Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:20 PM   #851
Minyaliel

Handcuffs? I've never seen those pants, but that does sound kind of ridiculous.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #852
maggot

I've seen them. The handcuffs look totally fake.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:01 PM   #853
Vyvian Blackthorne

Yes, and silly....only a twit would buy them...

...and, as reading this post, you can obviously tell I own one.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:39 AM   #854
honeythorn

I do wear baggy legged plain black " grebo " trousers for work, and when I'm just going up the shop/lounging about or just generally can't be arsed, but That's only because I'm a size 20 and anything tighter would look horrific in the extreme. The alternative clothing place I get all my clothes from sells those Tripp trousers occasionally. I agree they are quite horrible.

There is a guy who gets on my bus occasionally though. And, well.......It would make you weep. He looks like he had an attack of magnetism and attracted every single chain, stud, spike and bolt for miles around. He does indeed appear to wear trousers like the ones described here too. I think he is what you guys in the US describe as a " mallgoth " .
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #855
raggedyanne

The only really good, long lasting thing I've ever bought there was a pair of earrings (spiked metal ball on a chain, totally midieval!)
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
raggedyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #856
raineofblood

The quality of Hot Topic has gone down so much over the years. And barely ever bought much from it back then. It's really sad how once it gets popular anything will lower its quality for more attention.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:34 PM   #857
Haunted House

Its gone from crappily metalhead oriented with the occasional Bauhaus Joy Division or Siouxsie bit to emo/hipster oriented with the occasional Bauhaus Joy Division or Siouxsie bit.

Some of their accesories are good and strangely enough you can actually get Drop Dead Magazine there.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #858
Vyvian Blackthorne

Yeah, I saw an issue of Drop Dead in there, I bought it. I asked for Bauhaus shirt once there and they said, 'Well if you're into that kinda stuff, we got some Morriessey/Smiths shirts...'
The gothiest shirt I could find there was a Crimson Misfits T-shirt...Yes, I'm aware of their genre-but horrorpunk shirts were the closest thing to goth they had, regarding shirts.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #859
raggedyanne

Sweet sadness engulf the rift brought on by rampant consumerism. It's depressing that companys will drift away from their origional "fan-base" to make more money. The same goes for their merchandis' quality. It seems to keep getting worse just so that Hot Topic can sell more overpriced rags.
At some point, you need to look yourself in the mirror and realize that what other people did to you does not define you as a person. You and your actions define who you are as a person. It's up to you to be a good person, in spite of all the evil you've faced. In fact, it should be because of the evil you see that it's good you do. Be the change you want in the world. Next time someone tells me that they're an asshole because they've had a bad life, I'm stabbing them in the eye with a spork.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:19 PM   #860
KontanKarite

Honestly, the best route to take with them is to find something interesting then learn the name of the company. THEN order better things from that company on-line.

Other than that... accessories. Cheap fishnets.

Not all beliefs and ideas are equal.
KontanKarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #861
Karnage

I wandered into a Hot Topic last year to see if they sold gift certificates for my cousins birthday. I wandered around it a bit and was appalled by the cheap faux leather belts and bondage cuffs they sold. They were completely garbage and unsuitable for any actuall bondage, merely snap-on for style.

Though on the good side, the two boys working there were quite cute, in the jailbait way.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:43 AM   #862
Vako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnage
Though on the good side, the two boys working there were quite cute, in the jailbait way.
Creepiest comment I've read on this site yet.

Oh 'brother'...
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #863
Karnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vako
Creepiest comment I've read on this site yet.

Oh 'brother'...
Hey, at noonish on a weekday, they were obviously legal, just young looking.
Karnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #864
Vako

You had me very concerned there for a moment.

*sighs in relief*
Vako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:03 PM   #865
eternalcrimson

I went to a Hot Topic in Irvine not so long ago (For those of you not familiar with the city of Irvine it’s in the middle of Orange County, California. It’s where a lot of rich conservative families live.) The guy behind the county was dressed in Old Navy Clothes. He didn’t look rock, Goth, metal, punk, or alternative for that matter. He was just a preppy guy with the Lisp that could make everybody in West Hollywood blush. I decided to look past his appearance. I asked him if he could show me something in terms of metal music and he handed me a Linkin Park CD. I then asked him to show me something in goth and he gave me a My Chemical Romance CD. I then said “I don’t think I’ll be buying any CD’s today.”

It’s sad really. I can actually remember when Hot Topic had neat gothic clothing. I still get clothes there occasionally and it’s always in the bargain bin which is another shame. These days when I go in there it seems all they sell is T-shirts and big ass pants. This is why I’ve been going to Ipso-Facto in Fullerton. It’s more expensive but at least they have good clothing and it’s genuinely gothic.
eternalcrimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:08 PM   #866
mlwlildevil

Oh dear, the age old hottopic debate.. The elders and I were debating this when I first started here, the store will continue to go on forever pretty much, Hot Topic means it goes with the latest trends, it was goth, now it's more scene/emo, it'll change in the next five years as well.
mlwlildevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:01 PM   #867
ChiChian

As I am desperate for a job, I actually applied to two of these stores near me. But it seems they're only hiring scene kids as of late.

I will say I do shop at Hot Topic occasionally but have been focusing more on another retail chain... Forever 21. They usually have sales and sometimes they have blouses, skirts or dresses to my fancy especially if they are adorned with lace or ribbons. There's some EGL potential in that store.

But I'm perfectly fine with some hand-me-downs that I've altered. Or Target. Target's nice.
ChiChian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #868
raggedyanne

I love forever 21 and wet seal for their sale racks. They always have something interesting and cheap. Though I did buy a pair of platform mary janes at hot topic for a friend's birthday . . . [rambles on]
Old 04-15-2007, 08:47 AM   #869
korinna5555

I found a very small Bauhaus button ON THE FLOOR of Hot Topic. Of course, I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #870
Vyvian Blackthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by korinna5555
I found a very small Bauhaus button ON THE FLOOR of Hot Topic. Of course, I grabbed it as soon as I saw it.
lucky you. The two things I could even find to consider slightly goth was a Misfits wallet and shirt. And 1 Morriessy and 2 Smith shirts.

:/

There weren't any goths there, just a bunch of Metalheads buying Disturbed shirts.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #871
Keni

i have a question
if you boycott hottopic because you think its sooooooooo Poseur, isnt that the same as going there beecause you think its so Goth?

but anways
i really dont like hottopic

mostly because theres Hello Kitty everywhere
and Charlie the Unicorn everywhere
and Fred everywhere

and it just makes me feel claustrophobic
but yes I overcome my fears and shop there
occasionally
for the Tripp pants and such

but if you really really really want to find absolutely amazing and unique attire, I strongly advise shopping at

VINTAGE CLOTHING STORES !!!!! =D
Keni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:56 PM   #872
Emerald-Moon

I remember all the 'goths' when I was younger only shopped at HT, and how I oh so longed to be as goth as they, being broke and all. Then I went there...and the disappointment hit.
They cater to scene/emo kids now and numetallers back when I was young, hardly any gothic items, save for the stereotypical stuffies. :C
Emerald-Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 PM   #873
goth_96

The only thing i go into hottopic for is fishnets and makeup though the fishnet shirts are rediculously expensive the fishnet tights are relatively cheap and its the only place where i can find paleface in houston
goth_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #874
Alan

I wonder how many people would think they would look less pathetic in buying at Hot Topic by saying it's because they only buy paleface at Hot Topic.
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #875
DRM

What's paleface?