Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #1
Mass Producing Hate

Have a hair question (male)

Note: Before you ask for pictures just look at the one in my profile, it was a quick one I just took now with the crap webcam built into my laptop. It was just taken for showing how my hair is normally as in fully dried. Another note I am too lazy to check this for grammar and how it flows due to not having the time so keep that in mind.

I looked around for stuff and I found some info on curly hair but it was not exactly what I was looking for. My hair is rather thick and if it is not really short then it starts to curl and poof out all over. I never blow dry it opting instead to just rub it a bit with a towel so it is not dripping wet then I let it air dry over the next hour or two post shower. I also only wash it every other day.

Well now that I have the information regarding what my hair is like out of the way I can state my question. I really want to know if there are any styles I could do for it besides some hawk variation and dying it is out of the question due to where I work as well as I already had it blue for a few months over a year ago and they finally made me change it. I mean any styles that aren't archaic and I do not know where to start looking online and I have a bad sense of what looks good on me even to myself let alone others. Would I be better off just letting it be a fro till it gets a tad bit longer??? It was cut almost 2 months ago and it will probably take about 5-6 months before it starts to weigh itself down and not be able to go upwards anymore. That also raises a problem due to I can only have it longer if I am able to tie it back due to working at a Domino's. I had it really long at one point but I lack a picture of it on this computer and the only one I have is my senior picture from high school and I can not use the scanner at the moment. I might be able to at least tie the back part back then just put hide the rest under my hat at work but that is question that I can answer till I hit a longer length. I have a picture of when it was longer from when I was 16 but I can not post URLs due to being a new member so I guess that is not going to help.

Also I do own a good straightener. It is one of the Chi ones and it cost $90 on amazon. I bought it a year and a half ago when I had my hair blue because it was so damaged from being bleached two to three times in less then three months or at least I know it was minimum of two times and that might have been in two months actually but eh you should get the point that it was pretty much screwed damage wise. Note that just because I own the straightener does not me I like using and haven't since I went back to my normal hair color.

Well that is all I can think of at the moment and I hope that is enough info regarding what my hair is like and what I am looking for even though I asked a broad question
Mass Producing Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #2
Malice In Wonderland

Humm.
I think you should try and cut the sides down.
Straighten it if possible.
Then as it's fairly thick it'd backcomb pretty nicely.
Possibley have it thinned out.

I reckon it'd look good dyed/backcombed.

"One mohawk wasn't enough to keep up with how badass he is so he had to get two." - Haunted House, about me, YEAH, ME!

Terror Nuclear,Terror Nuclear
Malice In Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:25 AM   #3
crucifix

You have hair similar to me. You need to deep condition it (really helps with the poof and curls) once a week. I like organic root stimulator hair mayo. Works wonders. Also, if you do straighten it, do it, then don't wash it/get it wet for like three days and then you will just have to touch up in the morning and not have to redo the whole thing. This cuts down on damage from the heat. That is what I do and I still have a little breakge when I straighten, but my hair is so destroyed from overdyeing in the last year that there is not much to do about it but cut it all off, which I am NOT going to do. Seriously, the hair mayo works wonders for curly, poofy hair.
crucifix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #4
Serren

Your hair looks a lot like mine when its untamed. I've tried cutting my hair very short cos I've got so sick of managing it as well as growing it so its weighed down.

Using a straighter should be OK if you use a heat protection spray every time.

Mine as (as the others said) responded well to being thinned out by my hair dresser. Regular trims and deep conditioners will also help.

The type of hair we have works very well with back combing, it also dreads up pretty easy too.
Serren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
crucifix

^yes, heat protectant is key to using a flat iron without frying your hair. I use VO5's heat spray and after I spray it on I use a little bit of silicone serum over it to help the iron slip through my hair easier. Also, your hair needs to be BONE DRY before straightening it. The spray will make it a little damp, but that is ok, because it is the product's moisture. DO NOT ever iron hair that is wet from normal water, such as towel drying it after washing and then ironing. It will boil the water in the hair and make it split/tear/break much quicker than if you always start with dry hair. I wash, condition, use leave in conditioner, let it air dry completely or blow dry then use the heat spray and serum and then have a field day with my iron.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
NightmareInShiningArmour

Ouch man. Domino's... I'm working at Eagle Boys at the moment, it opens tonight. It's gonna suck. Pizza places are holes.

I reckon your hair doesn't look all bad at the moment but as mentioned, straighten it maybe and then just mess around with it, tease it or something. Do a Robert Smith or Siouxsie.
To be honest I reckon you would look pretty good with a hawk.

Don't tell me you didn't see this coming...
http://www.blingdomofgod.com/entryim...805_bling2.jpg
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
KontanKarite

Go to a salon and start asking questions about relaxers. A relaxer is a chemical treatment used to permanently straighten the hair.

Get that done and then see what you get. Your face is kinda square and idealy (sp), you want to make your face look more oval. Apparently, an oval face is the most perfect face shape, so a lot of hair styles are designed to balance the face and make it appear more oval.

So get it straightened and then see if you can get a few sections of hair to make your face appear a bit more rounder.

That should give you plenty of options.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #8
crucifix

^I have wanted a relaxer for a long time but I am scared that it will damage my already damaged colortreated hair even more
Old 12-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #9
KontanKarite

It's best to do a virgin relaxer. Did you use box dye to color your hair? Because if you did, a relaxer very well could melt your hair... literally.

But a thio relaxer can take 100% of the curl out while not irritating the scalp as a Sodium Hydroxide relaxer may do.

Consult a hair stylist at a salon. If your hair is already quite damaged from coloring, they may tell you to grow it out and not color it until it's all out.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:21 PM   #10
AngelikDemonik

A good conditioner will be your best friend.

http://www.myspace.com/dancemydarling

AIM: ThisIsntSybil
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #11
KontanKarite

Goldwell Shampoo and Biolage conditioner in a jar. An awesome combination.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #12
crucifix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KontanKarite
It's best to do a virgin relaxer. Did you use box dye to color your hair? Because if you did, a relaxer very well could melt your hair... literally.

But a thio relaxer can take 100% of the curl out while not irritating the scalp as a Sodium Hydroxide relaxer may do.

Consult a hair stylist at a salon. If your hair is already quite damaged from coloring, they may tell you to grow it out and not color it until it's all out.
Yup, box here. I have thought of a thio one before too, but I will probably just stick with my flat iron.