Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #3526
ape descendant

I'm sipping some coffee in the cool air of the morning. I slowly begin to doubt that I have enough coffee in my house to truly motivate me to greatness. At this point, I'm still deciding if I care or not.

Be Kind
ape descendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #3527
Ben Lahnger

Teleprompter

inventor

Hubert Schlafly

has died.

He was 91.

(He never

had need

to use it

himself until

he was 88.)

As the poets have mournfully sung,
death takes the innocent young,
the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,
and those who are very well hung.

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Ben Lahnger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #3528
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lahnger View Post
An Associated Press twitter feed post just relayed that, according to the most recent U.S. Census, women have passed men in earning advanced college degrees.
Not surprising, they've been reporting that women outnumber men at universities for a while now.
Saya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #3529
Ben Lahnger

Yep. And ... knowledge is power. Change is coming.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Your days are numbered - 26,280 per person on average - 2,000,000,000 heartbeats ... tick, tick, tick
Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #3530
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
I'm sipping some coffee in the cool air of the morning. I slowly begin to doubt that I have enough coffee in my house to truly motivate me to greatness. At this point, I'm still deciding if I care or not.
I'll start singing - that will motiviate you to move your tush! I find the energy drink V works for me, although when I'm really tired I mix guarana powder into V - then you have no choice but to stay moving.

How's things going babe? Was going to Em you.

Ben/Saya - I wonder why more women are doing advanced degrees than guys? Is it because women have raised the kids and are looking to re-educate to get back into the work force? or perhaps they feel the need to be highly qualified to secure the better paying positions... hmm.. curious

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle." - Plato

Help me, I'm holding on for dear life

Fruitbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:39 PM   #3531
carakitty

Well now that I've read 8 pages on this thread and gotten to the most recent one I should probably go feed the cats their dinners and clean my piercings and get to bed. Am hoping that the nap today from 9am until 1pm hasn't completely fucked up my barely existing circadian rhythm.

You know how some people say getting tattoos is an addiction? I think for me, the same may apply to piercings. On Monday I got my Industrial and both nipples done. My piercer was awesome!

I'm already plotting to have my navel redone and I'd like to get my left nostril done. Am also considering my tongue, hood, and slightly stretching my lobes. Am I sick?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #3532
Saya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
I'll start singing - that will motiviate you to move your tush! I find the energy drink V works for me, although when I'm really tired I mix guarana powder into V - then you have no choice but to stay moving.

Ben/Saya - I wonder why more women are doing advanced degrees than guys? Is it because women have raised the kids and are looking to re-educate to get back into the work force? or perhaps they feel the need to be highly qualified to secure the better paying positions... hmm.. curious
Probably the latter, and most trade jobs are still gendered, even some sciences are still mostly men (i.e. engineering and computer sciences). I didn't even consider the army or trade school an option like most guys in my high school did. For a lot of guys they did something like their fathers did, but for a lot of us girls it was like "shit, we don't want to do what our mothers did", with a few exceptions (my roommate is a nurse, her mom was a nurse).
Old 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #3533
Solumina

Women are also more likely to go into a field that you can get into with a four year degree but where a more advanced degree would lead to higher earnings. Take teaching for example: you don't need an advanced degree but the teaching program at my school was about 80%-85% female but first year teachers in the area are about 60% women 40% men.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #3534
Fruitbat

So is a four year degree considered an advanced degree? is that a 3 year degree and honours?

Over here we have a standard 3 year degree, or else maybe 4 years with a double degree (two majors), then a fourth year of honours, and then 2 years of Masters - or you can go honors to PhD.

Just curious.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #3535
ape descendant

[quote=Fruitbat;665092]I'll start singing - that will motiviate you to move your tush! I find the energy drink V works for me, although when I'm really tired I mix guarana powder into V - then you have no choice but to stay moving.

Sing for me, I am as fond of the bat's screetch as I am of the cat's meow.

Things are well, going to get the plants for my garden next week... hopefully.. its still freezing at night a bit here.

Have you been well, my dear?

Be Kind
Old 04-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #3536
Fruitbat

Yeah I've been ticking along okay, avoiding looking at the calender a bit.

Looking forward to setting up the vegie garden for next season. I just need to design the beds and then get the soil delivered and the manure.. oh how I love the manure!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #3537
ape descendant

Is it cow manure? It has a scent that is not entirely unpleasant when mixed with soil.

Be Kind
Old 04-28-2011, 04:17 AM   #3538
Fruitbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ape descendant View Post
Is it cow manure? It has a scent that is not entirely unpleasant when mixed with soil.
I blend it baby...chicken, horse, cow, mushroom compost, regular compost.... oh Imake some good shit stink! Then I lay it down on top of the soil, fork it in, spread some pea straw on top and water it, making sure it's good and wet. .. (I'm trying to make it sound sexy since Ben accused me of putting sexua inuendos in my posts - but I don't think it works with manure... *shrugs*)...

I once gave my MIL a bag of cow manure and told her I didn't give her enough shit, so I was making up for it... she's a gardener so she got the joke but Mr Bat was horrified.

I gave him my usual line "You married me sucker!" but then I grope his butt and he smiles so we r all good.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:20 AM   #3539
Solumina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
So is a four year degree considered an advanced degree? is that a 3 year degree and honours?

Over here we have a standard 3 year degree, or else maybe 4 years with a double degree (two majors), then a fourth year of honours, and then 2 years of Masters - or you can go honors to PhD.

Just curious.
Here four years is standard but a four year degree can be done in 3 without a problem if you do summer and/or J-term classes. We don't really have honors, I mean you can graduate with honors but it is just about how well you do (like Jake's sister will be graduating with honors this Saturday for her 4.0 as well as for getting additional practical experience (she was a trainer for a couple of their athletic teams and her major is physical therapy).

A standard masters is two years but there are many programs that offer a five year program incorporating both a baccalaureate and masters (like the masters in teaching offered at my school) where you have a very specific course structure pretty much the whole time. You do get two separate degrees and if you decided that you really don't want that masters after all then you would still have your undergrad after the four years.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 PM   #3540
Fruitbat

Thanks Sol

Old 04-29-2011, 12:51 AM   #3541
Still Jack

After my laptop hard drive fried itself, and much turmoil of getting the fucker replaced, your favourite ginger dickhead is back.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:46 AM   #3542
honeythorn

Watched the royal wedding since something about it is on almost every channel and I don't have sky. Not too excruciating actually, and the kiss on the balcony looked genuine ( having seen footage of Charles and Diana, theirs looked really stilted and rehearsed ) . Her dress was really beautiful too.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #3543
Fruitbat

I'm leaving ya all for a few days

HT - watched the wedding... Loved it... total romantic... hope it lasts. The Queen might be the last monach to be married for any great length of time.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:32 AM   #3544
honeythorn

I have just been propositioned whilst jogging. What the hell is going on? I knew there was a good reason I don't exercise outside even in summer. I'll wear a burkha(sp?) next time. The slightly sweaty red headed look is apparantly terribly attractive round here. I got honked at 15 mins later by a white van man !
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 AM   #3545
Ben Lahnger

I woke up early, noticed the royal wedding was on every frickin' channel, wanted to avoid all that pomp and circumstantial evidence of a culture ... so I dug into the DVD library and started a 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'/'Angel' marathon. I'm watching them for the first time in the recommended order to make sense of every crossover appearance ( http://tinyurl.com/buffyangelepguide ).

I was going to watch 'The Princess Bride' but, well, you know.

I also just learned that in the first volume of the BTVS Omnibus comic trade paperbacks there is a story that re-imagines the script from the original Buffy movie in a way that is more true to Whedon's intent and makes the story fit the television show's canon storyline. That might be worth picking up and reading some time soon.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 04-29-2011, 11:53 AM   #3546
Catch

I didn't get out bed until almost noon.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #3547
Solumina

I made myself sleep deprived for pretty much no reason. The person who will be staying with us will in fact be moving in next weekend, she has a week long break before her next set of classes start and she will be spending that week up with her family, she just wanted to drop some stuff off before she went home. I mean yeah the place did need to be organized and cleaned (as we hadn't been using that room for anything other than storage it was a little dusty and filled with boxes) but I didn't need to stay up that late doing it after work.

Oh well now it will be all the easier to de-stress in the next few days.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 AM   #3548
Saya

My mom wants a dog, and she particularly wants a boston terrier, and it made me sad because they're rare in Newfoundland shelters, so I figured it would be hard to deter her from going to a breeder. But we found this guy from the humane society!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/19405329

It says he's special needs but mom has experience with special needs dogs, so we'll call later today to find out what his needs are and if he's still available ^_^ I'm excited, mom has been living all alone since we had to put Jess down last summer.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #3549
Ben Lahnger

Microsoft has found a way to make sure nobody ever gets the dreaded Windows "blue screen of death" ever again.

Thats because in Windows 8 ... it's going to be black.

the rolling in money,
the screamingly funny,

Old 05-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #3550
Catch

It is a nice evening. I am happy it is Spring again. Getting warm enough to go outside again. Even the rain is nice.