Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Politics
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics "Under democracy, one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule -and both commonly succeed, and are right." -H.L. Menken

Old 10-12-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
Sephiroth Kali

US ban on openly gay military personnel suspended

US ban on openly gay military personnel suspended

A US judge has ordered a nationwide halt to enforcement of the country's ban on openly gay military personnel.

US District Judge Virginia Phillips last month ruled the "don't ask, don't tell" policy unconstitutional.

Under the policy, gay people can serve in the military but face expulsion if their sexuality is discovered.

President Barack Obama and some military leaders have called for it to be overturned. A legislative attempt to do so failed in the Senate last month.

The US Department of Justice has 60 days to appeal but may opt not to do so.

Last month the ban was also ruled unconstitutional by a federal court in Washington state. A judge there ordered the US Air Force to reinstate a nurse sacked under the policy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11528661

http://news.**********/s/ap/20101012...ys_in_military
Sephiroth Kali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Garethsteen

I think this is ridiculous, penalizing people over their sexuality. This especially annoyed me:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Supporters of the ban say allowing gay people to serve openly in the US military would lower troop morale and hinder military readiness.
How would troop morale be lowered? I thought we were talking about homosexuality, not depression. As for hindering military readiness this is more nonsense. Gay soldiers are put though the same training as straight soldiers and thus will perform just as well, unless the military fears that if a soldier is found out to be gay then the rest of their squad will be too busy keeping their asses to the wall to concentrate on the enemy.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethsteen View Post
I think this is ridiculous, penalizing people over their sexuality. This especially annoyed me:

How would troop morale be lowered? I thought we were talking about homosexuality, not depression. As for hindering military readiness this is more nonsense. Gay soldiers are put though the same training as straight soldiers and thus will perform just as well, unless the military fears that if a soldier is found out to be gay then the rest of their squad will be too busy keeping their asses to the wall to concentrate on the enemy.
That news reports is extremely biased and filled with misinformation. I wouldn't take statements such as the one you brought attention to too seriously.

Also, the bulk of the argument is here.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
Garethsteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
That news reports is extremely biased and filled with misinformation. I wouldn't take statements such as the one you brought attention to too seriously.
I realise that, but it is presented as if the comments are valid arguments when they're not. I highlighted that particular one because to me it was the most absurd.
Garethsteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:17 PM   #5
KontanKarite

This is pussy foot horse shit. FUCK winning center-right votes. Just fucking do away with it already. For fuck's sake. Being openly gay in the service DOES NOT threaten the fucking mission.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote