Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM   #51
Godslayer Jillian

Yeah, why?miaw

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM   #52
korinna5555

Your opinions?
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 PM   #53
Godslayer Jillian

Eh, religion... You all know my opinion of it.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #54
AngelikDemonik

I thought godhatesfags was a parody site? Or am I thinking of something else...
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:57 PM   #55
viscus

Nope. It's a serious site run by the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, KS. Although it may as well be a joke, seeing as the church comprises a madman and his extended family.

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #56
Tam Li Hua

Godhatesgoths.com is a parody. Unfortunately, the original, Godhatesfags.com, is not.

Boy, do I wish it was; that man is an embarrassment and just so plain wrong; he completely perverts everything Christ stood for, and...gah.

I don't like him.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #57
Apathy's_Child

I can't decide if Fred Phelps is a p.edophile, or gay himself.......... but I'm pretty sure it's one of the two. Could be either, or both, but the guy seems to have a serious chip on his fuckn' shoulder about something.

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:20 AM   #58
AngelikDemonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscus
Nope. It's a serious site run by the Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, KS. Although it may as well be a joke, seeing as the church comprises a madman and his extended family.

Ah, yes. The people who like protesting at dead soldiers' funerals and wanted to protest at Heath Ledger's funeral. They are very hateful people...
AngelikDemonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:51 AM   #59
chelseagirl

When I lived in Tennessee, I was hit in the head with a large rock while walking through a bunch of pro-life protesters in front of a clinic. They were yelling at me calling me a murderer and saying I was going to hell, etc., then, bam! - a rock hit me and split my eyebrow open.

The most F'd up thing about it though was that I was NOT going in to get an abortion. I was going to get my yearly exam and get a prescription for birth control pills.

Those people were apparently too stupid to realize that the clinic offered other services, such as low-cost healthcare and birth control dispensing for people without health insurance, in addition to performing abortions.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:59 AM   #60
viscus

Sheesh, did you file a police report at least?

I think if someone told me I was going to hell, I would respond with "Do you presume to speak for God, imperfect mortal?"

"Now some of you may encounter the devil's bargain if you get that far. Any old soul is worth saving at least to a priest, but not every soul is worth buying. So you can take the offer as a compliment."

-William S. Burroughs

You're not entitled to your opinion.
viscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #61
chelseagirl

I did, but they were unable to verify who actually threw the rock, so nothing ever came of it. Stupid people.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:26 PM   #62
ArielDevaki

Isnt anyone else laughing at the fact that the "pro-life" idiot who was standing outside of the abortion clinic was a MAN?

Come on now!
What in all hell does HE know about Pro-life? lmao.
You cant really now what Pro-Life is until you know Pro-choice, heh.
ArielDevaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #63
Godslayer Jillian

How can you be against murder if you haven't been killed or killed someone?

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 02-19-2008, 07:36 PM   #64
ArielDevaki

Be a Christian.
"Thou shalt not kill"....
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #65
Xombie

That's exactly how some feel about abortions. It's a form of murder to them. "Thou shalt not kill" applies.
Xombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:46 PM   #66
dark_dragon_of_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielDevaki
Be a Christian.
"Thou shalt not kill"....
Are you joking?
dark_dragon_of_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 07:48 PM   #67
ArielDevaki

Well, there are a lot of different ways to look at it.
Some people believe that a fetus inside of the womb is not a living thing, since it is still physically, "connected" to the body. But for the mother, it can be a mental connection from fetus to mother.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #68
ArielDevaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_dragon_of_ice
Are you joking?
Haha, feel the sarcasm.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:04 AM   #69
ionic_angel

Personally, I have to say I am grieved about the way these - and many other pro-life protesters - act. But I must also say that I have protested myself, because I do believe that an unborn human is still a human. I cannot ethically justify within myself a course of action which results in the death of an innocent human being.

But, when I protested, I protested with others who shared my views, quietly, politely, and not on the property of an abortion clinic. Still, I can see the viewpoint of the protesters there: if abortion does kill a human, a clinic is little different than the gas chambers and crematoriums in a death camp.

But we will never convince people to not take these courses of action by throwing rocks, or being obnoxious. Rather, I, and most of the pro-life people I know, seek to provide alternatives for pregnant women, and I personally find no fault with birth control that does not cause death to a human embryo. Many of us volunteer our time and energy for organizations that seek to help pregnant women and offer alternatives to abortion, and I have seen them do much good.

