Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Music
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Music Finally, an entire forum devoted to talking about Doktor Avalanche, the drum machine for the Sisters of Mercy. You can talk about other bands, or other members of that band, too, if you want to be UNCOOL.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
KontanKarite

Cruxshadows and the credibility of the rich class

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_(musician)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_Pont_family

This was brought up to my attention today. As many of you would know, I am a huge ridiculous fan of CXS. Though I still love their music, though their message is beautiful, I'm left wondering and feeling as if a bit of their credibility has been lost in light of this information exposed to me.

I admit, I do not and normally wouldn't want to know the lives of the artists I love because normally, it leads to knowing things you'd really never want to know.

Rogue is very wealthy. Even before starting CXS, he's wealthy. I'm wondering, does class, does wealth cause you to lose the credibility of your words? Just because one is rich, does it automatically make their words disingenuous? I'm conflicted. I grew up middle class AND poor at the same time in different times of my life. I suppose it makes me wonder if he really knows. If what he sings about is something HE REALLY KNOWS about.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #2
NachtSorcier

Just my opinion of course, but when I listen to Rogue sing, it sounds to me like he's involved in what he's singing enough to really know what it is he's singing. I don't think wealth automatically changes a person, it's only if they think that all there is to life is money and luxuries, but a wealthy person does have the ability to experience what life is really about and I think Rogue has probably taken the time to do that.

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
KontanKarite

That's the point. He can choose to experience it and choose not to.

As for.. say you and I, we can't choose to dip our toes in the water because we try so much to get out of the pool as it is. Heh.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:38 AM   #4
NachtSorcier

Right, I'm just saying that I think he chose to experience it. I think, I don't know for sure, but I think. Just the feeling I get.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
KontanKarite

I agree. In that, I suppose there's something noble about choosing to do things the hard way, even when it is so easy to live easy.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM   #6
NachtSorcier

Too right you are. I think in a way the middle class is lucky. We have to earn what we get. It makes us appreciate it more.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:02 AM   #7
delicti

I don't think there's too many things that would give exclusive access to claim attachment to the goth subculture that is based on economic standing.

I really don't know what Rogue is up to now, but the last time I paid attention to him, he was ranting about mythologies in his songs. If he's still doing that sort of thing, I don't know what would make him less credible if he's independently wealthy?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
KontanKarite

It's not so much the focus on the myth, but the messages IN the myths that's so beautiful. Granted, I could read the stories myself, but Rogue presented them in a way that was easier for me to pay attention to.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #9
Aaroneet

What I've heard from the Cruxshadows identifies with me as what is human; it shouldn't be and most likely isn't affected by class. It's not always the message; it's how people react to it. Wealth doesn't make you any less human.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hmm perhaps we could use his ancestry to our advantage. If people knew a member of a famous old noble family that has had such a large impact on the modern world was a Goth, who knows what would happen. Then again it might ruin the company stock but I can't really predict the possibilities.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
maggot

I think Rogue is a scenester bitch.

His name is "Rogue" (without even a surname) for heaven's sake.
What a rebel, amirite?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:24 PM   #12
Godslayer Jillian

I haven't seen any lyrics in The Cruxshadows that Rogue's social status makes them hypocritical.
If anything, it's awesome that being rich, and having graduated Magna Cum Laude, his passion is music.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #13
Cicero

I come from a rather wealthy family so I would certainly say Rogue's words are no less credible no matter how much money he has. I'm not a huge fan of the Cruxshadows but I do listen to them from time to time, and I certainly don't see how wealth or poverty would affect his lyrics at all. He's just a talented musician with a hefty inheritance.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
thedoll

Just enjoy the music, learning about the musicians is depressing. Nobody is real anymore.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #15
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
It's kind of like how Julia Louis-Dreyfus she has a possible 3.4 billion dollar inheritance. Yet she continues to work. Donald Trump's kids arn't getting a free ride either.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #16
maggot

I'm not even talking about him being a hypocrite, just to clear things up.

He's just a scenester bitch.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 AM   #17
thedoll

But hes adorable... 0.0

Its all how you were raised, sure money has an affect on it but my parents taught me affluence is nice, its better to have worked for it.

I'd like to do more than survive, I'd like to rub it in your face. -The Dresden Dolls
thedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:20 AM   #18
TopHaggardDoll

All this talk of money.

What does it matter if the music touched you? He must be genuine if you can feel that in his voice. He obviously loves music, he's rich already....why would he do it for money!?

Makes sense to me anyway.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:01 PM   #19
Rosie

Never been a huge fan of the Cruxshadows, to be honest...
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote