Gothic.net News Horror Gothic Lifestyle Fiction Movies Books and Literature Dark TV VIP Horror Professionals Professional Writing Tips Links Gothic Forum

Go Back   Gothic.net Community > Boards > General
Register Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

General General questions and meet 'n greet and welcome!

Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
AshleyO

I've got to recommend this.

Alright guys. I've been doing P90X coupled with the show I'm working on which has a big fight call every rehearsal since the beginning of August.

And I've got to say. Results. Good ones. Noticeable ones.

Pounds are melting off.

Look into it guys.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Rip off a million poor people and Wall street has no problems. " -Rebecca B
AshleyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Alan

How can you follow such a specific diet?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #3
Versus

Pictures. Do it.
Had me creepin' 'round corners, homie sleepin' in my vest.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Versus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Murder.Of.Crows

Oohhh, do you have any sexy washboard abs yet?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
AshleyO

I'm only about 10 days in, so I've got a long way to go. I think the one thing that I can tell is an immediate result is having a shitload of energy.

As far as following such a specific diet, its not that strict. It's mostly proteins based on lean white meats, good fats, lots of veggies, and going light on the complex carbs. You're not really depriving your body of anything essential, you're just refocusing what you'd probably already be eating.

SOME people don't even need to do that phase 1 diet and can probably go straight to Phase 2.

I don't have washboard abs yet, but they're looking close to that when I flex my stomach.

Right now, all I can say is that if feels good, man.

"God always picks the strangest things to get angry about. Get an abortion or gay married and he'll aim a tornado right at you.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Versus

That's kickass, dude. Stay motivated and stay hungry.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #7
AshleyO

Alright... Been doing this (p90x dieting and the workouts coupled with rehearsal fight calls) for a while now.

I've gotten stronger. My arms post workout have gotten bigger.

My core, while not as immediate as I'd like has gotten trimmer.

I wish I had a day 1 pic. But if I can remember, I'll post a day 30 or 32 pic.

Oh, and that interesting rip in the chest that goes across... yeah, that's getting there when I flex.

Also, not sure how this is supposed to work, but it appears that I've kind of plateaued in weight. I seem to be stuck at roughly 175 lbs give or take. It could be due to the fact that I'm putting on muscle. It would make sense I suppose. I've been eating a lot of lean meats like tuna and turkey, low fat cottage cheese, avacados, protein shakes, fruit juice (no high fructose garbage), almonds, and egg whites. That's pretty much the sum total of my diet. So I think my muscles are growing here.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
I've gotten stronger. My arms post workout have gotten bigger.
Your biceps, right? XD

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
AshleyO

Yeah. Bis are getting there. I honestly haven't seen my arms anything similar to this since I was doing martial arts 7 days a week when I was a teen.

Old 08-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Versus

May I interject?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
AshleyO

Sure. Black text

Old 08-15-2012, 05:48 AM   #12
Versus

I'm not sure if you just mean your biceps, or some combination of muscles in your arms, but I always found this helpful because I see it enough that I just assume now. You mentioned your beach muscles enough for me to blow a whistle. XD

Quote:
Teh Bicepts

Question - Why isn't there any direct arm work? I wunt my gunz!

There is direct arm work included in this program, but it is designed so that the inexperienced newb doesn't overdo his arm work.

Here is what typically happens with a novice weight trainee.

1) They suck at the "big exercises" because compounds like squats, deads, benches, presses and pulls are difficult when you first start out. You can't get the technique right, you are wobbly and uneven, etc. As a result, you are unable to truly tax your torso or leg muscle groups.

2) They have TONS of leftover energy because the weight they used on the compounds doesn't really stress their muscles excessively, so when it comes time to train arms, they get overzealous and obliterate the arms with all their leftover zeal

3) Arm work is VERY easy to perform, both from a physical standpoint and from a mental standpoint. Curls are easy, squats are hard. The untrained, unconditioned novice is also undisciplined, and a result, will put less effort into the big exercises and more into the arm exercises, because they are easy

4) Arms are, even for newbs, EXTREMELY easy to hit hard and "get that burn/pump". As a result, newbs end up w/ crippling DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) in their arms, and on the 2nd day following, they are unable to train their presses or pulls because their arms are complete jello.

5) Couple the above with the ridiculously intense "arm fascination" that the typical 14-year old has, and you have a recipe for disaster.

By placing the direct arm work approximately 3-4 weeks into the program, you are able to develop a base conditioning level so that once you DO add the arm work, your arms are already well conditioned, and the arm work becomes icing on the cake and doesn't interfere with your main workout exercises. This means significantly greater growth in their entire body, including their arms. In the end, very experienced people have developed this to maximize your growth all over, including your arms. Your arms will grow better if you don't overdo it at first.
Quote:
Question - I want to cut up for the beach and get a 6-pack. Can I get a 6-pack from this program?

The "6-pack" is a result of 3 things

1) Muscular development of the abs
2) Low bodyfat
3) Enough muscle all over the body so that the skin is stretched thin enough across the abs to demonstrate them

Some people who are barbell novices may have abs, but usually they are involved in some type of strength/endurance sport, such as soccer, hockey, track, and especially martial arts and wrestling, etc. These individuals may be naturally muscular and lean, and probably have developed a good bit of muscle via their sport. As a result, they may not have significant muscle mass as compared to a bodybuilder, but they are still well developed compared to the untrained individual.

This program builds muscle mass. Diet and cardio are used to burn bodyfat. If your bodyfat is low, then you may very well find that the muscular development you get from this program is enough to help your abs show, especially if you eat a very clean, well-balanced (for muscle building) diet.

If you don't have abs now, and you are a chubby, NO weight training program will get you a 6-pack without dietary adjustments and cardio. As a newb to weight training, your best bet is simply to clean up your diet, maintain a strict food log, and monitor your calorie intake and morning post-take-a-dump bodyweight. Don't try to lose weight (unless you're pretty fat), try to maintain. This will allow your body to burn bodyfat for fuel while building muscle. This is ESPECIALLY effective for chubby teenagers and out-of-shape older guys who used to be athletic/lean and can use muscle memory to help them get back in shape.

Take 6 weeks and focus on eating a maintenance diet and developing your strength. Monitor your progress and THEN start tweeking.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #13
AshleyO

I'll have to keep that in mind. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
AshleyO

Okay. So you guys wanted photos. This is day 16 or 18. At this point, I'm kinda losing track of the days, but I think I started on the 1st or 2nd of August give or take.

This is where I'm at so far. Not too shabby in my opinion. Got about 2.5 more months to go.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
Alan

If I don't want to lose weight should I skip that art of the workout plan?
real classy
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Miss Absynthe

WRT the weight plateau thingy... it does that. And it is really hard on your motivation when that happens.

Try keeping track of measurements and with a photo journal instead of using weight as a measuring stick.. it isn't anywhere near as accurate as people think it is.

Oh, and yay for you! Sincerely meant.. I'm trying to lose weight (ok, so I'm not just trying - I'm succeeding in losing weight.. 50kg in the last year.) and getting fitter as well, and I know how hard it is. It's really encouraging to see someone doing so well at it all.
Miss Absynthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #17
Versus

Good shit, dude. How come you're tying to lose weight?

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #18
AshleyO

In a way, I'm not trying to just lose weight. I mean, yes I am, but at the same time, I'm also trying to build muscle.

Thing is, I'm getting older and I started to realize pretty quickly that I couldn't just eat what I wanted anymore or anything of that nature. I also used to weigh 215 pounds as a kid, which is something I don't ever want to see again.

So I'll settle for packing on muscle weight and losing a bodyfat percentage.

A lot of this is just a realization that I have to start taking better care of my body.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #19
AshleyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If I don't want to lose weight should I skip that art of the workout plan?
Skip which part of the workout plan?

I wouldn't skip anything. Do all of it. Getting size is accomplished by two things. Eating big and lifting low repetitions and high resistance.

The p90x workout routine is a combination of resistance training and cardio in such a way that it creates muscle confusion. During the resistance training parts, you want to lift heavy with low reps and the cardio will just help you tone the muscle and also may help them get stronger anyway.

As for eating, you'll want to eat a lot. I'm not sure if you're still a vegan or if you have certain rules about how you eat but being that you're a smaller frame that doesn't need to lose any weight, I'd say focus on eating a whole lot of protein and complex carbs with some good fats.

