Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > Fashion
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fashion DIY tips and gratuitous plugs. And hair. Hair! Flow it, show it. Wait...no. That's some hippie musical. Nevermind.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:44 PM   #1
Dragoness2071

Firsty DIY

I've tried making a skirt once, but it fell apart. o_o

Any good "first time" or beginner DIY projects???
It'd be really cool if I could learn how to make my own clothes instead of buyinf *expensive* awesome stuff, haha.

Thanks~
Dragoness2071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #2
Sanguine Heart

Go to your local craft shop and pick up a pattern, it will make your project much easier, and you can use them over and over ^^.
Sanguine Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #3
maromi12d3

I say a necklace. Or some kind of simple choker. I made a skirt with the help of someone and I hope to next make pants a skirt and a shirt. Ask around the family there has to be someone who knows how to sew, a friend too. Thats how I found my teacher.
maromi12d3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Elysiume

A good way to get started on DIY is to buy cheap clothes from thrift stores etc. and alter them to look awesome and expensive. An easy one is ripping jeans, as this requires no sewing. Sewing patches, spikes and other embellishments is very simple, but if you really suck at it, you can get iron on stuff. Trying to make something from scratch when you have very little experience is a bad idea, as it can be very off-putting if / when you fail.

"I am a citizen of the universe!"
- Porucík Servadac, Na Komete (1970)
Elysiume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
mindless1

I like the fun of making an old pair of jeans into skirts. You really only need a pair of jeans, scizzors, and a sowing machine.

Sometimes it's fun in big cities to go thrifting, and you'll always find something fun, if you look hard enough.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:22 AM   #6
DRM

Maybe start by putting patches on things, or altering and decorating your clothes, then build up to creating clothes from scratch.
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote