Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #776
GirlsNotMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
BlackWidow, one does not have to find a topic interesting to bother reading it or commenting on it. I find many things to be bland that I still bother myself with, and I am sure you do the same. It doesn't matter if something is of interest or not as long as it gives one something to do with their time, instead of just sitting around staring at their monitor (as I often do).
Furthermore, you don't have to be interested in something to be right about it. For instance, I'm not interested in Blackwidow's opinion in this thread, but I'm correct in evaluating that it is misled and illogical.
GirlsNotMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #777
Circle V

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow
And since when are Old Navy customers and stores interesting? lol. To each his own.
I never claimed that. My point was that defining oneself based on one's shopping choices is infantile.

This thread is contradictory, not I-- the topic is entirely uninteresting, and that's what makes the great amount of interest many posters appear to have in it interesting.

Anyway, boring topics sometimes make interesting threads.

There is no need to defend me.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #778
Pyre

People take one look at me and my clothing and automatically assume I shop at Hot Topic, even though the only thing I wear that was bought from there is my Robert Smith/Cure shirt. I buy all of my stuff at Ross, Macy's, Sears, et al. But nooo, I wear black, and black equals Hot Topic. -.-

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:51 PM   #779
goth4God

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]personally i dont care for HT like i once did. they have almost sold out their entire clothing line to the new emo/punk trend where its cool to go into the dark scary store and buy a stud belt, or the new tight pants 4 boys[ewwwww]...who remembers when HT sold SPIKES!!! now everything is stud or plastic. last week i was doing some Christmas shopping in my mall and i receaved the usual response from the mothers trying to hide their children from devil worshiping child eating goth [in full chains and spikes..they r so pretty], but when i walk into HT ,the place to b my refuge, and the emo kid behide the counter almost jumps out of his skin and wont even talk w me for fear of me causing him personal harm... thats just wrong...i now refuse to re-enter that store...any questions...[/font]
goth4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:55 PM   #780
Godslayer Jillian

I kind of agree with you, but spikes are not goth.
They seem more black metal to me.

I cleave to no system. I am a true seeker."
-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Carlin
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Godslayer Jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 10:56 PM   #781
goth4God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyre
People take one look at me and my clothing and automatically assume I shop at Hot Topic, -.-
the only place to buy anything worth spending money on is over seas and its making me sick n most of the spikes i wear r from HT back in the good old days or from friends who have dropped the fasion
goth4God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #782
Splintered

I <3 Black Metal.

Anyway.
Hot Topic is a strange place for me.
I went in there about, oh, a week ago.
I've never really taken the time to give Hot Topic a good look over. I've been there in passing, and I've seen their merchandise, but I've never really looked into what is actually in Hot Topic.

So, when I found out I was going there, I decided I would.

The first place I headed too, were the band T-Shirts. Hot Topic is supposed about the music (Or so I've been told), so I figured, that would be where the best variety is.

In total, there were 60 odd T-shirts, in total. (They had two display cases, one was 7 x 5, the other 6 x 5. So, if I'm doing my math right, 65.) Half of these T-Shirts, weren't even related to music. The ones that were, primarily centered around: Insane Clown Posse, Slipknot, and other various bands that fall somewhere within the "Metalcore" genre. That's all fine and dandy. I mean, these are respectable bands. (And no, I don't care about your opinion on whether you like them or not. As far as I am concerned, if you have the balls to get up in front of a stage and display your musical talent, or lack thereof, you get respect.) But there wasn't that much to choose from. In fact, taking a total, there was only one band that seemed even to touch anywhere outside of these genres (Cannibal Corpe). There was maybe one or two of the newer punk bands, and that was it. That pissed me off. Royally. I'd atleast expect something I'd remotely find on MTV. Maybe if we're lucky, something you'd see on headbanger's ball. But there was nothing. At all. I would have had better luck finding T-Shirts of bands I was thinking of at a Christian Fundamentalist Church.

So, after that revelation, I decided, maybe there's something else. Maybe, I can find my refuge of something that turns my crank, elsewhere. Belts. Nearby, were belts. I like belts.

But not these belts.
Oh no! These belts were crap. Half of them already were scratched up, or had something wrong with them. This is completely disregarding the fact that the belts were really ugly in my opinion. Someone else probably liked them. But they were damaged. What the fuck?!

Maybe Bracelets would show me salvation. Hot Topic could redeem themselves with bracelets. Nope. Frayed, ugly, and consisting of either "Nightmare Before Christmas", or random bands of the same genre of T-Shirts. Not what I was expecting.

I was crushed.

Then.
I found out they sold lingerie.
Maybe, just maybe, they could redeem themselves with my teenage sexuality. I would be so turned on, that I would worship at Hot Topic's feet.

Well. I'm writing this rant.
So, guess what? It was a whole bunch of poorly put together frills, and handcuffs. While the handcuffs may be kinky, they really just looked uncomfortable. They just looked... Bad. That was the only way to describe it.

So.
With my hopes crushed, and my dismay, I sauntered out of Hot Topic.
Destroyed.

And out of the glimpse of my eye, I saw something.
I couldn't believe my luck. Was it? Could it be? Yes.

What saved Hot Topic? Patches.
My love.
Patches.

They actually had a selection of fairly funny patches.

So? What did I learn from this?
Shop for Hot Topic for patches. Everything else, we have online stores for.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:37 PM   #783
Pyre

xD I very much enjoyed that rant, Splintered.
Yes, I have seen very little good come out of Hot Topic. They sold The Cure shirts at one point, but I haven't seen them since.
They also sell MSI shirts and now Dimmu Borgir shirts, both redeemable bands, but not enough to make up for all the HIM shirts and Angels and Airwaves shirts around. It was rather pathetic, and I was forced to spend about two hours in that store.

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you" The Bible (Matthew 7:12)
Pyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:35 AM   #784
BlackWidow

Ok damn, calm down! I wasnt trying to offend anyone here. You were making a point, or should I say opinion, and so was I so calm the fuck down guys. Dont kill me or anything over a forum about Hot Topic. It was just weird to me that you went out of your way to mention that this topic was boring and meaningless yet you waste your time on it. Usually if something is boring me, I dont waste my time on it. Clothes dont really define me. My personality does. And my clothing fits my personality. It's like a biy cycle yet, it doesnt quite relate to each other. I dont know. I like Hot Topic, it's my opinion. Let's not start more meaningless arguements over it.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM   #785
Circle V

Quote:
Ok damn, calm down!
I explained myself in my last post-- a post I feel was calm and reasonable. It isn't the topic that interests me: it is the reaction of the other posters to the topic.

Quote:
Clothes dont really define me. My personality does. And my clothing fits my personality.
I agree entirely.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #786
Crying_Crimson_Tears

I actually come to find I like the shirts at Hot Topic.

-Zach Galifianakis
Crying_Crimson_Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:54 PM   #787
BlackWidow

Oh I know it was calm and resonable. I just felt like everyone was getting all upset at me and attacking me over the comment I made. I know you explained yourself. So did I. And hey- at least we agreed on something!
Old 12-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #788
Vladinator

I have yet to find anything I like at HT, but, does anyone know where I could find cool looing neo victorian, or gothic clothing that isn't a walking add for the band of the week? Something like the suit the Brad Pitt look alike is wearing in the Evanescence video for "You Never Call Me When You're Sober" for example. Also, something less formal, everyday wear, type of stuff.

The only T-Shirts I really like are too geeky for most people to get. My current favorite is this purple shirt I have that says, "Back off! I could put you into Topor."
Vladinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:39 PM   #789
honeythorn

In the highly unlikley event of me visiting the US, I shall try to visit a Hot Topic store to see what all the fuss is about. It's just strange to me to hear of a chain store of this kind because we don't have them!!

I wonder if there is a website? I'm going to look now......
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM   #790
honeythorn

Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Ha! there are one or two stores in the Oasis that sell this kind of thing, a couple inside and one just next door. The emo people swarm all over the place in skinny jeans and spotted tops, studded belts and trousers halfway down their backsides.

I usually go to just a couple of stores in there, the two that sell gothic clothing are run by really nice people, and they gave me a discount card!!!!

I often buy some items from " normal " shops, and then do something with them when I get them home. I'm craptastic at sewing, but I just have a bash and cobble things together.

For example, I bought the same top as a friend because I really loved the hook and eye fastenings at the front, but I disliked the capped sleeves (Not a good look when you have arms the size of hams). So I cut the long lace sleeves off a top I could no longer get into, and stitched them onto the new top.
honeythorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:19 PM   #791
Vladinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeythorn
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear oh dear. Ha! there are one or two stores in the Oasis that sell this kind of thing, a couple inside and one just next door. The emo people swarm all over the place in skinny jeans and spotted tops, studded belts and trousers halfway down their backsides.
And THAT ladies and gentlemen, is why I will never, ever shop at HT. I'm _NOT_ EMO. I make fun of EMO kids. There was one at university who I made everyone laugh at, every single time he came into class until he finally started to get his damn hair out of his face.

That does beg the question though - At what points do Goth and EMO fashion converge, and how do we fastidiously avoid them?

This thread, and the fact that HT decided to kill their plus sized store, have convinced me that HT is not the answer. In fact, HT is really a question - the answer, is NO.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #792
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladinator
That does beg the question though - At what points do Goth and EMO fashion converge, and how do we fastidiously avoid them?
At the point where stupid teenagers decided they were the same.
In truth, they have nothing in common. But at one point in time, some idiotic teens decided that dark (goth) equates to depression and emotion (emo) equates to depression. Ergo, the bastard mutated scene spawn of the whole "emogoth".
Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna go cry as if my favorite uncle just passed away.

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
People who say they don’t care what people think are usually desperate to have people think they don’t care what people think.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:02 PM   #793
An Eccentric Cellist

*hugs Jilli* Awww, your so adorable...*slap* Don't cry, you'll ruin your eyeliner. And if you say that's the point, then I won't allow for you to take the flame thrower to the local Hot Topic.
An Eccentric Cellist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 04:04 PM   #794
Godslayer Jillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Eccentric Cellist
*hugs Jilli* Awww, your so adorable...*slap* Don't cry, you'll ruin your eyeliner.
Hahaha, I don't wear eyeliner.XD

-Mikhail Bakunin

Quote:
Old 12-22-2006, 04:49 PM   #795
asta_tintora

Location: To the south of one thing, to the east of that one, and slightly to the right.
Hm, so the little buggers nixed Torrid? Ah well, more skinny girl jeans for the rest of them then.
asta_tintora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:33 PM   #796
Vladinator

Sadly, yes. And when you're a fucking fat ass like me, you have few enough options as it is! I was fucking pissed!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #797
Aude Sapere

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkness-creepshow
Metal scene? ......meh why would you want to be a metal head? its not bad music but theres allot more music out there. Oh i think i know some metal scene people, they where black and a band t-shirt all the time lol how ugly a band t-shirt....heheh sorry dont like the metal scene.

Meh, i like Metal, but i don't do band t-shirts since i ussually only listen to a few songs from various artists. I would feel...fake if i sported a "chimaira" t-shirt and had only heard and liked "stigmurder". Thier style is rather boring anyway, just jeans and a black band t-shirt....Whoa!

I only surf through clearence at Hot Topic now because i refuse to spend a fortune on only 2 articles of clothing. A pair of black capri pants, a shirt, and a bullet belt there cost me almost $100. Never again. It feels so good when i can find a decent t-shirt and only have to pay $5 for it when its an additional %50 off.
Aude Sapere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #798
Feeble Minded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godslayer Jillian
At the point where stupid teenagers decided they were the same.
Exactly that. Only It's worse. Stupid teenagers tell the younger ones who can't tell their ass from the ground... That's when it gets to the point that emo/punk/goth all come together and swirl into a mix of confusion to the ones that aren't ignorant.
Feeble Minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:43 PM   #799
deathbecomesme

I was shocked today cause Hot Topic actually had some really good stuff and prices for the first time i have ever seen, I was at the mall picking up a print from the camera place and i passed Hot Topic so i decided to just go in for what the hell and see if their was anything at all good and in the clearance section they had a pair of jeans that looked just like these:

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue3.php?p=66

I already own a pair from The Dark Angel so i know what they look like up close and they had a pair excatly like them for only 6 bucks, and a really nice pin strip black vest, kinda like this one:

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue3.php?pic=2&p=41

just not with crest for only 3 bucks, but pin strips that were grey, and a shirt that i swear is an exact copy of this one:

http://www.thedarkangel.co.uk/catalogue3.php?p=39

that only costed 5 bucks so all in all i got a new outfit for only 14 USD and a some what restored hope for Hot Topic not a big one cause their was a bunch of prepies in their buying anime and hello kitty junk but a small bit of hope that one day Hot Topic will be good again(not likely but still)
...the costume without the brain."
--Peter Murphy
deathbecomesme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:39 PM   #800
Clockwork

O_O

I'm shocked. I... didn't know Hot Topic had those deals. That wasn't bad clothing either, especially compared to those wretched band tees and Tripp pants. Perhaps I'll chance a look next time I'm at the mall sometime this year.

I've been eying The Dark Angel for some time now, but the prices have been problematic, what with exchange rates and shipping. So I do like Hot Topic for making things somewhat accessible, when they do have something worthy of purchase. It still has this annoying aura about it though...