Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
Puppet Master

Steam Punk and Neo-Victorianism

Mostly my dress sense allready can be called slightly steampunk (my main thing is an old british railway long coat of my grandads), pocket watch, top hat, and somtimes a gas mask.

www.myspace.com/nykylaihellray has a pic on what i mean.

Anyway I was wondering how have others attempted the steam punk look.

Or if there are any images of steampunk fashion that u know of.
Puppet Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Somber Illusions

Never heard of it.
Somber Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

I just researched it a little.
It's cool.
It's looks like out of an avantgarde futuristic anime. I think that will be my style after getting out of high school.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #4
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction which came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. It concerns works set in the past, or a world resembling the past, in which modern technological paradigms occurred earlier in history, but were accomplished via the science already present in that time period.
Steampunk is something that greatly interests me, as well. A good mainstream example of steampunk themes is, in my opinion, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Personally, I go for a bit more modern look-- early to mid 20th century, vaguely in the film noir style. I'd like to get my hands on some steampunk or neo-Victorian clothing, if possible, as the pure Victorian look is not up my alley.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:23 PM   #5
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Because of the popularity of steampunk with people in the goth, punk and Industrial subcultures, there is a growing movement towards establishing steampunk as a culture and lifestyle.

The most immediate form of steampunk subculture is the community of fans surrounding the genre. Others move beyond this, attempting to adopt a "steampunk" aesthetic through fashion, home decor and even music. This movement may also be (more accurately) described as "Neo-Victorianism", which is the amalgamation of Victorian aesthetic principles with modern sensibilities and technologies.

"Steampunk" fashion has no set guidelines, but tends to synthesize punk, goth and rivet styles as filtered through the Victorian era. This may include Mohawks and extensive piercings with corsets and tattered petticoats, Victorian suits with goggles and boots with large soles and buckles or straps, and the ****** fashion and Elegant Gothic Aristocrat styles.

"Steampunk" music is even less defined, and tends to apply to any modern musicians whose music evokes a feeling of the Victorian era or steampunk. This may include such diverse artists as Abney Park, Vernian Process, Rasputina, Thomas Dolby, Paul Roland, The Dresden Dolls, Sarah Brightman, Emilie Autumn, and Jill Tracy.
I thought that a bit more information on the actual (pseudo-) subculture would be appreciated.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
Sanctus Dei

Sarah Brightman?? Seriously?? Interesting...

She is best 'Christine' of all who have attempted the role... an amazing voice... but the definition of steampunk? Odd.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:28 PM   #7
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctus Dei
Sarah Brightman?? Seriously?? Interesting...

She is best 'Christine' of all who have attempted the role... an amazing voice... but the definition of steampunk? Odd.
You really liked her that much? I liked her voice but I kind of thought that she looked kind of like a deer caught in headlights
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Kettu

can sky captain and the world of tomorrow be filed under steampunk?
Kettu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #9
happy_dude

Location: I'm underneath the sink, now what do you think, living under my sink?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettu
can sky captain and the world of tomorrow be filed under steampunk?
I believe it would be, but yet again there isn't much steam power present.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:57 AM   #10
Godslayer Jillian

So, I was thinking of something to make a coat look kind of "steam punk" and I came up with an idea:
Plating the elbows and shoulders with iron.
What do you think?
There was also the idea of sewing a light chain in spirals into the arms of the coat, but I don't think that'd look good.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
LittleMissTaxidermy

I don't dress like it, but my friend does. He goes all out with the walking stick, velvet coat, and top hat. I always liked how elaborate steampunk and victoriana looks.

I think many of the outfits from the movie "Wild Wild West" could be filed under steampunk, and like Circle V said, "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen."
LittleMissTaxidermy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
Sanctus Dei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
You really liked her that much? I liked her voice but I kind of thought that she looked kind of like a deer caught in headlights

Well no. I said, "Best Christine", "Amazing Voice", and "Not Steampunk" but don't recall saying "I'm enthralled with every physical and mental aspect of her being".

*shrug*
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:36 AM   #13
Kari

same here, never heard of it (so much for a fashion career) but the gasmask thing,..goes a little bit too far in my words, oh well thats just my opinion.
Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 03:07 AM   #14
spookypurple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
I kind of thought that she looked kind of like a deer caught in headlights

Pardon me while I pick myself up off the floor...

Ohhh, thanks for that one, Solumina.

Excellent...

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 09:38 PM   #15
mandy goes to art school

I've never heard of the subculture, but I do try to add victorian style into my appearance. It's very easy right now as it was popular in mainstream clothing last fall.

(sarah brightman- Acting, not so much; singing, divine. I agree that she was the best Christine. Emmy Rossum just looked like a mouth-breather.)
mandy goes to art school is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #16
Minyaliel

Oh for heaven's sake, Sarah Brightman? I can't stand her, honestly. I've never seen anyone who manages to look as stupid and expressionless as her on stage. Even I'm a better actress than that. And her voice - I know at least a hundred singers who'd have done the part better than her, only on the singing. But, back on topic... I love the neo- victorian look, and dress like it quite a lot (well, in such a degree that my student budget allows me). I've found that second- hand stores are always the best place to look for clothes that can be modified into this look. Curtains are also your best friend, and can often be obtainted at a wonderfully cheap price at said shops.
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #17
Alaizabel Cray

I've never heard of that style referred to as Steam-Punk, but I do love that style myself. Currently, I'm adopting it. Trying to get my hands on a relatively cheap Victorian style corset as well. If I do, I'll probably wear it more once I'm out of high school, not quite so much now, but it would make a lovely addition to my wardrobe, and even to future Halloween costumes.