Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:28 AM   #1
SycophAntichrist

SycophAntichrist has been reborn

Greetings from New Zealand. It's 3:40am on a cold winter morning.

To mark my induction into Gothic.net, and my status as 'baby Goth' I searched the Internet for a suitable picture of a foetus of some description which I could use as an avatar. The notion of modifying the picture in Photoshop to give the impression that the baby was 'flipping the bird' proved irresistable.

I'm currently what you could call 'between jobs.' Whatever that means. By the same token you could take a few steps into the ocean and call yourself 'between continents.' I'm not sure how long my unemployment will last. My last job was working as a Lab Technician, which I enjoyed - especially working on the website the business also ran- and felt I had some aptitude for. I'm disinclined to do anything that doesn't challenge me or require some sort of creativity.

Right now I'm working on a short story/novella which I have been told is in the Gothic vein - which I shall submit to this site when I feel it is suitably polished. That's my primary motivation for joining. It's the first thing I've written in seven years.

My last work - the prologue for a much longer story I'd already written - was published in a magazine. Good for me, right? The bad thing was that the cover story of said magazine was about a girl who'd committed suicide - the same fate that my heroine met in the complete story. I'm not sure if I'd been externalising such thoughts and embodying them in a character as far removed from myself as possible, but it had an impact on me somehow.

Which brings me to how I want to die. That's a tough one - I want it to be on my terms, and yet I don't want to commit suicide. Maybe I'd be able to take part in a duel? My coffin - definitely a black one with a hot-rod style flame paint job. If you're going to go, go with some style.

I've been told that it would be well worth taking the time to read some of the works of the great Gothic authors to better acquaint myself with the subjects and its target audience: and am currently reading the stories of H.P. Lovecraft (who I'd have to say is one of my favourite authors at the moment.) Complete etexts of many of his works can be found at: http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary...aft/index.html

Cradle of Filth would have to be my favourite band right now. I like the juxtaposition of classical undertones with the modern death metal trappings of gutteral voices, savage drums and electric guitars. That, and the fact that almost all the lyrics are rendered indecipherable amidst the clamour - so it's possible to hear something different with each listening. That's just through personal experience. Their album "Damnation and a Day" inspired me to go to the library today and borrow a copy of 'Paradise Lost' by John Milton.

What I really miss about being a child is that, although you've got such a huge imagination, you can find almost everything you need to entertain you in such a small area - remember how large your neighbourhood seemed to you as a child? Now it's like I've become jaded with my familiar surroundings, and the things that could bring some variety and enjoyment seem so distant and farflung.
SycophAntichrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
An Eccentric Cellist

Hello *curtsy*. Very well spoken aren't you?
What sort of eduction have you had?
You're obviously very logical and creative, may I ask about your user name? Something makes me think you're trying too hard on it, then of course you don't have 666 in it so I could be wrong.
Welcome m'dear.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Godslayer Jillian

You, my friend, are perfect!
Just don't forget to copyright a wrok before publishing it into a public site.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #4
WizardElement5

Hi and welcome to gnet. Good luck with the writing.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:30 AM   #5
SycophAntichrist

Hello to you, Eccentric Cellist *bow in reply*

I often wish that I had the same luxury of time I possess when I am writing, when I am having a conversation. Then I’d be able to wait and select exactly the right words with which to express what I was thinking, rather than simply use the first ones which come to mind. I’d have to say that a part of me is definitely lost in transition between correspondence such as this and conversation.

Education wise, I finished high school but didn’t go to university. I could say this was due to the fact that our education system is designed to reward conformity most of all - those who are best able to absorb and then regurgitate information being the most likely to succeed - but even if this is true, I myself am mostly to blame.

Fundamentally, I was a slacker. I only really applied myself in subjects, or parts thereof, I found interesting. My creative writing marks carried me through English; I spent five years studying Japanese more out of enjoyment than anything else (I’ve spoken to a total of one Japanese people since; ) and I paid more attention to the concepts and ideas in physics than the equations which demonstrated them. I squandered much of my potential.

I’ve since attended courses in business administration and retail.

You’re probably right about my user name. Names - user or otherwise - have never been one of my strong points. One of the internet resources I’ve used most while writing the story I’m working on at the moment has been a random name generator, and choosing my own proved somewhat challenging.

Thanks also to Godslayer Jillian and WizardElement5 for your warm welcome.

I must admit I hope I’m not completely perfect. I seem to remember something about the last perfect man being nailed to cross…
Old 06-23-2006, 08:26 AM   #6
angel011

Oh, please don't be afraid. Just lay down on that piece of wood -- never mind it's shape -- yes, that's right. *whispering* Somebody pass the nails and the hammer, please. *chuckle*

Welcome. You seem to be intelligent and eloquent. I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Old 06-23-2006, 04:51 PM   #7
Corpsey

Welcome, welcome. I hope you stay, fellow kiwi, and best of luck for your book writing.

*edit* Also, have you read anything from Sheryll Jordan? If you have, i was wondering if her book, "The raging quiet", wasn't a one off. Also, do you know any other decent New Zealand authors, other than Barry Crump?

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:29 AM   #8
SycophAntichrist

Corpsey - I haven't read anything by Sheryll Jordan myself, but I did a search on the net and the other titles written by her I've been able to find are:

The Hunting Of The Last Dragon, Secret Sacrament, and Winter of Fire.

I hope that's of assistance.

I'd have to say that - quite unpatriotically really - I haven't read much at all by New Zealand authors.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Corpsey

I've been told winter of fire is really good but that was about it. There are barely any good New Zealand authors, so i hope you make your mark with your novella

"I've never regretted anything..." - Light Yagami

Life is a shit sandwich. Unfortunately, it's always lunchtime. How much bread you have goes a long way toward determining how easy it is to swallow.
Corpsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:42 PM   #10
Demonista_Ravenesque

Welcome to our Gnet community.

We're trying to rebuild whatever but hey!

Hello again.

Hier sind doch irgendwo kinder versteckt
Demonista_Ravenesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
the_ink_bleeds_faster

Well, anyways, welcome to Gnet!