Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Introductions This is a forum for members (new and old) to introduce themselves and get to know each other. Start a new thread and introduce yourself. Tell us a little about what you like and what you are into and such.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM   #51
JCC

Vegetarianism is also dumb if it's for ethical reasons.
JCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #52
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underwater Ophelia
Crowbar, just so you know, fish are treated just as inhumanely as other animals raised for food.

Also, pescetarianism isn't anymore healthy than being a vegan who takes vitamins.
But I like fish and it's good for you, and so therefore I've made that choice.
MitsyMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #53
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Vegetarianism is also dumb if it's for ethical reasons.
Why are you a vegan?
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #54
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsyMayhem
But I like fish and it's good for you, and so therefore I've made that choice.
I don't care whether or not you make the choice to eat fish or meat or not.
But fish really isn't that good for you. It's full of mercury and farm raised fish is often full of crap like disease and ammonia because the fish are all packed in a tank with their own waste.
Underwater Ophelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #55
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
I don't care whether or not you make the choice to eat fish or meat or not.
But fish really isn't that good for you. It's full of mercury and farm raised fish is often full of crap like disease and ammonia because the fish are all packed in a tank with their own waste.
Ew. That's disgusting.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #56
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Ew. That's disgusting.
Cheap, though.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #57
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Cheap, though.
And no one does anything about this why?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:12 PM   #58
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
And no one does anything about this why?
Same reason we have BET and black people sometimes having trouble getting jobs--most people don't give a shit.

Keeping hundreds of fish in a tank is cruel to the fish and leads to them having insanely high mercury and ammonia levels, but who wants to pay extra for fish caught in the wild?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM   #59
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Same reason we have BET and black people sometimes having trouble getting jobs--most people don't give a shit.

Keeping hundreds of fish in a tank is cruel to the fish and leads to them having insanely high mercury and ammonia levels, but who wants to pay extra for fish caught in the wild?
It's official. I think I might eat imitation meat in my sushi from now on.
I'm curious as well, do you have a particular diet preference, Ophie?
Old 10-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #60
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
It's official. I think I might eat imitation meat in my sushi from now on.
I'm curious as well, do you have a particular diet preference, Ophie?
Well, I would think sushi is ok, because it has to pass much higher quality standards, so it's unlikely they'd use farmed meat. You could always ask.

As for my own diet, I'm pretty much a carnivore, but I LOVE fish. Sushi is one of my very favorite foods, and I've had lots of different and neat kinds of sea creatures to eat.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 PM   #61
JCC

I'm vegan because I hate people's unfounded hypocrisy about animals, including my own. I wouldn't kill and eat a cat or a dog and yet they've presented nothing that makes them better than a pig or a cow. Millions of pets will get Christmas presents this year, others will be killed and made into Christmas dinner after horrid lives of standing in their own waste in pens too small to lie down in, pumped full of chemicals and shit. I don't have dairy because cows have to be pregnant to produce milk, which means they're going to conceive, and 50% of those calves will be male. These calves are shot. I don't eat eggs because the chickens are fertilised and then lay fertilised eggs so that they have female chicks to keep things going, again, there's going to be males, who tend to just get crushed. Wool, sheep die from premature exposure. Honey, bees are crushed, queen bees are killed regularly. Silk, silkworms are killed. Vegetarianism is for the fucking naive.

Plus, veganism is far more productive, poverty could be wiped out.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:43 PM   #62
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Well, I would think sushi is ok, because it has to pass much higher quality standards, so it's unlikely they'd use farmed meat. You could always ask.

As for my own diet, I'm pretty much a carnivore, but I LOVE fish. Sushi is one of my very favorite foods, and I've had lots of different and neat kinds of sea creatures to eat.
Oh. Whew. I'm good. When I eat fish, it's usually Japanese food. It's a big thing at my house. Traditionally we have ebi. (Not Cali Rolls. They are okay, but I prefer actual raw sushi). I also go to Japan Fest every year. Last time I actually ate two whole platters.

I love fish too. It's my favorite food. Hence, I could never give it up. I really like octopus though. It's chewy, but in a good way. Not like "When can I swallow this thing?!" I've always wanted to try blow fish. But if I do, I'm going to Japan to get it. It's hard to prepare and the American's that attempt it don't get it right and the last thing I want is end up poisoned.

What neat foods have you eaten? I'm genuinely curious.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #63
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
I'm vegan because I hate people's unfounded hypocrisy about animals, including my own. I wouldn't kill and eat a cat or a dog and yet they've presented nothing that makes them better than a pig or a cow. Millions of pets will get Christmas presents this year, others will be killed and made into Christmas dinner after horrid lives of standing in their own waste in pens too small to lie down in, pumped full of chemicals and shit. I don't have dairy because cows have to be pregnant to produce milk, which means they're going to conceive, and 50% of those calves will be male. These calves are shot. I don't eat eggs because the chickens are fertilised and then lay fertilised eggs so that they have female chicks to keep things going, again, there's going to be males, who tend to just get crushed. Wool, sheep die from premature exposure. Honey, bees are crushed, queen bees are killed regularly. Silk, silkworms are killed. Vegetarianism is for the fucking naive.

Good explanation.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #64
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Oh. Whew. I'm good. When I eat fish, it's usually Japanese food. It's a big thing at my house. Traditionally we have ebi. (Not Cali Rolls. They are okay, but I prefer actual raw sushi). I also go to Japan Fest every year. Last time I actually ate two whole platters.

I love fish too. It's my favorite food. Hence, I could never give it up. I really like octopus though. It's chewy, but in a good way. Not like "When can I swallow this thing?!" I've always wanted to try blow fish. But if I do, I'm going to Japan to get it. It's hard to prepare and the American's that attempt it don't get it right and the last thing I want is end up poisoned.

What neat foods have you eaten? I'm genuinely curious.
All sorts of fish eggs, raw shellfish on the half-shell, sea urchin.
Most of these things are pretty tame to someone who regularly eats sushi, I should think, but they are strange by supermarket standards.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #65
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC

I'd eat a cat or a dog.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:57 PM   #66
Jillery

I have not yet seen the original Wickerman but I'd love to! Unfortunatly I love the Nicholas Cage version *hides*. I generally like any movie though (except chick flicks).

I'm new too, by the way!
Jillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #67
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
All sorts of fish eggs, raw shellfish on the half-shell, sea urchin.
Most of these things are pretty tame to someone who regularly eats sushi, I should think, but they are strange by supermarket standards.
I've had maybe three different types of fish eggs. Never an urchin, however. Where did you managed to acquire that?
Yes, a bit strange. I should go to the supermarket and ask them for an urchin, and see what they say.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:05 PM   #68
MitsyMayhem

Quote:
I'd eat a cat or a dog.
I'd try it, because I love new experiences. However, I'd have to force myself a bit. I'm a crazy cat lover.
Old 10-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #69
Godslayer Jillian

Eating an animal still doesn't excuse the unnecessary torture of them.
I'm still a meat eater, but I mention this because I got so fucking mad with some people because of this.
We were talking about bullfighting, and I casually mention that I've been thinking about it recently, and it's nowhere near as bad as hat we do to animals we eat.
Then everyone proceeded to saying that it's different because it's for food.
FOOLS!
It's one of the most fucking stupid things I've heard to think that just because they're used as food it forgives all the shit that they go through, like being skinned alive, *****, opened, have their talons shredded, make them lay eggs until their uteruses are expelled from their bodies...

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #70
JCC

Quote:
I'd try it, because I love new experiences. However, I'd have to force myself a bit. I'm a crazy cat lover.
Why would you force yourself to kill something you apparently 'love'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
Eating an animal still doesn't excuse the unnecessary torture of them.
I'm still a meat eater, but I mention this because I got so fucking mad with some people because of this.
We were talking about bullfighting, and I casually mention that I've been thinking about it recently, and it's nowhere near as bad as hat we do to animals we eat.
Then everyone proceeded to saying that it's different because it's for food.
FOOLS!
It's one of the most fucking stupid things I've heard to think that just because they're used as food it forgives all the shit that they go through, like being skinned alive, *****, opened, have their talons shredded, make them lay eggs until their uteruses are expelled from their bodies...
Yeah, people's hypocrisy is bullshit. People get prosecuted for keeping hens in too small conditions when it's in their back yard, in factories there are no rules.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #71
TheSomnambulist

You're right, JCC, vegetarianism is hypocrisy. Unfortunately, I had to start eating dairy products when I entered college because I discovered that everything has some kind of dairy in it, or some kind of meat. Everything in the cafeteria is cross-contaminated with what is next to it. I constantly feel like a horrible person for eating things with dairy, but there's nothing else to consume. I'm considering just buying my own food, but the money I had to spend on a mandatory meal plan will be going to waste. I have no idea.
TheSomnambulist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:51 PM   #72
Godslayer Jillian

You could change that. Over here we're pushing for more vegan options. It seems they're going to put a cafeteria with more options by next year.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM   #73
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
I've had maybe three different types of fish eggs. Never an urchin, however. Where did you managed to acquire that?
Yes, a bit strange. I should go to the supermarket and ask them for an urchin, and see what they say.
I had it in a Japanese restaurant.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM   #74
Underwater Ophelia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCC
Why would you force yourself to kill something you apparently 'love'?
You don't have to eat your own cat to eat a cat.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:23 AM   #75
Fae-wolf

hello, nice to meet you
Fae-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote