Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM   #1
BLEED REBELION!!!

Why do you live?

“ Why do you bother to live, what’s the point?”

People have asked me this question and depending on my mood I will give a thousand infinite and differing answers. Sometimes my answer may even be that I don’t want to live. But at this moment my answer goes something like this…..
I live because I want to see what will happen next; where the world will go, if Humans improve, if I can make it better. I want to know what the future holds I can never leave a story half way through. Because I have learned and am still learning the history of everything, it enthralls me to think of the the centuries before ours. Maybe history will help us better our selves .
I live because if I were to simply kill myself it would mean everything I ever went through was for nothing. That all the pain, the hurt, the desperation, the confusion was in vain. I cant except that., I can not. I feel that maybe if I can just make the future better, maybe if I can just help someone who is just like I was then I will make my past alright. I feel so incredibly guilty and hateful and dirty when I think of the past of who it has made me, who I am now. I need something to cling to some way of making penance. I am too weak to seek justice for myself to tell the whole world the truth. So if I can not make myself better if I can not heal then I will attempt to heal others dedicate my life to it. Because things like this should never happen.
It think maybe I had to live through all those things so that I could be empathetic , so I could help to change the world. It has given me a true understanding of dehumanization, of exactly what it is and how it feels. And so I will never turn a blind eye to the suffering of others.

So why do you live?

" I love 4play! Its the best thing I've ever done"
- My Boyfriend
BLEED REBELION!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #2
Seraphynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEED REBELION!!!
I live because I want to see what will happen next; where the world will go, if Humans improve, if I can make it better. I want to know what the future holds I can never leave a story half way through.
I think that for right now that is my reason for living as well.
Seraphynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Alaizabel Cray

I live because I truly do value my life. I was born at 34 weeks, and by all means I should have Cerebal Palsy, or at least be forever quite small in size (my mom had to dress me in doll clothes as an infant because I didn't fit normal clothes. The little booties/socks they make for newborns went up to about mid-thigh on me). But, despite being born before my lungs were fully developed, at a stage where most babies should have somewhat of a merely half-baked brain, I was perfectly fine. The only two problems that may have resulted are a slight astigmatism, which is why I wear glasses, and a tendency to get respiratory infections (I've gotten pneumonia 4 times so far, when most people never get it once). Then, when I was three, I got a really nasty kidney infection. My temperature spiked at 106.8; the hospital staff didn't believe my mom when she brought me in. Small children start having seizures at around 103 or 104 degrees, and at 105 the brain thinks seriously about cooking. How the hell I am who I am today, I have no clue. I should have some form of brain damage, even if just slightly; but I qualify to join Mensa. It makes no sense to me. That I could survive all of that with just a few minor metaphorical bruises, when so many others are not nearly as lucky. There are children like my sister, who fight from birth to be able to get a glimpse of the world before dying far too early. There are people like my boyfriend, who have Schizophrenia and/or other mental disorders, but a tendency to spit up pills and a set of parents who won't agree to treatment anyways. If so many just suffer, why was I saved? Sure, I'm not perfect; genetics has guaranteed my Bi-Polar Disorder, and losing a sister is no walk in the park. But I feel that I truly am one of the lucky ones.

Having that gift, that chance to experience as much of life as I can handle, is something I intend to make the most of. It's not something to waste. No life is a thing to waste. And so I live for those who no longer do, for those who are held back. I intend to use my life to help those people. I know that I can't fix everything that's wrong in this world, but I can inspire the people who will. And if I can inspire just one person to really do something with their life, then my life will not have been vain.

This sounds like some big rehearsed speech, but, it's what I feel.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:39 PM   #4
Valerius

I won't spew out some long-winded essay about why I live, so I will simply say that I live for the sole reason that I have a purpose on this earth. Nothing more, nothing less.

-Oscar Van den Boogaard, Dutch pacifist
Valerius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:45 PM   #5
Godslayer Jillian

Pleasure.
Plus, the world would be much better if I were in charge, and I want to try and get that position.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
killer_asian_Dax

Not too worried about WHY I am here. I figure there's a reason that I am. Either I'll find out the reason or I'll never know. But either way- I don't care too much about the WHY. I just know that I'm here and I'm making the best of my time here while I'm here.

My crappy Myspace
killer_asian_Dax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Splintered

I live, because if I didn't, the world would end.

See.
Assume the world equals 1.
And I equal 1.
(There's 1 of me, and 1 of the planet earth).

If we do multiplication, we get 1 * 1 = 1. (One earth, times one me, equals one earth/me.)
If we do multiplication without me, we get 1 * 0 = 0, or no earth.
If we do division 1 / 1, we get 1. One earth, divided by me, is one earth/me.
If we do division, or 1/0, we get a computational error.

So without me, the universe would implode. So I live.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
Methadrine

...I always thought the equation should end up with 42...

As for why I live? No bloody idea. I just do, and when it's not fun anymore I don't.

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:32 AM   #9
Clockwork

I... don't know why I live, most of the time. Mostly because there's no immediate reason not to. If I think about it, I'd say I live because there's things I want to do before I die... things I want to accomplish, want to see, people I want to meet. Might as well enjoy a life if I have it. I also can't help feeling like I have a great purpose, although that might be normal.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:49 AM   #10
Cicero

I live because the alternatives of death or non-existence aren't too alluring.

Plus it's kinda fun sometimes.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:22 AM   #11
Minyaliel

The only reason that I'm still alive today is music. Without my music, I would have been dead by suicide long ago (difficult teenage years). The only thing that got me through ages 12- 16 were the thought that I wanted to show them how much better I was than my harassers, through my music, since I had no other options of revenge. Today, I live for the pleasure of knowing that I survived and grew strong by the experience. Still, music is the main reason that drives me on. It has been since infancy, I believe. My mother tells me I knew 200 norwegian children's songs by heart when I was only one year old, and would sit in the shopping cart singing them without missing a single note or going off tune. I mean, it's at least worth a try to see if there was something in it...
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
Don't Look Behind You

Location: a russian, vienna-educated, living in the Netherlands. beat that.
Sadly enough, I don't know why I live. It's probably the most frequent question i ask myself.
As to humanity in general, i have decided that that there is no reason what so ever for our existance as humans. My existance as an individuality just happens to have little sense as well. There are things I enjoy such as music, thinking, reading, writing, drawing,being goofy, smoking...But actualy I am alive becuase I am too stubborn.
--If you want to love me you'll have to love my shadow. This black creature that is stuck to my feet and that hates the light whithout which it wouldn't exist. Sometimes, I think it is more me than I am. Please be gentle as you make my shadow white.

-- On soft pillows you won't ride into eternity and spilling your blood you won't get out of eternity again.
Don't Look Behind You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
Aaroneet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerius
I won't spew out some long-winded essay about why I live, so I will simply say that I live for the sole reason that I have a purpose on this earth. Nothing more, nothing less.

That pretty much says it all for me.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #14
Cyntrox

I live to improve.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:26 PM   #15
DeathChii

Look, this is how I see it:
You've only got, what? 80, 90 years to live? [If you're lucky!]
You've got all eternity to be DEAD. So fuck, just enjoy it! xP
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Cyntrox

Too bad enjoying it tends to shorten the lifespan x.x
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #17
Methadrine

That's the point. I can't seriously see myself living to be 70.. or even 60. I don't want to get that old.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #18
biohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathChii
Look, this is how I see it:
You've only got, what? 80, 90 years to live? [If you're lucky!]
You've got all eternity to be DEAD. So fuck, just enjoy it! xP
This is very true actually, and it changed what I was going to write as a response. yes, our lives are short and we must use them while we can. There are many diffrent responses for the reasons I live, sometimes I wish I was dead, others I want to live longer. As the topic starter said, I am also curious to know how the world evolves and what happens with humans as technology gets better. If humans will ever be able to travel at the speed of light in my lifetime, or if some other energy source is created to substitute oil. I also live for the ones I care about. My family would not be happy if I died tomorrow, and they also want to see me grow.

There are also times when I wish to be dead. I have very few good friends in real life, and I am mostly a solitary person. That brings sadness to my life, and emptyness. Also, sometimes I question if making an effort in school and college qill be worth the effort? If I died, I would no longer have to study or work, and not many people would miss me. Only a few, such as my family and close friends, but the world would go on normally.
biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:33 PM   #19
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methadrine
That's the point. I can't seriously see myself living to be 70.. or even 60. I don't want to get that old.
When I was young I thought I would be dead before 40. Now I am 51.
The thing is, becoming 50 or 60 or 70 doesn't mean an end to enjoying life.
I enjoy life even more now than I did when I was in my twenties, because I have more power to do so ("Old has the Gold").

I still listen to punk and Goth Rock and Death Rock and metal and everything else. I go to live performances almost every week. I still dress in counter culture fashion (well, counter to my age demographic that is).

You see, one does not feel like one is getting old. One sees everyone else getting younger.

I seriously hope to be buried with my Goth boots on.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #20
Alaizabel Cray

Humane, when I get to be your age, I wanna be like you. I don't ever intend to resign myself to being "old" (51 is still reasonably young though, especially when you consider that I come from a line of people who live into their 100's without getting all rickety) and you definitely do a great job of showing that age shouldn't dictate what you do. Rock on.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
Cyntrox

I second that.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #22
Methadrine

I third that, but I still can't as of now see myself at that age, yet.

But I'm sure I proudly wear my sisters t-shirts, boots and leatherjacket at 50.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #23
MollyMac

Because not living would put a kink in a few plans at this point.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:42 PM   #24
DeathChii

I'm afraid of death... So Getting older will probably scare me... =S
I wish I could live forever... =P
From trashing this way and that
Its white tusks
Through human beings
Like crackling stalks
And to nothing less
I offer this suffering of my father
"The Offering" - Stan Rice
DeathChii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:44 PM   #25
Methadrine

Don't be afraid of death. It's inevitable, and the sooner you embrace that fact the less you have to worry about it, and thus more time for happy dances.