Apparently, muscle growth and weight gain in muscle is roughly gained about .25 lbs to .5 lbs each week if someone is training correctly. That doesn't seem like a lot, but packing on 1 to 2 pounds of muscle in a month with your low BF% would start to show pretty quickly.

Due to what I assume is your fast metabolism, you might pack on muscle much faster than most people.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #20
Versus

I'm really skeptical about 90x's claim to bypass peaking. I'm not familiar with anything other then a legitmate reset that gets through it. I say legitimate because it's far more common for people to say they've peaked when they just aren't getting the right rest/nutrition or they say they've peaked because they used to e able to add 10 pounds to their press every time they go to do it and can't anymore. The only real reason someone can stall in progression is if they approach their generic limitations and that's almost never the case.

But yeah, Alan; what AshleyO said. I wouldn't worry about how you're going to eat. And most likely it would sort itself out positively. Probably the best thing to do if you're worried about eating right is to just run your ass off. Of you're anything like me, muscle failure or lifting weights alone won't really exhaust you enough to make you eat right. Cardio usually burns through more energy so if I do it enough I can't help but want to eat more. The thing is that it doesn't go anywhere.

Like, as an example, when I joined the army I weighted 109 pounds. I was super malnourished and didn't have a bit of muscle or fat on me. I would pick at food and just not be very hungry. By the end of my basic training four months later, I gained almost 30 pounds and was fucking ravenous, but i hadnt put on very much fat. We only had a few minutes to eat so I would literally douse my food in syrup or Gatorade just so I could lubricate it enough that I didn't have to chew it and could eat more in the time I had. I was just that hungry all the fuckibg time and I was still so tired that I could sleep standing up.

I'm in a lot better shape physically then I was then so it's a lot harder for me to get so hungry (like 2 weeks ago I almost maxed my semi-annual fitness test with a few hours of sleep and a tiny TV dinner the night before) but I still can't sleep and eat like shit so my body isn't going anywhere and won't improve until I change that.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:09 PM   #21
Versus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
In a way, I'm not trying to just lose weight. I mean, yes I am, but at the same time, I'm also trying to build muscle.

Thing is, I'm getting older and I started to realize pretty quickly that I couldn't just eat what I wanted anymore or anything of that nature. I also used to weigh 215 pounds as a kid, which is something I don't ever want to see again.

So I'll settle for packing on muscle weight and losing a bodyfat percentage.

A lot of this is just a realization that I have to start taking better care of my body.
I know the feeling. I only asked because I wanted to make sure you don't think you're fat. XD Because that would be stupid.

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #22
AshleyO

No. I don't think I'm fat. I can look in the mirror and see where I'm soft. Usually around the lower back/lower tummy/mid tummy area... except that crotch V is getting pretty pronounced, so it's starting to shrink.

My main goal is to try to get down to around a solid 8% or less bodyfat. Considering that I'm probably in the ballpark of 12~14%, I don't think that goal is too lofty at all.

I'm certain that muscle confusion as in keeping your body from getting used to a routine is a good way to keep the plateaus from happening. It makes sense to me intuitively.

If anything, the P90 routine seems to be varied enough to at least keep exercise from being boring and that's a plus.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #23
Versus

Also, I just looked at the navy PRT out of curiosity. Apparently, sailors can rest on the ground when doing those half sit up things. And their scored on the run is adjusted when they're at high altitudes. /jealous

-Breathin, Tupac.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #24
AshleyO

The Navy PRT is a bullshit joke.

I DO think that bootcamp nutrition needs to be improved.

I remember that throughout the day, you got a SHIT LOAD of carbs. Like a buttload, which makes sense, but I remember protein being pretty light, which doesn't make sense to me, especially when you got a bunch of rotund dudes who have 8 weeks to become kinda fit. Those guys don't need carbs, they need fiber and ketosis and protein to maintain their muscle mass.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #25
Murder.Of.Crows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versus View Post
Also, I just looked at the navy PRT out of curiosity. Apparently, sailors can rest on the ground when doing those half sit up things. And their scored on the run is adjusted when they're at high altitudes. /jealous
I wouldn't know, the people I drill with are all wannabe hard core.