Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
Barfing_Rat

Barfing Rat

1. What do you do?
I'm a deaf college student. I'm studying photography and business. I do mixed martial arts and kickboxing as a hobby.

2. Where are you from?
I've lived in southern Calif, Las Vegas, Washington DC, and now I'm living in Chico, Ca. I love it here and will not move out of Chico unless I'm moving out of the country.

3. Who is your favorite author?
Robert Young Pelton, one awesome crazy bastard!

4. What are your favorite films?
Indiana Jones, Young Indiana Jones, 300, and Robin Hood; Men in Thigh.

5. What music do you want played at your wedding?
Eh... battle drum? That's only thing I really feel and care much for.

6. At your funeral?
None. I prefer silence.

7. This IS a gothic website, so... how do you want to die?
Getting killed in process of doing something crazy.

8. What kind of casket would you want?
None... I want to be burned to ashes and scattered into air.

9. What's your FAVORITE outfit?
My black jeans, white long sleeves buttoned shirt, corduory black sport jacket, and my Puma shoes.

10. What's one thing you miss about being a little kid?
Living in a small farming community, being outside, run around all over the place with bunches of kids, and stay outside until it get dark then come in for a nice home cooked meal. Blah I'm so glad I'm one of the last generation to have those.

11. What's your favorite band?
None

12. What kind of education do you have? What is/was/will be your major?
I have some college education... I use to major in anthropology, but now I'm majoring in photography and business.

13. Why did you join?
Because I've always liked to be round goth crowds. So I thought I'd give it a shot.

14. If the first 13 questions didn't give it away. What is your gender?
Male

Not sure if anyone pick this up by now, but I'm not goth at all. However I can tell difference between poser and a actual goth and have known a couple of them.
Also keep in mind I'm deaf so I know absolutely nothing about music.
Barfing_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #2
lostintranslation

Welcome barfing rat. Intriguing name choice, by the way. Also, what sort of photography are you into? Goth or not, I hope you enjoy your stay at G-Net!
lostintranslation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:44 PM   #3
Barfing_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintranslation
Welcome barfing rat. Intriguing name choice, by the way. Also, what sort of photography are you into? Goth or not, I hope you enjoy your stay at G-Net!
Haha thanks. First time I made up a silly name.

I don't really have any specific photography I'm into. I will try anything at least once. I enjoy nature, portrait, glamor, and high fashion photography. But I've done wedding (not my thing), kids (again... not my thing), architecture, and other kind.

I'm hoping to try make myth/legend and The Grimm Brother into a reality. I recently did a shooting of a red riding hood in forest. If I have a female friend is into photography and can find a spindle, I'd try do Beauty Sleeping one. I would love to try set those kind of things up and take a picture of it.

I enjoy photographing punk and goth girls very much! But I've not met any in my city that I feel comfort enough to approach yet Eventhough I'm not a goth or punk, I find them to be some of the most beautiful and creative girls around and they are also fun! I'd pick one over ten super models any day!

Eh... I feel kinda dumb but... how do I post a picture here? I can show one of photography I recently did.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
Lolly PopMuzik

Welcome! Hmm...Do you use ASL or use a cochlear implant?
Old 06-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #5
Barfing_Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolly PopMuzik
Welcome! Hmm...Do you use ASL or use a cochlear implant?
Thanks!

I use PSE which stand for Pigoden Signing English is basically ASL in English order.

No I don't have cochlear, not because of deaf pride or anything. But because if I get one then I'm afraid it will really mess me up. I'm use to live in a silent world, so I don't think I'll handle it well if I regain my ability to hear.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Hmm yes lack of hearing could be a problem in when trying to answer the music questions. But welcome.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #7
lostintranslation

Very cool on the photography front. I wasn't sure when you said photography if you meant something like "I take pictures of people when I'm partying" or "I do full out photo shoots" or "If I'm every hiking, I bring my camera". I also enjoy photography, but I'm not too amazing at it. Then again, my experience with photography and training has been very minimal so I hope to someday improve my skills.

What made you switch majors?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been deaf?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Barfing_Rat

Thanks Lost. Believe it or not... I'm not someone who you see carry a camera around often lol. May because my camera is huge, not a simple small snap and shoot type. I usually come up with a picture in mind before I shoot it. As for your skill, if you have a question, feel free to email me and I'll try to help.

As for switching major, I wasnt a great student. I love to research and read and stuff, but... when it come to home work and all tiny pain in ass details research and everything. good luck getting me to do it. Then I found out that if I want to do anything with field of anthropology or archaeology, I will need at least a doctorate degree and even with the required degree, it's hard to get a career I want. Plus being deaf... it will just make it harder. Even if I do some how manage to get what I want, the pay suck really badly! I've been told that some of those people make only $15 a hour. Who want to put themselves through a intense competition just to make that much?
So I decided that I'd just major in something else that doesn't required as much schooling and will put my future in my own hands. Since photography and business is all about your skill and ability to do something. I decided it's the best thing for me to try my hands at. It seems true so far...

I've been deaf since I was 2 and half. I'm 24 years old now. So that make it 22 and half years.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 PM   #9
Miss Cogs

Welcome.
I'm into photography as well. ^^
My photos do not come out too well because my camera is a 5.2 megapixel Finepix from Fujifilm. That and I am a quite new. Any chance we'll be able to see some of your work?
Miss Cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
lostintranslation

I can see why you switched majors. Good luck, and I hope the choice works out to your advantage.

I'm only in high school, so I don't have to amazing at photography yet. I'd be a bit better if my camera wasn't from the 70's, but hey, I make it ok. I'd love to see some of your work though! Any chance you'll be putting some up any time soon?
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #11
Renatus

Location: Back in Wisconsin(thinking about invading the south)
Oh and also about your posting pictures question, you cannot post pictures directly on the site, only links to pictures and your links all get censored untill you reach a certain number of posts but you can bypass the censor.

"Never overestimate the intellect of someone so foolish that they would exploit and perpetuate stupidity in the people around them, for they create their own damnation as they tear out and sell the pillars that support society as a whole, bringing it crashing down upon them."-me

“I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”- Einstein
Renatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
HumanePain

Location: the concrete and steel beehive of Southern California
A lifelong friend of mine is a professor of music at Chico State, but since you are not involved in music you probably don't know him. Anyway, welcome.

HumanePain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 PM   #13
Barfing_Rat

Cogs, it is cool that you're into photography too. As for your camera... don't let that stop you. Believe it or not, a 4.0 Megapixel is more than enough for most professional photographers. Yes your camera may have limits, but it doesn't mean you cannot take great pictures. Taking a good pictures is all about your creativity, how you see things, and capturing things at right time. You can always capture a nice sunset, nice landscape, people, etc... with almost any camera. If you have a photoshop, that will help you even more.

Lost, thanks. It will work out. So you want to do photography? Don't worry about what year film camera was made. You can still capture a great pictures. Photography isn't about technology, it is about your skill. Newer camera techniques just make things easier and work faster but it will never make you a better photographer.

So it is useless for me to post a link? I'd like to post some links to the pictures... Any idea how many posts I need to have before my links won't be censored?

HP, I probably won't know him. But since Chico is a tiny city and I'm a good friend with a man who is very into music and use to teach at college, he may know your friend.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #14
Miss Cogs

That may be true. I have taken some great photos so far in my opinion and I do love them a lot. Although I am saving up for this .^^ I do not have photoshop, I use GIMP. Although, I hardly use it for anything. I'm a big fan of contrast. I just use the crop tool, contrast and lighting and sometimes, colourize tools. Then again sometimes, I also use softglow. But other then that, it's just my photography alone.

What camera do you use?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #15
lostintranslation

I've done some pretty good pictures with my camera, but it can be a royal pain to use. Do you use digital?
Old 06-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #16
Barfing_Rat

Cog, I use Olympus E300. I kinda regret getting that one. I was so close to get a Nikon D70 but I went with E300 because it's newer. BIG mistake... It's just impossible to find anything for Olympus and if I do then it is just insanely expensive!

Lost, yes I use digital but I collect old film cameras. I once took a film photography class. I doesn't like it at all! Lol always have worst luck with film camera. So I know what you mean by royalty pain in ass.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #17
Miss Cogs

[quote=Barfing_Rat]Cog, I use Olympus E300. I kinda regret getting that one. I was so close to get a Nikon D70 but I went with E300 because it's newer. BIG mistake... It's just impossible to find anything for Olympus and if I do then it is just insanely expensive!
I also hear that Olympus has lighting and contrasting issues when so when you go to edit you have to lighten and add a bit of contrast to the photo.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Barfing_Rat

[quote=Miss Cogs]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barfing_Rat
I also hear that Olympus has lighting and contrasting issues when so when you go to edit you have to lighten and add a bit of contrast to the photo.
Yes it does have some issue with that. I never recognized until a friend who also is a photographer pointed it out to me.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #19
Miss Cogs

Do you have a dA by chance? So I can see your work?
Old 06-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #20
korinna5555

Welcome!
I live in Northern VA.. DC smells bad, lulz.

I bet you'd like the drum circles I attend.. you can really feel the vibrations, and it's very relaxing.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:41 AM   #21
††BlackRose††

Welcome to the boards!
Enjoy your stay.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #22
DarkenedReveries

Welcome, I hope you like it here.
DarkenedReveries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #23
Barfing_Rat

Cog, unfortunately I don't have DA Every time I tried to set a account, always have some problem so I gave up.

Lol I actually like Washington DC but... I just don't consider east coast my home.

As for the drum lol I don't know how that would be relaxing. I just like the feel of the vibrate though.

Thanks Darken.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #24
manequin

Welcome! I hope you enjoy it here.
manequin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
Miss Cogs

dA didn't work? o_o Well, then I'm going to give you a link cause I want to see your work. >:[

http://www.carbonmade.com/

I better see your work of else, I'll haunt you! I'll haunt you REAL good too.