Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > TV, Movies, & Games
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

TV, Movies, & Games Talk about your favorite TV shows, movies, games, and other media here. Or don't. We don't want to tell you what to do or anything.

View Poll Results: Your Favorite Trilogy
Matrix 7 17.07%
StarWars(Epispde) 6 14.63%
Lord of the Rings 28 68.29%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2003, 05:58 PM   #1
FrederickChaos

Your Favorite Trilogy

So many great Trilogies these years, so select your Favorite one(The StarWars Epispde 3 and the return of the king hasn't released, but if you are fans you won't mind for that , right?)
FrederickChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 07:20 PM   #2
maizycrow

Actually, I am in great anticipation for "Return of the King"! I can't wait to find out what Smeagle is planning to do to Frodo and Sam!

And ah, Legolas! :wink: *pant*

Maizy
maizycrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 09:50 PM   #3
Daz

well nice to see that so far we are all in agreement. ya i know there are only three votes at this point. if you wanna know what happens you could always read the books.

to tell the truth i was a little worried about these movies coming out. peter jackson had only done little films up to this point. but now that i've seen the movies i'm starting to think that it was a good thing. he wasnt all corrupted by Hollywood. he did what needed to be done to make the movies as magical as the books. Tolkien's not turning in his grave tonight :twisted:
Old 11-24-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
FrederickChaos

I thought the matrix would be a challenging competitor to the lord of the rings, though I voted the lord of the rings. It Seems I was wrong, for the moment...
FrederickChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:43 AM   #5
Nike

My vote was the Lord of the rings...even though I don't like the Arwen-romantic part of the movie and some other changes they did-of course it's hard to avoid that;I'm looking forwards to the final warszenes, and, well, Gimli. I like the dwarfs
Nike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
Takhisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone
Make mine the Dead trilogy.
Heh, same here. That or the Evil Dead trilogy.
Takhisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:02 PM   #7
pitseleh

I like The Omen trilogy. A boy and his dog... *sigh*
Also enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy, though many
of my friends who have read the book 10 or 15 times
think the films are atrociously laughable. :?
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
MrMaelstrom

I actually think there aren't that many changes to the book.
Considering all the book and comic book "adaptations" I've seen so far, this is the only one which actually resembles the original art it spawned from.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:15 PM   #9
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh
Also enjoy the Lord of the Rings trilogy, though many
of my friends who have read the book 10 or 15 times
think the films are atrociously laughable. :?
yes and no...there are a lot of parts I disliked (I read the books once a year-it was one of the first books I have read....I have forgotten why I m still doing it , but I've become so used to this tradition that I'm keeping it alive); I could tell you many scenes in the movie that I disliked (which would make this post longer than I want it to be). But after all it was a big quest to make a movie to a book that is working with the phantasy and imagination of the reader. I think the athmosphere in the movie-the landscapes, moria, isengard, -all the places, were not a disappointment-at least for me. I liked the orks, the armies in general, and the fighting scenes were really impressive.
I still don't think the movies can ever be a substitute for the books.
Old 11-25-2003, 12:23 PM   #10
Nike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaelstrom
I actually think there aren't that many changes to the book.
Considering all the book and comic book "adaptations" I've seen so far, this is the only one which actually resembles the original art it spawned from.
I haven't read that many adaptions so it is hard to compare for me.
examples for changes from the book: most of the Arwen parts presented in the film do not take place in the books. The Warg scene never happened in the book; the elves never came to the battle of the hornburg to support the humans; there are many more, but I doubt anyone would want me to go on.
Old 11-25-2003, 03:39 PM   #11
Daz

im not so sure jackson had a choice about the love story thing even though it doesnt belong in there. from what i've heard he made the first movie his way, the second movie was to appease hollywood and the third is back to the way he wanted it. hollywood has a way of perverting perfectly good stories just because they are more worried about the money than the story.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:12 PM   #12
MrMaelstrom

Droping the "rings" for a bit, isn't Star Wars a hexalogy rather than a trilogy? I mean, there are six of them (last one still to be released) and not three.
Old 12-14-2003, 06:33 PM   #13
Bella

The Lord of the Rings is amazing

My vote has to go for Lord of the Rings, it has such a wonderful plot and Legolas, what more can I say :lol:
But when the third X-Men comes out, I might have to change my vote since it's the epitome of Goth literature and movies.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 06:40 PM   #14
Daz

Re: The Lord of the Rings is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
My vote has to go for Lord of the Rings, it has such a wonderful plot and Legolas, what more can I say :lol:
But when the third X-Men comes out, I might have to change my vote since it's the epitome of Goth literature and movies.
lol like that statement isnt gonna cause some heat :twisted:
Old 12-14-2003, 06:45 PM   #15
MrMaelstrom

Re: The Lord of the Rings is amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella
WHAT??!!!! Your age ends in "teen", doesn't it?
Old 12-14-2003, 08:12 PM   #16
Bella

Ok, so I started something

WHAT??!!!! Your age ends in "teen", doesn't it?

My age ends in 4, as in 34. I've been Goth since I was 9, back in the 80s, and I do like more in this world than just the X-men.
But there is something compelling about all the misfits, the good and evil, the paradox of how the supposedly good character wants to solve all the problems by behaving in a civilized manner that only provokes the mainstream people and how the supposedly evil character wants to behave just like the mainstream people to solve the problem. It's a very compelling movie.
But then I like a wide variety of genres, I can see Gothic elements in a lot of things because of the good and evil paradoxes and the ways some movies switch good and evil around.
I love The Matrix, I love Star Wars, and of course I love Lord of the Rings, but I also love Star Trek and X-men and that doesn't make me a teenager or a trekie LOL.
I suppose you didn't like the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen either?
I thought the use of literary characters was genius and the paradox and switchback between what was good and evil was extrordinary.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:42 PM   #17
Icegoblin

I'd have to go with the Lord of the Rings as far as the poll is concerned. But I'd have to say my favorite trilogy of all time is the MAD MAX films.
Icegoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:34 AM   #18
Perfectly_Flawed

I'd say The Matrix trilogy ... though it was a bit scattergun at times. Hit or miss.

However I haven't seen or read LoTR so I'm not casting a vote.
Perfectly_Flawed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 04:10 AM   #19
MrsGrimm

Yes, the Evil Dead trilogy is about as fine a trilogy as you can get. As far the the three listed in the poll - - well, I'm a big Matrix chick, so that trilogy gets my vote.
MrsGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:06 AM   #20
Asurai

The Lord of the Rings. Jackson changed too many things from the books, even if for practicality, I think; but his trilogy is still easily the best.
Asurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 08:31 AM   #21
MrMaelstrom

Bella babe, I don't mean to pick on you, but if you go for that Good vs Evil thing, you can explain away almost every movie.
Sure, there's the struggle between good and evil in "The Sound of Music", but there ain't no way in hell I'm gonna watch such drivel.

"The hills are alive with the sound of...BANG!"
Old 12-15-2003, 10:03 AM   #22
secretboy

Well, what I think Bella was trying to say is that there's a lot more moral complexity in the X-men movies than in, say, the Lord of the Rings or other movies out with the same sweeping, epic feel. The first movie especially, where nearly all the major characters had good reasons for doing what they did, even the 'bad guys'.

It does make it more compelling, at least to me. I also think that the X-men series is a lot more about character development - which makes it a little slower. I'm really looking forward to the third movie, just to see where they go with it, even as an old fan of the comic books.

As for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, well, that's where Bella and I disagree. But I'm a fan of the (new) comics and well, it's like cake and dry toast, comparing the two.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:18 AM   #23
MrMaelstrom

The original comic books were a lot more complex than the films (obviously). As for reasons for their actions and Good vs Evil, Even Dragonballz is better. At least bad guys mend their ways, learn from their mistakes and become good guys, instead of getting stuck in the same stereotype.

And one more thing about the movie: if any decent goth with enough hair can style it like Wolverine (my fave character), why can't hollywood?
Old 12-15-2003, 11:43 AM   #24
secretboy

I think in terms of character development, if you compare two movies to either comic book series that number in the many hundreds of issues, or television series that number in nearly a thousand episodes, you'll find the movies are always fairly lacking. No matter what.

That being said, compared to other movies in the same vein, I think the X-Men still hold as being more challenging and worthwhile. But I will always be a fan of movies that veer from the 'bad guys are bad' philosophy that, of the three trilogies listed above, only the Matrix trilogy comes close to going against, and that seems tacked on, IMHO.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:13 PM   #25
Daz

did you know you can download all the comics now
my room mate stopped collecting at least 10 years ago but he's all caught up now, got them offa bit torrent