I was adopted. My mother could have chosen abortion, but she did not, and I am eternally grateful for that. To be denied the experiences of life is a tragedy, and I believe that the only reason more people don't see it that way is because they haven't come to grips with that.

A sense of perspective when encountering those you do not agree with is a priceless commodity that far too few seem to possess in this day and age. A reasoned disagreement with someone else is still disagreement - you have not compromised your principles...and what have you lost if you discover that the other side is not as irreconcilable to your own position as you thought?
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:03 AM   #70
Moon Child

We all should have the choice wether or not to have an abortion but befor you come to the point of having one you should prevent it from happening.....
Ever heard of birth control- and in this case parents and school are guilty of it, instead of preaching abstinence teach them how to take care of them selves, how to prevent desease and pregnancy...

So horrid things like that "pro-life protest" and having young girls who are unable to take care of a child won't happen!

some one has to knock some sense into them...
I feel so sorry for those girls and women that have to go into those clinics being told that they were going to hell.... something has to be done
Moon Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #71
DeathToLems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Child
We all should have the choice whether or not to have an abortion but before you come to the point of having one you should prevent it from happening.....
Ever heard of birth control- and in this case parents and school are guilty of it, instead of preaching abstinence teach them how to take care of them selves, how to prevent disease and pregnancy...

So horrid things like that "pro-life protest" and having young girls who are unable to take care of a child won't happen!

some one has to knock some sense into them...
That still dont stop them from getting sexually assaulted though does it.
DeathToLems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:35 PM   #72
Apathy's_Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArielDevaki
Isnt anyone else laughing at the fact that the "pro-life" idiot who was standing outside of the abortion clinic was a MAN?

Come on now!
What in all hell does HE know about Pro-life? lmao.
You cant really now what Pro-Life is until you know Pro-choice, heh.
So men shouldn't have an opinion? What about women who've never been pregnant?

Witches have no wit, said the magician who was weak.
Hula, hula, said the witches. - Norman Mailer
Apathy's_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #73
Stormtrooper of Death

I'm very much of a pro-choice person. Always will be.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:15 PM   #74
ionic_angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Child
We all should have the choice wether or not to have an abortion but befor you come to the point of having one you should prevent it from happening.....
Ever heard of birth control- and in this case parents and school are guilty of it, instead of preaching abstinence teach them how to take care of them selves, how to prevent desease and pregnancy...
I suggest you look at the newest report that came out about teen STDs. The biggest problem doesn't seem to be lack of education, but a general unwillingness to use birth control/a lack of willingness to continue using it.

As for the disease part, while condoms do protect against some STDs, other forms of birth control don't. And even condoms don't protect perfectly against some STDs. Check out what the report had to say about chlamydia and some others such as herpes.

Oh, and I should point out that I strongly support the use of condoms by sexually active people, even though I am pro-life. My concern is for the fact that I believe that if one is going to value human life, one must value it when it begins.
ionic_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:36 PM   #75
raggedyanne

Oh come off it you all! The man standing "right in front of the clinic" with gruesome, probably inaccurate photos who, along with others who share his views, harasses girls going into to a public building is not only being offensive, but there is no way you can describe his form of protesting as peaceful! You've already agreed that he and others are breaking local laws by where their standing and by being a public nuisance! It doesn't matter whether or not you agree with him, the man is quite rude in the way he's attempting to get his message across.

I am pro-choice. It is my belief that a woman should be able to choose what she wants to do with her body and what's in it. It is also my personal belief that no one should force their opinions onto others. I got pregnant and many people were telling me to get an abortion. I decided it would be easier on my body and my mind to go through with the pregnancy and give it to a nice gay couple who were more mentally and financially prepared. If I could go back and make the decision again, I would probably abort it to save mental and physical anguish. Any young girl who has to go through school pregnant should have the right to choose whether or not she wants to face that level of harassment.

It's wrong to harass someone into a decision. Be it standing outside a clinic throwing rocks at people trying to salvage their lives and educations, or mocking someone who decides to keep their baby even though they support abortions; in this country we have a right to free will and in most states free abortions. Having either of those rights taken away because some idiotic god fearing imbecile decided that he wanted to play god with someone else's womb would be a devastating blow to the our country's reputation as free. How can you call yourself "free" when you don't even have control of what does or does not develop in your body?

Oh yah, use birth control pills AND a condom. Just to be safe.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote