I've been a furry for... several years now I suppose, when I first realized what it was back in college. Unless it's like being homosexual, in which case I might have been born furry. I wonder if there's a goth gene too. Also, I'm not gay, but I digress.

I say 'realized' because I've always liked anthropomorphic characters. Even as a kid I loved Warner Bros. cartoons like Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck (especially, love his cynical attitude), 'The Animaniacs', and others. Some of my favorite movies as a child were Disney movies with anthropomorphic characters, like 'Robin Hood', and 'The Fox and the Hound'. When I got into role-playing games during college, I gravitated towards anthropomorphic sub-races for my characters. I can't really explain the interest, I'm sure it probably has some psychological explanation having to do with my childhood.

When I learned about the full extent of the sub-culture (at the time my interests in it were strictly limited to the art styles associated with it), I was rather astonished and frankly repulsed. Someone mentioned 'zoophilia' - that's more-or-less what my reaction amounted to as well concerning the sexuality. Honestly, I wasn't comfortable with the idea of 'fur-suiting' either after I saw a certain HBO special about furries that was so terrible I felt ashamed to be caught watching it.

But, I was going through an exploratory phase (I still am, truth be told), discovering my true identity and aesthetic at the time, so I forced myself to give it a try. In fact, that was how I felt about the goth sub-culture as well. I was a very repressed person in those days.

Eventually, after meeting a large number of people claiming to be furries and really into the scene, I got more and more accustomed to it. I won't lie either, the stereotypes ring true for a lot of the people I knew. I spent a lot of my time on Second Life, and signed up for a few forums - I even participated in FurryMUCK, a text-based MMORPG. I was starting to get disgusted with it after awhile, precisely because I met so many 'attention whores' and people who, frankly, seemed like they had no depth whatsoever.

I fluctuated back and forth between emphasizing my 'furriness' or my love of gothic aesthetics because the friends I had at the time were exclusive to one scene or the other. Rarely would I encounter a furry who was into goth, or vica-versa. Understandably so, they generally clash thematically. I used to think they clashed philosophically as well, until I just stopped taking my interests so seriously and retreated into my own world, caring less and less about how people interpreted or judged the consistency of my image.

At about that time I was also getting highly involved in the occult, and started practicing chaos magick when I found out about it. Previously I had been dabbling in witchcraft (wicca), hermeticism, and shamanism, but I was having a hard time understanding some of Crowley's writings or resonating with traditional shamanic methods. This was holding me back until I embraced chaos magick, and that led to me basically absorbing everything I read and not giving a shit anymore, which consequently led to me absorbing everything I was experiencing and not giving a shit anymore.

I'll conclude on the result. The brain 'knows' through association. Who really gives a shit what people associate with what as long as they're not fucking with you. If they're fucking with you, then by all means, respond however you feel programmed to respond. Through all of my experiences with goth and furry sub-cultures, and the occult, (not even listing all the other crazy shit I've been exposed to that's had a dramatic influence on my life) I've learned one important thing: never take your shit so seriously that you let it become a weakness. Really, it doesn't matter. Goth, furry, or just brain-washed robot worker who studies hard and eats his greens and never swears. It doesn't make a difference. We all end up in the same place. Life is too fucking short. Just explore shit. Don't reject any part of it. Assimilate what you hate, and dislike, and find the beauty in it. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time.

Sorry if the length of this post offends anyone. To those of you with the attention span to actually read it, my gratitude, and I hope it entertains your interests.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:42 AM   #299
paleghost

Sorry winter I tried to read it I really did...but I couldn't make it, ADHD and all that. Could you or someone bottom line it for me?
Old 01-17-2010, 05:47 AM   #300
Wintermute

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleghost View Post
Sorry winter I tried to read it I really did...but I couldn't make it, ADHD and all that. Could you or someone bottom line it for me?
People consider me a furry and a goth, and trying to reconcile one with the other has taught me the following:

"Life is too fucking short. Just explore shit. Don't reject any part of it. Assimilate what you hate, and dislike, and find the beauty in it. Otherwise, you're just wasting your time."
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote