Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 05-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Solumina

Food

Well I'm sure I can't be the only person on here that likes to cook (and eat) so I thought it was about time we had a thread where we can talk all about food. You can talk about your favorite recipes, exchange cooking tips, heck you can even ask for advice on getting a new kitchen appliance.

Personally my area of expertise happens to be desserts. I've made desserts so good that my mother and even grandmothers have asked me to teach her how to make them (and they all know their way around a kitchen) so if anyone needs any help with desserts I would be more than happy to do so.

I will finally have my own kitchen at school in the fall and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas for really simple meals that will feed a bunch of people (up to about 8 people) cuz I have been told that since I like to cook my roomies will pay for most of the groceries if I fix the food since none of them really like to cook that much.
Live a life evolutionary with me
-Carbon Leaf
Solumina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 06:02 PM   #2
NachtSorcier

I can cook pretty much anything if I put my mind to it. I seem to have trouble making cakes from scratch, though. I tried one time to make a chocolate cake from your basic flour, egg, and sugar sponge cake recipe with cocoa powder added. It didn't rise very much and it was kinda dry. I have yet to figure out what exactly it is that makes cake moist.

I try to make cookies sometimes too and those also turn out dry.

So I guess desserts aren't my strong suit. But any kind of main course type of thing I can do pretty well at. I like to make things that have a lot of ingredients, like soup. I make a mess when I cook, but that's part of the fun, yeah?

Visit my online store: http://www.websofsilver.com
NachtSorcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Cicero

I go through my stages of cooking crazes.

Desserts are my favourite, but I also love to make pasta (sometimes from scratch, sometimes not) and other Italian deliciousnesses. I'll also try my hand at Indonesian sometimes - recently succeeding in throwing together some spring rolls.

My greatest successes have been a killer spaghetti bolognese, and the sort of cheesecake-and-chocolate-mousse trifle that can get called "orgasmic" multiple times by multiple people.

NachtSorcier - I'm no expert on the causes of dry cakes, but I do know a remedy for them once they're baked: brush a bit of syrup or jam over the top before icing it. It'll sink in and moisten it up a bit.
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 07:33 PM   #4
NachtSorcier

What sort of syrup or jam goes with chocolate cake?

Old 05-25-2006, 07:47 PM   #5
Cicero

Perhaps a plain sugar syrup? I've also heard strawberry jam can go quite well with chocolate cake.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
Sharkman_75

I love to cook!

My favorites are entrees, sides, and starters. I'm not so experienced with salads and desserts.
Sharkman_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #7
horrorgirl

I make really good cakes, cookies, and muffins. :-)

I'm gothtastically delicious!
horrorgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Sanctus Dei

I make everything... perfectly.

Okay in truth... I've been cooking professionally for about 7 years now, from saute' to sauces to soups to sushi to sweets... I'm a stellar short order cook and I'm in the process of learning to toss dough (fer pizzas!!) I've worked in both higher end dinner type places to short order breakfast... but right now...I'm all about pizza. It's amazing to work with dough, it's so hands on and touchy... I can't wait until I prefect my techniques.
Your blatant disregard and lack of respect for the members here pisses me off. You think that just because Sanctus likes you for some reason(?) , that you can act like a bastard and get absolutely no comeuppance? Fuck you dickwad!

-Never mistake my tolerance for fucking approval.... never.
Sanctus Dei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
bjork_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachtSorcier
What sort of syrup or jam goes with chocolate cake?
Cherry. That sounds good. Or maybe caramel.
bjork_freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Solumina

Well my favorite taste combo is raspberry and chocolate so you could try raspberry, as for why it is dry in the first place you could be coking it at too high of a temp so the first thing I would do is make sure that your oven is heating up to the right temp (I set mine about 25* below what I want cuz there is something wrong with its internal thermometer thingy and it gets hotter than I want it to)
-Carbon Leaf
Old 05-26-2006, 09:36 AM   #11
NachtSorcier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solumina
Well my favorite taste combo is raspberry and chocolate so you could try raspberry, as for why it is dry in the first place you could be coking it at too high of a temp so the first thing I would do is make sure that your oven is heating up to the right temp (I set mine about 25* below what I want cuz there is something wrong with its internal thermometer thingy and it gets hotter than I want it to)
Yeah, that is true. I used to work in a school kitchen and one of my co-workers told me to always set the oven a few notches below where the recipe dictates.

Strawberry, cherry, and caramel sound pretty good, though I'm not a big raspberry person myself, especially since I find most raspberry jams come loaded with seeds.

Damn, now I have a craving for chocolate-covered cherries.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:22 AM   #12
Monsosin

I'm not sure if I can cook or not, but I'll eat almost anything. If any one needs some one to taste test their food I'm game. If I get sick from it you owe me one bag of cookies, my choice.
Monsosin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:59 AM   #13
Elder

As you can tell from the sushi thread, I've had a go at making my own with quite good results. Maybe not catering standard but for eating at home, great.

I'm a dab hand at making curry (asian indian/pakistani), and some stirfry type chinese dishes. I lke spicey foods.

Also, pan fried fish is a favourite of mine, lightly floured and fried quickly before it burns on the outside, Mackeral, Sea bass, or Dorades by preference.

Also, if you get a chance, try West Indian Goat curry, with rice and peas. Excellent, best curry I've ever had.
Elder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
spookypurple

Aha! I wanted to start a 'gothic gourmet' thread but goody! No need!

Here's the companion piece to what I posted in another thread:

MANGO ICE CREAM

You will need:
mango

That's it.
Skin the mango Chop flesh into chunks. Stick in a plastic bag. Stick bag in the freezer. When you want ice cream, take a handful of chunks out, let them sit for about 5 minutes. Stick in a blender. You may need to add a teaspoon of water to get it whizzing round creamily. Ta-daaaah! Mango ice cream!

(Obviously works well with very ripe bananas, which is what I posted in the other thread)

Hamlet
spookypurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:18 AM   #15
Jupetta

I'm told that I could cook well... but most of what I make are simple cakes, cookies, breads, or soups.
Jupetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #16
Child_of_Fury

My Japanese kitchen book is my best friend when I'm hungry. I love Japanese food, but if I'm not in the mood to cook, I pay a visit to the local Chinese restaurant, where I'm already a regular. Oriental food is pretty healthy, and it tastes good, too.
Child_of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 05:12 AM   #17
Cicero

I've been going through a Thai stage recently. For some strange reason, California had better Thai food than Malaysia does, and this country is oh hey! Look at that! Right next to Thailand! But anyway, ever since pigging out on Thai in Monterey Bay (of all places) I've been trying to replicate what I ate there.

Oh and I finally learnt how to make lumpiah (also known as spring rolls, but these are Indonesian and waaaay better). Incredible. I used to think restaurant ones were the best, but homemade they are heaven. Especially with some sweet chili sauce... Oooh yeah baby.

My Etsy store: www.Cicero1334.etsy.com

[And check out 1334 while you're at it: www.myspace.com/club1334 ]
Old 07-25-2006, 06:43 AM   #18
Minyaliel

Ah... cooking... one of my favourite past times. I'm only making vegetarian stuff, though... I like experimenting with these things. There have been times when I've made myself some kind of dinner and then afterwards catch myself wondering "now, how exactly did I do that?" lol.
I will always love you

- The Cure, "Love Song"
Minyaliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #19
sparklekittie

YAy, I love to cook. I make pasta. I'm an Italian fanatic. Pasta, pasta and more pasta. And pizza, but none of that delivered crap. Tomato, basil! Yum.

I love chocolate as well. And baking. I make an excellent fudge slice. I tend to put more cocoa into my chocolate baking :P
sparklekittie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:20 AM   #20
Diana

I can cook just about anything really well, but when it comes to eating; I'll just stick to the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #21
Solumina

Fear my necromancer powers!!!!!!!!!!*Evil Laugh*

Okay so yea I know it is a really old thread but I knew it was here (I did start the damn thing after all) and I wanted to bring it back up.

I was wondering/hoping that one or more of you lovely people may have some ideas for dinners that make for good leftovers. The reason that I ask is because my roommate and I have very little time on most weeknights to cook, let lone clean up afterwards, but we both have plenty of time on the weekends so it would be nice to make dinner on Saturday and Sunday and just use the leftovers during the week.
-Carbon Leaf
Old 01-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
Frozeninside

I love to bake, especially shortbread dipped in milk chocolate. Yum.
Frozeninside is offline   Reply With Quote