Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Spooky News
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Spooky News Spooky news from around the web goes in this forum. Please always credit and link your source and only use sources which are okay with being posted. No profanity in subject headings please.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:44 AM   #1
Delkaetre

And the violence returns...

Back in summer 2007, a vicious attack on a goth couple in Bacup, England, made news when the female of the couple died. Sophie's death has led to a widespread movement in the alternative community denouncing the kind of divisions that lead to such attacks (well, denouncing them more loudly than before and in a more organised fashion. No one's ever been happy with these issues). Since then, there have been one or two small attacks but nothing major- no one's had anything worse than a bruise and a scare.
Unfortunately, there's been another attack. Thankfully not fatal, but the victim was only twelve years old.

Quote:
A YOUNG girl was chased and attacked in school grounds - because of how she was dressed, her mother claims.

The 12-year-old, who was wearing "emo" style clothing, with skinny black jeans and a hooded top, was set upon by a gang of girls at 3pm on Sunday.

Her mum said the attack, in Blackburn, could have been much more serious if she had not managed to escape.
advertisement

Police said they were treating the incident very seriously because of the vicious nature.

However, a spokesman said they were unable to confirm whether the offence was prompted by the girl's appearance as the officer dealing with it was on holiday.

The girl's mum, who asked not to be named for fear of reprisals, said the gang were calling her daughter, a Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School pupil, a "goth".

She had gone into Blackburn town centre shopping for her mother's birthday present when she was targeted in the Boulevard.

One of the gang shouted 'Are you wearing those shoes for a joke?'
She then ran along Church Street where she was assaulted.

Police said she got to Preston New Road when the gang stopped her again and tried to take her iPod.

The mother said the girl ran to the QEGS school grounds to hide and was running up the steps when her legs were grabbed and she fell.

Her mum, 38, who lives in Feniscowles, said: "They were calling her a goth.

"One had hold of her while others were punching her.

"They made her aplogise for being a goth and were making her beg for them not to 'break her legs'.

"They held her hostage on the steps until she did."

She added: "She was in tears and cried the whole night.

"She has been left completely traumatised by it."

She said the attack was a stark reminder of what happened to Sophie Lancaster, who was allegedly murdered for wearing goth-style clothing in August, The mother said: "We all know what it can lead to after what happened to the girl in Bacup.

"That could have been my daughter and I want to warn all parents."

PC Mick Smith said: "This was an extremely serious incident but fortunately she wasn't physically injured.

"We won't tolerate attacks on anyone, and we are appealing to anyone who might have seen what happened to come forward and let us know."

Police have arrested three girls on suspicion of assault.

The girls, all aged 14 and from Blackburn, have been released on police bail pending further inquiries.
The article can also be read here .
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Dark Clarissa

What the fuck is wrong with people? You just wonder what kind of scumbag parents these kids have. It makes me so angry to hear of anyone treated in this way...fucking bullies!
Dark Clarissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #3
Shlindrea

Geez, wish I could be bored enough to go chasing after somebody just for the different style of clothes they were wearing.
Shlindrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #4
Dreggas

Damn...And here I thought shit could be bad here in the states (where I grew up little baptist pricks threw stones at us) this is disgusting.
Dreggas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #5
Kanedawg

Angry

"...her legs were grabbed and she fell."

"One had hold of her while others were punching her."

"...fortunately she wasn't physically injured."

How do you define "physically injured?" And she was an Emo! On the surface might seem to suggest a link between intolerance, brutality, and stupidity.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
Methadrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Clarissa
You just wonder what kind of scumbag parents these kids have.
It's not necessarily bad parents that's behind this. I know mobs of girls that've been whipped into frenzy by their "leader"-girl for no apparent reason at all. All had good homes, good lives. Bullying could come from anything, even from the basic idea of "having some fun".

"Meow. Mew. Mrow. Maow? Miaox." - Lovely Delkaetre speaks cat.
Methadrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #7
Kanedawg

There are kids and adults from apparently decent homes who are inherently savage, and vice-a-versa. Some desirable element just not there upstairs sometimes. Might have been once decent kids who fell into the wrong kind of recreational substances at an early age just for "fun," too.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Delkaetre

Yep, that's the Sophie thing.
Most of the UK goths have given money to her charity.
The noblest sentiment I have encountered and the most passionate political statement to stir my heart both belong to a fictional character. Why do we have no politicians as pure in their intent and determinedly joyous in their outlook as Arkady Bogdanov of Red Mars?
Delkaetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #9
Breathless Horror

Fuck, reading that actually makes me feel physically sick. How can someone be so fucking intolerant and sick in the head that they would attack and beat a 12 year old girl! Even worse than that, they made her beg them to not hurt her more. I hope they get tried as adults...they threatened to break her fucking legs! It also makes me wonder what their parents must be like, to not teach their children to respect others differences. People like that should NOT be allowed on the streets!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:35 PM   #10
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
I say punish the parents, you punish the parents with jail time you punish the children. At their young age the only ones responsible for their views and behavior are the parents, we already punish parents for attendance problems, punish the parents for their criminal kids.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Breathless Horror

Thats actually a really good idea. Good thinking!

A prank a day keeps the dog leash away - Jello Biafra

I want your skulls! I NEED your skulls! - Misfits
Breathless Horror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #12
KontanKarite

Actually, that makes a lot of sense in a game of force.

If a child breaks a law, the parent is tried for the crime.

I suppose it might work to some degree.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #13
korinna5555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renatus
I say punish the parents, you punish the parents with jail time you punish the children. At their young age the only ones responsible for their views and behavior are the parents, we already punish parents for attendance problems, punish the parents for their criminal kids.
If the parents are in jail, the kids end up in The System.
That doesn't help AT ALL.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #14
Dreggas

In some states that's how it works for being tardy at school. If your kid is late too many times they fine you, the parent.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Dreggas

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
If the parents are in jail, the kids end up in The System.
That doesn't help AT ALL.
I have to agree, but that is where you fine the parent, not put the parent in jail.